Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 08:57 PM

854 posts, read 520,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
for christs sakes ...you are only 32?? i have cologne older than you!!

if i were a dog...id be 310 yrs old....

dont misinterpret maturity for being boring..

most of us have had many youthful indescretions....that was kinda stupid,,,we learn from them and avaoid them..

yeah,,people mature being late 20's or 30's because theyve learned .. many different excitements can lead to trouble quickly

also keep this in mind.....most people come into their own in their late 20's and early 30's..

meaning they are getting over the b.s. and anchors from their childhoods and early 20's....they look thru their own eyes and not the reflection of others..

you control your own life.....stop comparing to others...
if others,,have kids then yes they are naturally going to be more boring,,,they are parents now

most of the time...you get what you give...smile more say hi.... give someone a smile,,,,,even if its an old person,,,it feels good...

steer your own ship,,,,dont wallow in the currents of others....set goals and work towards them..

im in my early 50's.....i didnt like birthdays in my 40's,,,,, i was feeling older,,,but when i have birthdays now,,,i jump for joy......celebrating i made it this long

wake up in the morning and start saying out loud five things you are thankful for....
appreciate ...dont expect
the comment about your cologne made me chuckle. I'd imagine 32 year old cologne probably smells more like petroleum though? Sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 07:00 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Why is adulthood so painfully boring? I'm at the point where I think virtually all adults suffer from some form of mild to severe depression, sadness or just a closeted disdain for life.

When I was a kid, I used to look forward to being a grownup because I thought that people would stop being mean to each other (and to me). That illusion was quickly shattered when I turned 18 and hit my 20's. People still bully, but bullying takes different forms.

And as an adult, making friends is so much harder. I don't know why exactly. I think people just find a partner and have kids and think they don't need to make new friends anymore.

And what happened to our sense of imagination that we had as children? The ability to just have fun and get lost in your imagination. I still have mine, but I am considered 'weird' for being a dreamer.

Why is adulthood so boring and mundane? We go to work/school, pay bills, have children that will probably end up hating us, them we get old and slowly die. Many of us are ridiculously lonely and miserable, yet the solution is always to throw anti depressants at the problem.

Does anyone else feel the same about adulthood?
What a sad existence. So, it sounds like you haven't matured mentally from your childhood, real life isn't a fairy tale no matter you are 5 or 50. Your destiny is something that you determine, how you interact with people and the world around you is up to you. If your days are filled with misery, what do you want to do about it? Are you willing to make changes? Do you have the courage to begin a journey to find peace within yourself? Are you confident and mature enough to look in the mirror and see your weaknesses, and then work towards strengthening them? Life can be a great gift, we will sometimes love and laugh and we will sometimes cry, that's all part of the journey. Or it can be something that is unfulfilling and squandered, please think about that.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:24 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
I don't have any answers for you, except maybe the tip that no one else here has an answer for you either. You've got to find it, and I believe that asking your question is part of your search.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:25 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
As I have gotten older, I DO appreciate that life is short and, I feel like that understanding motivates me to enjoy life more. Yeah, it is harder to make close friends when we get older. People are more reserved, have less time or energy to invest in long term friendships. But, if you pursue new interests, it's not so hard to meet people who enjoy the same things and, although they may never become life long friends, you can still engage with them. Little things that I do take on more meaning to me now then when I was younger; learning to play an instrument, learning how to make a truly kick ass pie, or just a hike with the dogs. Life IS what you make it, and nobody is going to make it for you. But you are right, the clock keeps on kicking...

Old 01-30-2017, 08:42 AM

772 posts, read 913,920 times
Quote:
Why is adulthood so painfully boring? I'm at the point where I think virtually all adults suffer from some form of mild to severe depression, sadness or just a closeted disdain for life.

When I was a kid, I used to look forward to being a grownup because I thought that people would stop being mean to each other (and to me). That illusion was quickly shattered when I turned 18 and hit my 20's. People still bully, but bullying takes different forms.

And as an adult, making friends is so much harder. I don't know why exactly. I think people just find a partner and have kids and think they don't need to make new friends anymore.

And what happened to our sense of imagination that we had as children? The ability to just have fun and get lost in your imagination. I still have mine, but I am considered 'weird' for being a dreamer.

Why is adulthood so boring and mundane? We go to work/school, pay bills, have children that will probably end up hating us, them we get old and slowly die. Many of us are ridiculously lonely and miserable, yet the solution is always to throw anti depressants at the problem.

Mine started going that way... then you have to find something you like.. for me it was ATV'ing on offroad trails ..

maybe yours is drawing, fishing, ...

But you have to find something that is actually fun and enjoy doing, otherwise, yes, your life will turn out that way.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
What a sad existence. So, it sounds like you haven't matured mentally from your childhood, real life isn't a fairy tale no matter you are 5 or 50. Your destiny is something that you determine, how you interact with people and the world around you is up to you. If your days are filled with misery, what do you want to do about it? Are you willing to make changes? Do you have the courage to begin a journey to find peace within yourself? Are you confident and mature enough to look in the mirror and see your weaknesses, and then work towards strengthening them? Life can be a great gift, we will sometimes love and laugh and we will sometimes cry, that's all part of the journey. Or it can be something that is unfulfilling and squandered, please think about that.
While I admit to not being as mature I should be in some respects, this is just deflecting from the more existential aspect of what I'm trying to say and the fact that making friends as an adult is very difficult. And yes, I've tried groups. The problem is that when you hit your late 20's, your peers are off staring families while you're left behind. The few friends I do have are online friends and younger than me. But I'm sure at some point they'll conform and start families too.

Adulthood seems to be a split between those who marry and have children and those who don't.

But yes, I admit some of it is me. In many ways I had to grow up way too fast and it caused me to miss out.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:39 AM

772 posts, read 913,920 times
Quote:
While I admit to not being as mature I should be in some respects, this is just deflecting from the more existential aspect of what I'm trying to say and the fact that making friends as an adult is very difficult. And yes, I've tried groups. The problem is that when you hit your late 20's, your peers are off staring families while you're left behind. The few friends I do have are online friends and younger than me. But I'm sure at some point they'll conform and start families too.

Adulthood seems to be a split between those who marry and have children and those who don't.

But yes, I admit some of it is me. In many ways I had to grow up way too fast and it caused me to miss out.

I think if you had kids, your would realize how much time it actually consumes....

Why don't you find a wife, that is also your best friend, that doesn't want kids, assuming you dont ? and start enjoying life together ? whatever that may be ? bike riding , travel, hiking etc etc

Old 01-30-2017, 11:15 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:

This the problem is within you. Most adults enjoy their freedom and maturity.

BTW, we start to die the day we are born.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
I think if you had kids, your would realize how much time it actually consumes....

Why don't you find a wife, that is also your best friend, that doesn't want kids, assuming you dont ? and start enjoying life together ? whatever that may be ? bike riding , travel, hiking etc etc
I don't want a "wife" !! I'm not a lesbian

Old 01-30-2017, 12:46 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:

My adulthood has been NOTHING like that. It's full of adventures, travel, new experiences, wonderful friends, and really just all kinds of great experiences.

So, no, I don't feel the same about adulthood. It's not "life", it's the way you choose to live it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology