Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 10:14 AM

854 posts, read 520,601 times

Advertisements

Why is it that when someone expresses something perceived as 'negative', many people will tell them they need therapy or medication?

That's the problem in America especially. The tendency to just push people off with pills and therapy, rather than consider that they might actually be correct.

It is true that many forms of depression can be helped with medication and therapy. But in other cases, there may be no chemical imbalance - the individual might have a legitimate complaint or point.

You cannot cure situational or existential depression with pills. Therapy only goes so far and may even make matters worse for people who've simply been unlucky in life due to genetics, upbringing or social / economic status. I believe that many people are miserable because they're not really being themselves and they're repressing something. Societal pressure forces us to lead lives that we might secretly despise, but we tell ourselves that life is good and most people can probably fake it.

But if you question why life is the way it is or express sadness that the human race behaves a certain way, most people will make you feel like there's something wrong with you for simply being 'unplugged' and able to see reality for what it is. It could be argued thar you'd have to be mentally out of whack to be happy in the face of so many attrocities commuted by the human race and so much inequality in the world.

Let's be careful when we so candidly tell people to see a therapist or take pills because we *assume* that they're mentally ill, especially if we are not trained mental health professionals. Some people simply want to be heard. Many of us are just lonely and therapists are not meant to be substitutes for human connections.

Last edited by Crazy-Cat-Lady; 01-27-2017 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 10:45 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Why is it that when someone expresses something perceived as 'negative', many people will tell them they need therapy or medication?

That's the problem in America especially. The tendency to just push people off with pills and therapy, rather than consider that they might actually be correct.

It is true that many forms of depression can be helped with medication and therapy. But in other cases, there may be no chemical imbalance - the individual might have a legitimate complaint or point.

You cannot cure situational or existential depression with pills. Therapy only goes so far and may even make matters worse for people who've simply been unlucky in life due to genetics, upbringing or social / economic status. I believe that many people are miserable because they're not really being themselves and they're repressing something. Societal pressure forces us to lead lives that we might secretly despise, but we tell ourselves that life is good and most people can probably fake it.

But if you question why life is the way it is or express sadness that the human race behaves a certain way, most people will make you feel like there's something wrong with you for simply being 'unplugged' and able to see reality for what it is.

Let's be careful when we so candidly tell people to see a therapist or take pills, especially if we are not trained mental health professionals. Some people simply want to be heard. Many of us are just lonely and therapists are not meant to be substitutes for human connections.
The trouble with America is that not enough people go to therapy.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The trouble with America is that not enough people go to therapy.
The trouble with America is that we don't address the root causes of why many people need therapy in the first place.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
The trouble with America is that we don't address the root causes of why many people need therapy in the first place.
So what is your problem? What's the root cause? Your other thread only mentions your life being boring. Have you looked into adding things to your life that will make you feel active and engaged?

What do you need from us?

Old 01-27-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
So what is your problem? What's the root cause? Your other thread only mentions your life being boring. Have you looked into adding things to your life that will make you feel active and engaged?

What do you need from us?
Maybe if you re-read it you'll see that I mean "on general" not just about me. Or are you going to tell me that there aren't millions of lonely and unhappy people out there who might welcome such a discussion?

Old 01-27-2017, 11:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Maybe if you re-read it you'll see that I mean "on general" not just about me. Or are you going to tell me that there aren't millions of lonely and unhappy people out there who might welcome such a discussion?
I don't know why you're so angry. If someone is bored with life, my answer is the same. Find things that will make you feel active and engaged.

FYI, there is nothing wrong with telling someone to get therapy. I've been to therapy and it's great. I would recommend it for most people even if they don't believe they have a dire problem. Therapy helps with clarity, understanding, and can provide valuable direction.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I don't know why you're so angry. If someone is bored with life, my answer is the same. Find things that will make you feel active and engaged.

FYI, there is nothing wrong with telling someone to get therapy. I've been to therapy and it's great. I would recommend it for most people even if they don't believe they have a dire problem. Therapy helps with clarity, understanding, and can provide valuable direction.
How am I being angry?

Old 01-27-2017, 12:27 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
"Pills and therapy" aren't the same and can't be discussed as such.

Some negative thoughts are more concerning than others. When I hear someone express a negative thought that I recognize as stemming from more than just a rant, I often suggest therapy because it has helped me deal with former deep-seated emotional development issues that led to negative thoughts.

Most people who suggest it here aren't just saying, "Get therapy" like they would say, "Get a life!" They usually mean it earnestly.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:36 PM

3,958 posts, read 2,573,640 times
I agree with your post, Cat!

Sometimes I think depressed people to be the honest souls, seeing the injustices and pain all around. Not easy to push it aside, especially if there is no one to share. How could we not feel the negativity around without reacting?

Those who have connections, family, friends can share the thoughts and feelings that arise. It doesn't make the,problems do away but it could be easier to move on to other conversatioms and activities with loved ones.

But as a person who is always alone, I do not have that buffer. And it makes me very, very lonely

Even harder when I have difficult or hurtful personal things in my life. I don't share them with many in my life- too much to trust others with. Plus, *I never share it here either. Too many pieces of advice, esp. the less than positive ones. (They don't fit in my pocket. )

My biggest strength- handling it MYSELF -is my biggest weakness. Because it sure would be helpful to find support. :- (

*it is why I don't post often... all the troubles crowd out the good things, good conversations.

Last edited by Wild Flower; 01-27-2017 at 12:46 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 12:41 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
It's too hard to give a thoughtful response without more information, and it's apparent that you do have some specific situations in mind. Without knowing any specific information, we can't really agree or disagree with your opinion. Your OP is just too generic.

My generic response would be that people feel the need to cheer people up or to be helpful, for the most part. If someone is spewing doom and gloom, it's a natural response to try to find a bright side, and if that doesn't work, then to offer a possible solution that may help the person feel better.

It would be a more unusual response for someone to say, Yeah, might as well die, huh? Or Yeah, life really s*cks.

People don't like being around depressed people, or doom and gloom types, for the most part. So, they'll often try to offer a solution, try to cheer someone up - then avoid that person if they continue on with their negative attitude.

Everyone has their own problems. If you weight them down with doom and gloom whenever they see you, they can't afford to be around you. They're trying too hard not to focus on their own problems. Being around a doom and gloomer is too much work in the emotional department.

Good friends will put up with some doom and gloom so they can have the right to have down days, but it needs to be balanced with being cheered up in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology