Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 06:26 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,797,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I'm not sure if you can really separate that.

For example, watching basketball and playing and listening to jazz music is very enjoyable for me, but I know they have almost no pull with most people. Well, basketball does, but it's not considered 'interesting'.

I do have a wide range of interests in stuff that others would find interesting. I like museums, broadway plays, off broadway, all types of concerts, skiing, and love to travel. In an ideal world, I would probably do one of those things every weekend. But they're too expensive.
Yep, your life doesn't have to be interesting to anyone else but you. I like all those things too but many of the things I do are cheap or low cost--even travel, and I have more fun with that if I spend less b/c it's easier to meet the locals when camping for instance, than if I were staying in a fancy hotel. In fact, one of my worst travel experiences was staying in a very expensive hotel in Italy, tho maybe b/c they thought we were the Beverly Hillbillies, lol.

One thing I do is to make sure I always have something fun to look forward to. I love contra dances so I do that often and when I have a doc appt in St. Louis, I schedule my dr. appt for Monday b/c the dance is on Sunday night. The dances are the best deal I've found--$7 to get in at the door, no partner needed, and there is almost always a live band.

Last week when I had a dental surgery scheduled, I set it on Thurs, b/c the Tedeschi Trucks band was playing on Wed and I had tickets. LOL. Great show btw--if you like the Allman Bros and Bonnie Raitt, you would love these guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 11:46 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,000,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yep, your life doesn't have to be interesting to anyone else but you.
I love this. My mum just turned 85 & has slowed down quite a bit. She still goes to exercise classes 3-times/wk & walks my brother's dogs around the block everyday, albeit slower, but she is spending most of time in her room, on a rocking chair, reading & listening to the radio. She reads about 7 books/wk.

When I recently visited, my brother & I kept trying to lure her out everyday & she finally said, "I raised 6 kids. I worked at the same nursing home caring for patients for 35-yrs. I'm not bored. I'm in my glory in my own room, no house to take care of, snacking on cookies & reading in peace. No time clock, no schedule, no kids, no one to take care of but myself. Now go do something!" Haha.

We all thought she was depressed behind her closed door. For her, it's finally an opportunity to tune out others & enjoy her own company.

Quote:
Last week when I had a dental surgery scheduled, I set it on Thurs, b/c the Tedeschi Trucks band was playing on Wed and I had tickets. LOL.
That's great. I do the same with ballet. I once blew off a mid-term exam in my 20s to see Baryshnikov dance. I can't tell you what pleading it took to make my football coaching teacher understand that the arts were just as important as his games AND the calculus class he taught. He let me take the mid-term alone one night after school because I was so persuasive, but I'll never forget the perplexed look he kept giving me, that I'd miss a math exam for silly old prancing about involving men in tights.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:53 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Love that also - your life doesn't have to be interesting to anyone else but you.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:31 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,773,496 times
Sorry to hear about your cancer. Sounds like you have a pretty good attitude.

For the most part my life is boring but I have come to accept and even like this plain life. I like to keep things simple. I don't want a life full of drugs, sex, and drama. I have found that the simplier my life is the happier I am. I still like to do outdoor activites, workout, etc. But I'm content with just reading a good book and writing in my notebook.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:31 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
I never get bored. That is how interesting life is to me. However, people who talk endlessly make me tired as well as shopping at malls, not to be confused with boredom.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:57 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
My life at this point in time, is as interesting as I want it...I want for nothing...and I feel so blessed.

I'm so thankful for everything that has happened and excited about what is yet to come...as I plan on moving in two years...so, we'll see, where that goes?

I am quite content, and have had numerous positive influences during the course of my life, and am still a work in progress....we never stop learning....

So, in life, yeah, indeed I say with a smile, it has been very interersting to say the least....

Old 02-02-2017, 01:06 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post

I love studying the American Civil War
what came first, the interest or the location?

Old 02-02-2017, 01:07 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,923,585 times
Take my presence on city-data as an indicator that my life isn't yet as interesting as I'd like it to be.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:46 PM

393 posts, read 409,323 times
My life is probably not interesting, but I'm happy. I do simple things, read, run, watch some movies, eat, clean the house, fold clothes, nap, take shower. Most would consider that not exciting at all, but I'm content.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:40 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Sorry to hear about your cancer. Sounds like you have a pretty good attitude.

For the most part my life is boring but I have come to accept and even like this plain life. I like to keep things simple. I don't want a life full of drugs, sex, and drama. I have found that the simplier my life is the happier I am. I still like to do outdoor activites, workout, etc. But I'm content with just reading a good book and writing in my notebook.
Most days I'm content with that as well. After all the books are interesting and I have much to process about my life.

As far as the cancer goes I don't worry about that anymore. I've been dealing with it for going on 4 years now and only doing holistic, which is why it's been such as interesting hobby. It's been fascinating to watch my life unfold as I do this and it's not growing or spreading so I no longer worry much. I feel that my life has improved greatly since I got the dx so how's that for a good attitude? LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology