Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 06:51 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It could be seen as a luxury, but it's really a documented curse, the paradox of choice, in which the perception of "too many choices" leads to "decision paralysis" and unhappiness.

thats why we should have goals......short an long term,,

and work towards them..

lets flip this around..

how many peers or friends or famiy have you known that at 24 they had to grow up too quickly,,,,either by tragedy,,, going off to war,,,or having 2-3 kids by 24..

lifes events starts defining you because of surviving....

but,,now we have a snowflake,,,, that can do and be whatever she wants,,,,,and is confused because theirs too many choices??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 06:55 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAborg View Post
Move to California then. We don't care here
I'm a male, heterosexual Californian.

I respect all gender orientations GLBTx where x = anything goes. In fact I have greatly benefited from my friendship with gay (male) and lesbian friends that I've met from time to time throughout my life, including one of my BFFs who came out as a "chicken hawk." But he was my friend, and his sexual orientation never affected our friendship. I even met some of his "boys" and although I didn't approve (because some were under the age of consent), I greatly appreciate that he and his friends always did their dirty when they were in a private setting not including me.

I've platonically dated a few lesbian women and found them to be interesting companions. I didn't expect sex from them any more than I expect sex from my current platonic girlfriend who has traditional gender orientation. Perhaps one day she and I will get closer physically, perhaps not. I don't judge my relationships on the criteria of "having sex."

Myself, I'm a traditional male. I'm single and interested in meeting a traditional female who shares my gender values. That is what my dating site profile will be since i intend to try Internet dating sites soon.

Before any of you go off on me for not wanting to see same sex behavior in public, all I can say is that I am not that liberal yet. I don't want to watch two men making out. Two women? Hm. I'll reserve judgement on that for now. Ive seen the former, didnt like the experience. I guess I'd watch two women making out before I decide.

Yah, yah. I guess DNAborg may be right. To be perfectly honest I could care less about who has sex with who, what their race is, whatever. Don't tell me, I don't want to know, but if you don't tell me I'm happy for you.

I think DNAborg and I are representative of many Californians. You have your gig, I have mine. I won't get on your case, don't get on mine. Please excuse me if I don't want to view public displays of sexuality. I'm not all that fond of heterosexual explicit public sexual displays in public either.

By the way, my best ever experience with my gay friends was the night they took me to Studio 1 nightclub in West Hollywood! OMG I've never seen such a night club, never heard such a sound system, I was dazzled, amazed, dumbfounded! Yeah I was approached by a few guys who wondered if I wanted to dance. I didn't. I was content to observe, to experience the spectacle.

Yeah I'm not sure how much my story has to do with this topic but I like to think I tell interesting stories. It was DNAborg's comment about "California, we don't care here" comment that set me off in this post.

I hope DNAborg and I agree in that I hope we Californians are among the least gender or sexually non-biased states in the nation, that we live here in California, and I rejoice that anything goes here as long as all sexual behavior is consensual. -- Even better for me, just speaking for myself, while I seek heterosexual women for relationships, I am extremely non-judgmental about the proclivities of others, and I would be very happy to meet and befriend GLBTs whenever and wherever I meet them. As long as they are non-judgmental about my preference for heterosexual women.

We need a new designation: GLBTH. Gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, heterosexual. Maybe add an X for GLBTHX where X = I haven't decided yet, I don't know, or I may be interested in them all. The age has passed where gender bias and sexual preference is important, except between the participants themselves. We have too many humans on the planet. We have no shortage of breeders. There is no reason to fear non-breeders. They can make very interesting friends!

Last edited by Lovehound; 02-01-2017 at 07:04 PM..

Old 02-01-2017, 07:06 PM

787 posts, read 643,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAborg View Post
Move to California then. We don't care here
Move to California? I live in SF, lol.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Move to California? I live in SF, lol.
Hey TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken, I live in L.A. I'd love to hear if you SF people or at least the people you know in SF would agree with my post above. Also it would be interesting to know what part of California DNAborg resides in.

I'm pretty sure we Californians are on the sexual frontier, that we agree that sexual preferences are nothing to be ashamed of, and are relevant only when you contemplate having sex with somebody.

I've made it completely clear that I welcome friendships with people of any and all sexual preferences, as long as all sexual behavior is consentual. I'd like to add "harm free" to that too. But for those who think differently, just have a "safe word."

Old 02-01-2017, 07:43 PM

59 posts, read 56,762 times
The OP has a gallingly facile "understanding" of what men look for in women. We've all seen this kind of reductive, faux-hip take on the sexes before; it doesn't even rise to the level of cynicism.

Love may be folly incarnate, but it's real.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:45 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I (non-white female) have never had any problems dating interracially. My family was doing it for years. White, Black, Asian, Latino...didn't matter one bit to me. Then again I didn't focus on dating one specific race.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:54 PM

787 posts, read 643,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
P.S. With whom are you suggesting women have relationships, if not men?

Have you really thought this through? Because it makes no sense.
You tell her Ruth4Truth.

Men are awesome.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
P.S. With whom are you suggesting women have relationships, if not men?
Since this is a psychology topic I'll add a new riff to the topic.

I'm a man and would never consider having a sexual relationship with another man. But if I were a woman I wonder if I would consider trying a sexual relationship with another woman?

Admittedly as a man I have no idea what it would be like to be a woman, and if I were a woman maybe I would feel similarly that as a woman I would never consider having a sexual relationship with another woman, but might consider such a thing with a man if I were a man.

Yeah I can tell what you all are thinking: Lovehound, you are out of your ever lovin' mind!

I've been a C-D member for years but never found the Psychology section before. Psychology is a hobby and special interest of mine, enough that I minored in Psychology in college. I'm surprised I never noticed this forum section before. My original interest in C-D was deciding where to move to when I retired.

Now that I've found the Psychology forum section, I kind of like the idea of tossing a cat into a bag full of dogs! Or a dog into a bag full of cats! Watch the fur fly! Wheeee!

Don't get the idea I don't like animals. I picked my username because of my love for dogs. Cats? Meh.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:49 PM

130 posts, read 105,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Hey TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken, I live in L.A. I'd love to hear if you SF people or at least the people you know in SF would agree with my post above. Also it would be interesting to know what part of California DNAborg resides in.

I'm pretty sure we Californians are on the sexual frontier, that we agree that sexual preferences are nothing to be ashamed of, and are relevant only when you contemplate having sex with somebody.

I've made it completely clear that I welcome friendships with people of any and all sexual preferences, as long as all sexual behavior is consentual. I'd like to add "harm free" to that too. But for those who think differently, just have a "safe word."
I live in SF too! LOL Thegoodusernamesweretaken,well if you are living in SF and still get discriminated for your race, you're doing something wrong. Maybe it's not your race but your character, demeanor, or even income. How old are you?

Here in SF i go through the city seeing soooo many couples who are interracials, perhaps as many or even more than same race couples.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:52 PM

130 posts, read 105,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
You tell her Ruth4Truth.

Men are awesome.
"awesome". Yeah men started every war known in history. They have done lots of mass destruction. Men have lower empathy than women, and the overwhelming amount of violent criminals are male.

But they did invent almost everything...

that was responsible for blowing people up...

to cause mass destruction.

No, men are not awesome. Many are, but most are not.

But then, women are only...

slightly better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology