Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 08:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times

Advertisements

Here is an example, this morning it looked like just a minor dusting that wouldn't bother anyone, but it was not slush or powder. The snow fell last night and then some freezing rain coated it, so the road was hard ice. It was hard to even walk on the driveway without falling. I had to wait a while to let it thaw some before leaving and then made it down the hills to where it cleared. We are at 600' elevation but the snow line was just a few blocks below us. If this had continued farther down, schools would have closed and everyone would have stayed home.
Attached Thumbnails
When we hear it's going to snow.-img_0773-2-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 08:10 AM

296 posts, read 319,176 times
Hearing "it's going to snow" has the same meaning to me as "it's going to rain" or "it's going to be cloudy". Just regular weather that requires no additional prep. No panics at grocery stores or states of emergency. Roads get salted and plowed quickly and thoroughly in the Chicago area. Power lines in the city are underground so power never goes out. It would take a truly massive blizzard to shut things down.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:00 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I get a nice, snugly, comfortable feeling when the weather is bad outside, bad enough that the only people out and about are those who have no choice. Meanwhile I'm all cozy in front of a warm fire with all my creature comforts.

I love the feeling of having a well stocked refrigerator, freezer and pantry where I have a variety of my favorite foods and endless choices of which delicious dinner I'll have.

Perhaps people are simply trying to create this feeling of being cozy and tucked in while the wild weather rages outside, the feeling of safety that you have everything you need and the weather can't touch you!

Maybe you can create that cozy feeling even knowing it's only for a day or two.
This is generally how I feel about it. I know that barring a rare event, I'm not going to be stuck for more than a day. I will go to the store before a storm because I like knowing that I have everything I need, and I can stay inside with something nice in the oven while it rages outside.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-03-2017 at 09:31 AM..

Old 02-03-2017, 09:31 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
I was amused by an earlier post "snow in the north" vs. "snow in the south."

Here in Southern California it rains so seldom that vehicular oil leakage saturates the top of the road surface after long periods without rain.

Then the first storm of the season arrives, all the drivers have forgotten how to drive in rain, and the oil floats on top of the rain water and forms the SoCal equivalent of black ice!

I'm fortunate to have experience driving in all climates and all road conditions, but most So. Californians never leave the city, and it rains so seldom that they don't even have experience in driving in rain, even light rain. Accident rates shoot through the roof even with light rains. So. Californians can't handle weather unless it's the sun block required kind.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:46 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Well, if you have a family and the kids will likely home instead of in school, you might want to make sure there is food in the house for meals. If the kids are going to playing outside in the snow, then you need milk for hot cocoa, and you sure need coffee for yourself.

I didn't do this too much, actually. But I do understand the mentality.

When we were being told there would be a winter storm, we did go to the grocery store beforehand because we need some stuff, and I doubted whether I would be able to get out the next day.

The comment about gas in the care is valid.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:

Here in Southern California it rains so seldom that vehicular oil leakage saturates the top of the road surface after long periods without rain.

Then the first storm of the season arrives, all the drivers have forgotten how to drive in rain, and the oil floats on top of the rain water and forms the SoCal equivalent of black ice!

I'm fortunate to have experience driving in all climates and all road conditions, but most So. Californians never leave the city, and it rains so seldom that they don't even have experience in driving in rain, even light rain. Accident rates shoot through the roof even with light rains. So. Californians can't handle weather unless it's the sun block required kind.
Here we have that problem (accidents) when it's sunny, in fact the traffic reporters will say that the traffic is slow due to the sun. We only see it 2-3 months and it gets in people's eyes when driving and they forgot how to use the visors.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:20 PM

191 posts, read 163,670 times
In the South, "snow" means "possible snow but more than likely freezing rain (ICE)." Did you know that some southern states don't even HAVE salt trucks/supplies for clearing roads? And that's assuming we're talking about urban roads. If we're talking about country backroads, well if winter weather hits and you have to commute between rural/suburban areas and downtown, you could run (or skid rather) into trouble. Literally.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:35 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:

Yes, this is hilarious. Saw this all the time growing up in SoCal. I would SLOW WAY down in rain, but no one else would---so accidents everywhere. They think they can drive just as fast in pouring rain.

When I did live in snow country, the power would often go out. Or roads might close. I never did get used to driving in it. And in urban areas, many drivers don't have AWD, much less 4WD.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:47 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azula View Post
In the South, "snow" means "possible snow but more than likely freezing rain (ICE)." Did you know that some southern states don't even HAVE salt trucks/supplies for clearing roads? And that's assuming we're talking about urban roads. If we're talking about country backroads, well if winter weather hits and you have to commute between rural/suburban areas and downtown, you could run (or skid rather) into trouble. Literally.
I learned that when I moved there. "Are you telling me this isn't going to be better by tomorrow?"

Old 02-03-2017, 03:00 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
I get extremely excited because I grew up in Florida, and here in Texas it still doesn't snow much more than once a year. I love snow. I feel I belong up north

Some people complain about the cold but put me in 90 vs 12 degrees, I am more content in 12 given proper clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology