Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 11:13 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,603,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
What is the cure for someone who has trouble making decisions? IS there a fix for that?

It's getting worse, the older I get. I suppose it's because time is shorter, so decisions are more important?

Has anyone overcome this affliction? I would add that I tend to research and gather a lot of facts. I'm thinking it's a type of OCD and muddies the waters?

Any thoughts? I'd like to be more carefree and spend less time worrying and fretting over decisions. Example: I researched and checked out blenders a year ago; I did that for 2 or more months. I ended up not getting one. Too many choices.
Jeez, we must share the same genes... coffee makers, paint colors, tv, chairs, hifi gear... oh god, the hifi gear - I must've spent years deciding on those, started out wanting a decent boom box & I l studied a lot & bought some great high end gear a few years later that I rarely listen to any more, getting ready to sell it now mostly.

I do get frustrated & at a certain point just make myself say "That's enough!" & just start moving on it. I think it's a combination of trying to control my environment & perfectionism or something like that that leads to analysis paralysis. I'm painting some rooms now & trying to decide on what shade of gray - there are hundreds - was overwhelming. I finally decided to concentrate on the 8 most popular & painted 6 samples on my walls & picked 3. I just used the brand most often mentioned by pros, not a bad shortcut for other decisions if available I think.

My mind & approach to life & things is definitely analytical & logical as opposed to emotional or passionate & so I see & evaluate things that way. But at some point I catch myself just tumbling down a bunny hole of more & more info & I have to break & move on. I've discovered that just finding out some basic things about quality & function + whatever current needs I have should suffice. But I do have to force myself to act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 12:41 AM

636 posts, read 392,423 times
Decisions are the worst.

Take the library for example. Imagine, I dunno, 5000 books. Which 4999 books do I NOT want to read today?

There's also the idea of collapsing wave functions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aowYf44gDRY

Now I just use this
http://easydecisionmaker.com/

Old 02-05-2017, 01:01 PM

687 posts, read 616,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
If you have trouble selecting toothpaste even since it's a $2-$4 decision that will affect you for maybe a month if you made the wrong choice, you have a problem that would benefit from seeking help from a mental healthcare professional.

Buy a tube of toothpaste. If you don't like it, buy another one and throw the first one away!
Do You Suffer From Decision Fatigue? - The New York Times

I have had trouble with toothpaste before. Have you ever looked at the packaging? It would take hours to tease out the differences between the 20 types and 8 brands on the shelf. The crazy part is that they aren't really that many options, the manufacturers are only interested in the appearance of options, which actually makes consumers more indecisive and confused, and creates more opportunities for decision fatigue (see article).

There is a gentlemen I know that has trouble with decisions on acquiring items because he thinks about the entire life of the purchase. He thinks about dealing the with styrofoam packaging, how easy the item is to fix, how well it will travel, what it is made out of, what landfill it might end up in. When you begin to think like this, you realize how poorly designed and wasteful most products are. Some people can have blinders on and not care. Some people are far more conscientious, and that is a trait that should be encouraged and respected.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:07 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
I can't quite make up my mind on what to post as a reply to this topic...

Old 02-07-2017, 11:51 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,052,256 times
BPollen: I am right there with you. And it has gotten ALOT worse as I age. I think it's because there are too many choices for everything these days. And the ability to research everything via the internet has complicated even the simplest decisions. I also, as a retiree, like to save money on stuff, so I look and look before buying anything. Thank goodness I never wanted a blender.

My mother used to tell me that I was never satisfied. There was always something better. The only thing I never hesitated on was my spouse. Snap decision. Marry him. Now that should have taken more than a couple weeks and I might have been a whole lot happier. Result: Very bad choice.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:40 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
I made up my mind. I decided to reply to this topic. This is my reply.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:41 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,052,256 times
Lovehound: A few more words might be in order.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:22 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
INeil my early twenties, I realized that there were only two decisions that were 100% irrevocable. Virtually every other decision could be fixed, altered, adjusted or reversed. Those two decisions: Having a child or having an abortion. You can't take either one back or 'fix' it.

I never did either one.

But this knowledge was freedom. I've moved to cities I had never even visited - twice. I've quit jobs without having another. I've owned and eventually sold two businesses. I research my decisions, then get on with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology