Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 12:29 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,147 times

Advertisements

"I could never work nights, I'd fall asleep. I don't know how you do it!"

Uh because I SLEEP during the day.

"Do you fall asleep at work?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 01:51 AM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
I guess it'll always be the same, always have to cater to a 9-5/M-F working world. What about you? Any inconsiderate stories to share?
Very simple:
You don't need to cater to 9-5/M-F working world.
Just say NO to every inappropriate arrangement and go with your own schedule.
People are not so much inconsiderate, they are just too flaky and self absorbed to imagine how world works when someone works different shift.
If not being able to attend their social events really bothers you, then you need to find a shift most of your friends work. Otherwise, just ignore their "offers" and go on with your life and your own schedule.

We could put under Psychology every single odd human behavior, but most not necessarily mean that there is some special "psychology" behind it - just lack of common sense, bad manners, thoughtlessness, and a general trend: "Me first".

Old 07-15-2019, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 421 times
Proper language? Whatever *****!

Old 07-15-2019, 07:38 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Since most people work 1st and sleep "3rd shift" then you need to do the opposite - you work 3rd so you need to sleep 1st. That is, sleep as soon as you can after you get off work. That way you'll be awake roughly the hours most people are when they get home from work in the evenings. I did that for a few years and you'll find things are much easier that way as all of people's "living" is done on 2nd shift.

If you work second, then you are TRULY screwed.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:52 AM

745 posts, read 480,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Since most people work 1st and sleep "3rd shift" then you need to do the opposite - you work 3rd so you need to sleep 1st. That is, sleep as soon as you can after you get off work. That way you'll be awake roughly the hours most people are when they get home from work in the evenings. I did that for a few years and you'll find things are much easier that way as all of people's "living" is done on 2nd shift.

If you work second, then you are TRULY screwed.
I think it is a matter of preference as to when you go to sleep. When I worked third I slept a little later in the afternoon and evening so I would be fresher when I went to work, and it gave me time to run some errands during the day.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:10 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times
I don't have any stories to share since I've never worked the night shift. But yeah, since most people work the day shift, we don't understand what it's like to work that shift. And there is definitely the assumption that the night shift is quiet since most people are asleep. Though it also seems like all the bad people with the bad behavior come out at night.

My then boyfriend (now husband) worked the night shift years ago, and it was difficult for me because he was asleep during the day and I couldn't hang out with him during that time. The entire day passed and I only got to talk to him when he woke up at night to go to work.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:49 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianrocker View Post
Graveyard shift usually means no life. I know I lived it. You either have to get used to it or find another job.
Correction: a healthier life!

I worked the nightshift (10p-6a) for 17 years, I'm now retired, and in my 55+ community a great number of the residents are puzzled why I sleep away the heat of the day, particularly in summer. It's heaven, waking up at 7pm and it's already cooled down here in Tucson, and when it starts to get hot in the morning, I'm off to bed.

If you've ever worked the nightshift for long periods of time, I can well trust you'll never get back to normal hours. My cousin-in-law worked the nightshift for 22 years, now retired, she sleeps all day, up all night, much to the annoyance of her husband.

Ah! Those 2-3am bike rides, with little or no traffic to contend with. I usually walk my ferret early morning hours as well. Never have to deal with heavy traffic. And, being a loner, it suits me too well.

When a family member is in town to visit, I refuse to alter my schedule, and I tell them: You want to meet me for lunch a 1pm. Ok, fine! I'll make that sleep sacrifice! And when I come up to visit you, we'll meet at 1am for lunch!

Being a nightshift worker your skin color may as well by blue, purple, green or black! Expect rampant discrimination and no empathy, but how on earth can you be jealous of day trippers!!! My deepest sympathies to day workers!

Old 07-17-2019, 01:05 PM

892 posts, read 484,517 times
people who care about you will make the effort to deal with that job's requirements. if they had a similar situation and you did that for them, it's only fair.

Old 07-18-2019, 04:48 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
40 years in the work world. Worked every shift. Some for years. Currently working the "vampire" shift.
The reality is my duties are to clean up the errors made by the rush of the other shifts. It's wax on,wax off attitude. My family is respecting that if an event is planned it's on the days I have off. I can modify my sleep time. I do find that since I work every weekend I am less involved in family/friend time. So I value the times set aside.
Yes I think night shift is underated for the real amount of work done. Less managent on staff doesn't mean less work. It actually means more!
A joke in the family is...where's Nov3 today? And the response is..it's daylight...in her coffin resting. I take it in the humor way. Yes the sun for me means...rest. rest.
Just as I'm considerate of others obligations most times my family/friends/community commitments also show the same.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:11 AM

1,153 posts, read 567,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
It's a lost cause; most people just don't understand.

I spent maybe 80% of my employment years as a night shift worker & this was by choice. The only times I worked days was due to not having childcare options overnight.

My body clock is off from typical people & I'm more productive at night. I've been this way since as early as I can remember.

I "have to" be a day person now but it's a struggle. Can't stand the traffic, the people, the mid-morning sun ... Even though I have to be up at 0630 I still can't fall asleep until after 0200 & I can't get much accomplished until after 1400.

There is an assumption among day people that night people are "lazy" because we need to be asleep after sunrise & this is idiotic. I get less sleep than they do. Day people think 8 hrs is mandatory while I'm lucky to get 5.

Not only do friends & family not "get it" but I've had employers that didn't understand. One employer had me scheduled for two 0700-1900 shifts & one 1900-0700 shifts per week & the next week I was scheduled for two 1900-0700 shifts & one 0700-1900 shifts per week. And this went on for 3 months before I finally put my foot down. I had a 45+ minute commute & was falling asleep behind the wheel.

And then there are the comments like: "If your so tired, why aren't you in bed yet?"(For the same reason you are not in bed by 6pm when you got off work at 5pm) Or: "How can you be so tired when you got to sleep in until 1pm?" (For the same reason that you would be tired if you "got to sleep in" until 1am).
Coschristi, do you have DSPS (delayed sleep phase syndrome)? I read your post and it sounds so much like me, & I have DSPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology