Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 05:35 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times

Advertisements

LOL I better checketh my PMs then. I was told (in the first deleted post) that I was rambling, but even though I feel I was responding in the same manner as the other posters, I'm obviously not going to challenge it. Life is too short to waste angst on something like that (listening to Joan Baez will do that to you sometimes). I'll just watch my ps and qs a little more.

Actually, it was chance I saw it, because I usually only ever check the last post I made in a thread, not the previous ones.

I will say, though, if people are being snarky and posting the way they do because they're in a bad mood, then maybe it's better they do that online than in person to their child or spouse. I know people might disagree with this, but we're all standing behind our computers and I think verbal abuse is lots easier to deal with online than for a person who has to face that abuse directly. I'm not saying it can't be as devastating online sometimes, but I feel it's just easier to take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 07:00 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Not meaning to be disrespectful, but really, what difference does an infraction make? I'm going to get all hurt feelings because some moderator didn't like my post? Deleted it? Meh. Get suspended 14 days? That just frees up time wasted here to be wasted elsewhere!

I can't even remember how many forums I've been staff on, everything from mod to gmod to smod to admin to manager to owner to server op... Been doing that and writing forum software for about 20 years. Worse comes to worse, I can always go to one of my forums and issue infractions there, kind of like kicking the dog! (I don't issue many infractions except for posting not allowed material. Like warez.)

Seriously, people just tend to get carried away on forums because they can vent or kick the dog knowing that there are no real life consequences. It's just a manifestation of their true personality whether good or bad.

Some forum members treat others like they are things inside their computer, not people, and it's like playing some computer game. You can't do that in real life, but you can do it easily on the Internet.

Actually if somebody is going to kick a dog I'd rather have them do it online than to an actual real dog.

People use forums to vent. That is just a simple fact of Internet life. That, and it's a rare person that can keep their cool 100% of the time. My personal goal is to keep my cool 99%+ of the time. I accept that I will not succeed 100% of the time.

I've been kind of hoping to see a snark in this discussion! Nope, not yet...

Old 02-13-2017, 11:31 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,201,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Not meaning to be disrespectful, but really, what difference does an infraction make? I'm going to get all hurt feelings because some moderator didn't like my post? Deleted it? Meh. Get suspended 14 days? That just frees up time wasted here to be wasted elsewhere!

I can't even remember how many forums I've been staff on, everything from mod to gmod to smod to admin to manager to owner to server op... Been doing that and writing forum software for about 20 years. Worse comes to worse, I can always go to one of my forums and issue infractions there, kind of like kicking the dog! (I don't issue many infractions except for posting not allowed material. Like warez.)

Seriously, people just tend to get carried away on forums because they can vent or kick the dog knowing that there are no real life consequences. It's just a manifestation of their true personality whether good or bad.

Some forum members treat others like they are things inside their computer, not people, and it's like playing some computer game. You can't do that in real life, but you can do it easily on the Internet.

Actually if somebody is going to kick a dog I'd rather have them do it online than to an actual real dog.

People use forums to vent. That is just a simple fact of Internet life. That, and it's a rare person that can keep their cool 100% of the time. My personal goal is to keep my cool 99%+ of the time. I accept that I will not succeed 100% of the time.

Please - never kick a dog!

Old 02-14-2017, 06:52 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I really enjoy being here. I have had to learn the hard way that the way I come across is abrasive and have tried to back off. I have been put in time-out more times than I can count, and I'm not proud of it at all.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:20 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I really enjoy being here. I have had to learn the hard way that the way I come across is abrasive and have tried to back off. I have been put in time-out more times than I can count, and I'm not proud of it at all.
Lovehound, you have a good point, and I cannot fault your attitude. But the counterpoint is the part of Convextech's reply which I bolded. If we really enjoy being here, as I do too, then we should be aware of the potential for repeated "time-outs" to result in a permanent ban. I do not know the criteria at City-Data, but I did discover that the one single "time-out" I have had during my almost seven years here did much more than the four previous infractions to make me sit up and take notice.

Again, traffic tickets are a useful (if not perfect) analogy. We get a ticket and so what? But if we get too many tickets we can lose our drivers license.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:16 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
So do you ever have a fight with your spouse or whatever and find yourself in a really bad mood - then come on here to let off steam and find yourself making an unnecessarily snarky comment to some poor undeserving anonymous snook just looking for a little compassion and commaradie instead?

My only explanation for some of the snarkiness you come across - unhappy people blowing off steam.
But damn, does it feel good?

Guilty but thankfully not often. I'm usually very even keeled but once in awhile I am a bit pis*sy and bring it here. I only go off once every few years or so and I always feel guilty and usually end up apologizing.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:07 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:

I always think, "What?! Who, me? I'm a nice person." Well...not always, but I try. My fuse is a bit shorter than it used to be 5, 10 or more years ago. I'm becoming Maxine.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:29 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Actually I'm sorry for my overly blunt post. I think I said way too much, and I apologize to the forum management for my carelessness.

Nice people sometimes post snarks. It's the mean people who post snarks frequently. They are the ones that keep stirring the stick because they like to see a good fight. It is they who are the enemy.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:16 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I always think, "What?! Who, me? I'm a nice person." Well...not always, but I try. My fuse is a bit shorter than it used to be 5, 10 or more years ago. I'm becoming Maxine.

I like Maxine and Aunty Acid is pretty funny also

Quote:
Actually I'm sorry for my overly blunt post. I think I said way too much, and I apologize to the forum management for my carelessness.

Nice people sometimes post snarks. It's the mean people who post snarks frequently. They are the ones that keep stirring the stick because they like to see a good fight. It is they who are the enemy.
Those are instigators.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:14 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yes, I've done that. I didn't intend to, but a critical remark may set me off. Don't attack the vulnerable. Don't be arrogant and stupid.

*Do as I say and not as I do. LOL
I am guilty as well. However, it usually is true what I say - just a little too blunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology