Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 11:11 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times

Advertisements

Of the HOA. Or secretary/treasurer. Or anything.

We've had quite a bit of divisiveness due to the secrecy of the former Board. We've had substantial earthquake repair involving elaborate reconstruction with insurance payments, etc. The former Board would not let any owners see any of it. They kept everything a secret. "We" (3 couples) advocated for transparency in seeing how our money was spent. So the other 3 couples on the Board turned against us.

It's a small complex with most owners being absentee. So there are only 3 other couples (we are one) qualified to take on new Board roles. No one wants to. It's thankless and a lot of work as hardly anything here is done online, lots of cash payments, trips to the bank, etc. But we felt it was our duty, our turn, so we agreed to be nominated. No one else stepped up. The old Board was glad to be done.

Came time to vote for the new Board and the old Board voted against us. With no one else running. What is the point of voting AGAINST someone taking on a thankless job, when there is no one else available? They raised their hands against the new Board. Sheesh. This strikes me as very immature and in-your-face. Maybe abstain? No, we just hate you on principle.

Am I being overly sensitive, or is this as weird and immature as it seems?

(and yes, I know HOA's suck and no one wants one, but sometimes it's a necessary evil)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 09:46 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
I think the problem is just that HOAs don't scale down well. Your HOA and # units is too small to support a quality HOA board.

But if they vote you out, how do they maintain a quorum? Or do they need any?

What if only one person wanted to serve on the HOA? Would that be an invitation to become a dictator?

I'd ask but I know it's probably unlikely, to just dissolve the HOA, except you probably have a commons area that requires a minimal HOA to maintain.

Maybe you can castrate your HOA into becoming merely the maintenance for the commons, and change the bylaws to abdicate house regulations to individual owners. In other words, just turn the HOA into a club that homeowners pay to maintain the commons, and get the HOA out of the business of regulating houses of members.

Maybe the ideal HOA: one that won't go postal if you paint your house pink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology