Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 11:16 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It's funny that ~25 years ago we didn't have them, being out of contact didn't matter. A few of us had pagers. Heh, a few younger members may not know what a pager is/was.
Yes, I've always sort of been an old fogey and anti-technology. I was resistant to 3d video games, dvd players, and of course cell phones when they came out. I hated those the most. Probably because I was always pretty introverted, so when I was in high school and people started getting cell phones, it was like "ugh, really? we really need an excuse for people to talk more and be even more annoying?" lol. I resisted as long as I could, and didn't get one til I was like 20 or 21. Probably because I had no friends, so I had no reason to. lol. then of course I resisted when they started getting more advanced, with the stupid texting and whatnot. and I remember pagers, because my brother had one. but now, I can't seem to remember how they work. that's how far things have come, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 11:52 AM

997 posts, read 937,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with the time issue. Neither of my parents were like me & my sister isn't either.

I've heard it's a passive-agressive trait but I really can't see that in myself (I hope). Or maybe I just lack self-insight. But when I'm running late I'm not feeling smug, or in control ... I'm beating myself up all the way. Nobody has ever been as hard on me as I am on myself & if I could change it I would.

I am ADD & also ASD but I still actively work on it; it shouldn't be a reason to give up on myself & I feel like I'm getting a bit better. But, I'm 49; after 49 years on this planet I should have this worked out.

There is a sort of common experience that I think most people can relate to that explains what it's like to "be me":

Have you ever checked your watch, then had someone ask "Do you have the time?" ... And then had to check your watch again before you could answer? As if you would have remembered if only you hadn't been asked?

Thats how I am with MYSELF; every time I check the time. All my clocks, including the car are set 11 minutes ahead. Even though I'm up before 0700, my alarm is set at 0745 for my son's 0820 bus ETD & I hit snooze, not to sleep but for the constant reminder so I don't space out & not have his backpack ready or something. At 0815 I sit on the coffee table & crack the door open & just stare out the door. The door has to be open so I can hear as well as see; in case I start reading. I don't allow myself to turn it off until he is on the bus & on his way.

In the afternoon the alarm is set for 1545 for the 1600 ETA of his bus. I only get one snooze & then I stand gaurd in the living room.

My in-town family give me a one hour difference in start times than everybody else & they live 10 minutes away. My sister, who lives about an hour away, gives me a 2 hour head-start. They have all done it for years & it's not a huge secret but it works.

I run timers the entire time I'm cooking, otherwise the second I turn my back on the stove; something will distract me. I swear; if I set the timer for 10 min when it goes off I'm convinced I set it wrong because "I just sat down!"

I yell at my alarms too; like a nut-case & from across the house ... "OMG; I'll be right there!" It is ridiculous.

I'm reminded of a funny scene from "Everybody Loves Raymond" where he warned his wife that if she wasn't ready he would leave without her. And she was doing really good until she got the curling brush stuck in her hair ... And he actually DID leave her.

Mostly because he didn't want to look "whipped" in front of "the boys" because they had made a big deal about "I wouldn't put up with that! I'd just leave!"

And then he gets to the party & all the guys are like "What? You actually LEFT her?" like he was a "dead man walking" (which he was)..
Yes. I am constantly checking the time and if someone were to ask, I would check it again. I am always checking the calendar and going over the days of the week. I am not stupid at all but I am not well oriented regarding time or directions or clocks or even left and right. I have to check those things.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:55 PM

776 posts, read 955,929 times
I have read this entire thread............

Why has no one mentioned a wrist watch ?

I cannot imagine a more simple device to correct the " I don't know what time it is " stupidity . It's right there on your arm, stupid.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:56 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Why has no one mentioned a wrist watch ?
I sort of did, in my rant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
This is why I won't wear a watch. Clocks are evil devices that slice up time into ever smaller pieces until you reach the point that each individual piece is worthless. That's IMO the tyranny of clocks.
I also pointed out that clocks are all over my house, everybody's car and cellphone has one. Personally I won't wear a watch, just because having that creepy thing strapped to my body freaks me out, but in this modern world a person would almost have to purposefully hide or get rid of all the clocks to not have one somewhere nearby, often within visibility.

The problem of the OP's GF is not being unaware of what time it is, it's being insensitive to caring what time it is or when she gets there. Of course that's just my opinion, but I think it's right.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:14 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
My youngest adult child is exactly as described.

Greek Time

Greeks are always late for appointments and this also is known as being on 'Greek Time'. They say that the reason is because nobody wants to be the first one to arrive and have to wait for the other people because then he is a fool. So everyone comes late and the people who come first, even if they are late, may leave again and come back when someone else is there, which means that unless 2 people show up at the same time the meeting will never happen.

So if you are meeting someone and they are not there yet, sit down and wait for them and they will show up, most of the time. Aggravated Greek Time is when you are at a concert or performance and they delay it because some Government minister is late.

https://www.athensguide.com/practicalinfo/time.htm

African time
OMG; that is too funny.

I'm 50% Greek ... my mom is first generation American born. Next time there is an issue I'm going to tell her it's her fault! (kidding)

What is also funny is some information my dad got while poking around one day at an "Irish" novelty gift shop:

Common knowledge on his side of the family is that they are Irish/German/Italian. But, while browsing in this store, my dad struck up a conversation with the shop owner who was actually very knowledgable regarding Irish heritage.

When my dad told him the family surname, the owner informed him that it was actually a Scottish clan name vs Irish.

The meaning/motto of this Scottish clan is : "Late ... but in earnest!"

So the only DNA I have that isn't Greek; has literally been known as "late" for centuries. I'm doomed!

Old 02-19-2017, 08:23 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I'm doomed!
Only those who do not remember (or never learned) the lessons of history are doomed.

This is related to the oft quoted, "Insanity is trying the same thing over and over, expecting different results."

It is history paralleling personal experience. The lesson is the same. Understand where you came from, understand what happened in history before you, understand your ancestors and your immediate family, and most importantly your own experience.

Pay attention and learn. Do not repeat the mistakes in your own fate. Instead, learn from them.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:13 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
No, it's not an inability to perceive time......it's pure and simple rudeness.

She's indicating that you and everyone else are not worthy of her making an effort to be on time.
Totally agree. It's inexcusable rudeness and arrogance.

Some people simply have no concern for the lives of others.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:08 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
We make time for ppl and events that are meaningful.

I'm not a time cruncher...I have leniency when a flight is delayed or a person gets stuck in traffic. Where I draw a distinct line is the indifference of a person who chooses to be delayed by not having value in the other person's schedule.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:34 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
I would not have missed that cruise.. i'd have gone without her. Cant blame her for making you miss your own cruise. just go on without her.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:41 AM

776 posts, read 955,929 times
I bet that the OP's female friend has never had a job where being ON TIME was important, like being a paramedic , where you can't go home until the crew that is replacing you is in the station. Or being a radio show host.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology