Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 01:43 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I think you are trivializing these psychiatric problems. Some people commit suicide as a result of anxiety and especially depression. How does that not supersede worrying about death? I mean, that they'd rather die than continue suffering?

I'm not buying your hypothesis.

I'm really not. Yes, there are the extremes like suicide, but we are talking about epic numbers of unhappiness. I stand by the fact that it is a rich person's concern in general. I believe that's where the high numbers are coming from.

I do not think there are epic numbers of schizophrenia, serious depression (suicidal) or other grave mental disorders.

Also, I think it comes from a tendency of entitlement. You are not JUST happy for no reason. You need to work for it, put effort into it. Physical, mental and emotional.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 02:23 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
This may be controversial, but I think environmental toxins play a big role on our health. Westerners are exposed to a lot more chemicals than other parts of the world. We also didn't have things like pesticides, engineered food, etc. 100 years ago. I think these things have a much bigger impact on us than people (and the gov't) want to admit. And they are nearly impossible to avoid. I also think they are at least partially responsible for the dramatic increase in things like food allergies, autism, and mental health disorders.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:29 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I do not think there are epic numbers of schizophrenia...
Schzophrenia is an organic brain disease. Modern lifestyles have nothing to do with its occurrence.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Schzophrenia is an organic brain disease. Modern lifestyles have nothing to do with its occurrence.
Yes, that is why I was excluding it.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:36 PM

Um, sorry. LH may be reading comprehension challenged.

Ya know, maybe that too is a result of just too much stimulation from modern technology and frenzied lifestyle, too busy to pay attention.

It's kind of telling, you know? (LH scratches...) I think I've got it too!

Old 02-24-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Um, sorry. LH may be reading comprehension challenged.

Ya know, maybe that too is a result of just too much stimulation from modern technology and frenzied lifestyle, too busy to pay attention.

It's kind of telling, you know? (LH scratches...) I think I've got it too!

I have not remained unscathed. I have always tended towards social anxiety, and I came down with a host of personality quirks after my husband unexpectedly passed away, some still remain even a decade later.

I DO believe technology plays a role in a lot of mental disorders. We have vastly outpaced our ability to evolve in a healthy manner (personal belief).

PS: Puppy is up so my posts are not well thought out..... lol If I don't pay attention he will eat the house or something..

Old 02-24-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have not remained unscathed. I have always tended towards social anxiety...
You can actually fix social anxiety or shyness yourself, or at least I did, but counseling helps too. Up until 4-5 years ago I was very shy, but I just faked not being shy--as difficult and stressful as it was--but it became a learned behavior and these days I have many enjoyable conversations with total strangers, in the market, in an elevator, wherever. And really, I'm not a fake today. I genuinely enjoy these impromptu meetings with strangers. I arrive home with a smile on my face, knowing I made somebody else smile too, and maybe helped them alleviate a few lonely moments. (And helped myself too.) I feel more connected to people in general these days.

Too bad it doesn't work to fake your way into being rich...

Old 02-24-2017, 03:22 PM

I followed a similar path to yours. Just telling people I'm an introvert (yeah, it's totally different then shy) makes them die laughing. I am known for being outspoken, confidant and friendly. I have awesome friends, I'm voted onto things like boards, foreperson of the jury, blah, blah..... but I still get those anxiety twinges. It did take a lot of work, some therapy (over coming less than great childhood, some sexual abuse), and flat out refusing to be deprived of a healthy and happy life.

Plus, at the end of the day I would rather be home with a book, taking pictures, processing and framing them, playing with the dogs, gardening, and of course, hanging with my best friend (husband).

I'm so happy you turned your life around. Hard work can pay off. In addition, you seem to have turned out to be a kind person.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:44 PM

Jeez, Mikala, you're embarrassing me! I like to think I'm kind. I'm a senior citizen and I want my life to end well. I'm doing brain surgery to fix all the flaws I can find, and I have a little help too, and I am totally confident that when my "work in progress" is near complete as it can get I'm going to be a really great person, not the person I've been my whole life. I wasn't a bad person, I just had lots of problems. I'm pretty sure I'm 80-90% the way there! And still plenty enough time left to enjoy my retirement!

At least when I see who I think may be my perfect significant other standing in a crowd, I won't be too shy to walk up to her and strike up a conversation! Getting rid of my shyness was the best move I ever made!

Old 02-24-2017, 03:58 PM

Congratulations Lovehound and best wishes to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology