Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 10:50 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,424 times

Advertisements

My mom has that. And I sort of got it too, but I don't really do it anymore, mainly because I'm broke. I used to do it a lot when I was in college, because I hated it, and being around people, and would do it to de-stress. Whether it was going to a thrift store, where I could just wander around and look at things, and get away from school and all the thousands of people my age, or going to the school store if I had a break between classes, to get a little "pick-me-up". Now I'm getting nostalgic...lol. And I would shop online a lot too, because there wasn't a lot of stores here, and I could look at things online for hours, without having to be around people. Score! But, after a while, it dwindled down (because the money did, pretty much). And of course my Dad would get mad every time I bought/ordered more stuff. It probably also helped that when I was younger and first started getting credit cards, I didn't pay them back, so then I couldn't use them anymore. And, I also started realizing, getting more realistic, about what I would and wouldn't use/wear. I would buy a lot of clothes, but then never end up wearing them, because I didn't have an occasion to, or whatever. And, I also realized, that a lot of those things I was buying, thinking, "oh, this is the perfect sweater. this would look great on me." or "man, no one at school would have shoes like these", basically thinking, if I had this sweater, or these shoes, or whatever, then I would be cool...then I would be pretty, and guys would like me. or I would be cool because I have such cool clothes. then I would be happy. and after a while, realized, it doesn't work like that. (or maybe they were just jealous? lol) no thing is going to change who you are, or make you a better person, or make you happy.

So, next time you want to buy something, think, "Will this make my life better?" chances are, it won't, and you probably don't need it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 11:05 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,424 times
A good rule in general, is don't spend money you don't have. If you have credit cards, stop using them. Start using cash. If you have to touch and count the money, it's a lot more "real", and you probably won't want to spend as much. And if you go to a store, only take a small amount of money with you, that way you can't overspend. That's something I would do a lot. It's easy to get "caught up" in a store, with the bright lights, the music, the sales people...that's what they want. Certainly being relaxed and able to think clearly and ponder a purchase, doesn't add up to a lot of sales. So I would only take a little money, and then if there were things I wanted, but I still wasn't sure, or if I had to decide which ones to buy, I would leave and think about it overnight. Maybe put them on hold, or buy something else, so at least you have something, and don't feel like you have to go back just to buy something. I think that is a big thing too, if you go in a store it can seem like a waste if you come out empty-handed, so if there were a lot of things I wanted, but only buy one or two small things, then at least you get that "fix", but don't spend a lot. And, if there were other things I wanted that I was thinking about, usually by the next day I decided I didn't really want it, or didn't want to go back to get it, so I didn't really need it.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:58 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
Have you given it some thought as to the root cause of your retail therapy? It sounds like there is a hole in your life that you are trying to fill by buying stuff that you don't need.
Shopping addiction is definitely getting a shopping fix to replace some other thing lacking in the addict's life.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:52 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
There is also Debtors Anonymous | Meetings, Support Groups, & Programs

Old 02-19-2017, 02:56 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Like "too much is never enough?"

Reading the posts I worry you folks might just be setting one another off! Make this a shopping topic?

Absolutely I'm game for a " shop off! " ..... Bring it as you say that side of the pond

Old 02-19-2017, 03:15 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I had a messed up day .... but in a good way. I bought around $200 in stuff.... sold $120 in stuff .... then traded around $600 in jewerly with 2 other jewelry obessed women I have met. I literally spend 3 hours trading pandora jewelry charms with 2 other women that love jewelry.... I think even more then me. I scored some peices I like better. I only got a cheaper Louis Vuitton item at 1/2 the asking price and walked away from the larger items.

I think my issue is that I cant pass up a good deal. If I see it ..... snap I am ceasing the opportunity.

Today I accidentally wanted in to crazy clearance sale and walked off woth around $1000 worth of merchandise for $120 tax included. The stuff are things I will use for gifts later. I got $350 designer boots for $25 ..... a Tommy Hilfiger Scarf for $3... these deals where crazy.
There may be your solution ... you should CEASE (taking) the 'opportunity' to buy rather than SEIZING the 'opportunity' to buy.

Not sure if that was a Freudian slip as they say or just a typo but my eye spotted it and I had to say something because it seems apropos for this situation (though certainly the 2nd is harder than the 1st or you would not have started this thread).

Old 02-19-2017, 04:02 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I totally have a shopping addiction. I really have no idea why I am buy all this stuff. Yes it is amazing and I am getting it at amazing deal... but it just not practical. I know it is not a good idea. I know I can't possibly use all of it.... but I just can't stop.

The bigger issue is I know this is bad ... but I dont really want to stop. I think I am totally going nuts. I am divided between thinking this is just a passion for shopping and fashion .... or just an addiction.

Think of it this way, you are boosting the American economy ! I'm kinda like you, I am into cars and have way more than I will ever need or drive. I just love em. My ex GF asked me one time, "Honey, how may cars do you need ?" I told her, "It isn't how many I NEED, it's how many I WANT !"

If we can afford it and it doesn't get us in financial trouble, enjoy. Life is short and he who dies with the most toys wins. Some of us go on trips, others buy stuff.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:06 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Think of it this way, you are boosting the American economy ! I'm kinda like you, I am into cars and have way more than I will ever need or drive. I just love em. My ex GF asked me one time, "Honey, how may cars do you need ?" I told her, "It isn't how many I NEED, it's how many I WANT !"

If we can afford it and it doesn't get us in financial trouble, enjoy. Life is short and he who dies with the most toys wins. Some of us go on trips, others buy stuff.
Canadian economy mate I think you'll find

Great post and completely agree

Old 02-19-2017, 04:39 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
I'm getting really worried about some of the posts in this topic. Shopping addiction IS an addiction! Like duh, that's why it has the word addiction in it.

Addictions of all kinds are nothing to joke about. Shopping, gambling, alcohol, drugs, sex, all of them are very serious problems, and very difficult to get rid of.

I smoked tobacco from my late teens to early 30s. It was easy to quit. So easy I did it several times! (Oops, I just can't stop kidding around.) SRSLY, I finally did put down tobacco but it took about a year off and on. BTW they say tobacco is one of the most difficult addictions. I don't believe that, I think serious drugs must be worse, thank God I never tried any.

If you think you can stop your shopping addiction, then just stop. ... ... ... That's right, you couldn't do it, could you?

Folks, if you have any kind of addiction and you can't stop on your own, admit it and get some counseling. Your counselor will know what to do. Keep going until you get yourself under control, find out why you're doing it, handle the basic problem, then maybe you'll be in a position to beat it.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:31 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Shopping addiction is definitely getting a shopping fix to replace some other thing lacking in the addict's life.

Exactly! When I need a pick me up I go shopping. However I might spend 2 hours at the store, try on a dozen or more items and wind up with just one. Or I will do a lot of online shopping, put it all in my "basket" and then buy none of it. I recognize why I am doing it so I keep it under control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology