Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 10:12 PM

572 posts, read 435,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm nice in public and the people I meet are always nice back.

I always wave at the dude or dudette waving the sign "NEW STORE" at the parking lot entrance. I figure they have such a crappy job that I hope my wave made them feel better, at least for a few minutes.

Just don't mess with me on a forum.... LOLOL, just kidding!
Well, we know how that part goes.. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 12:54 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by player07 View Post
I am not sure if this is the right place to start this thread. Have you ever seen one of the Disney characters(Mickey Mouse, Goofy, Donald duck, Pluto not Donald Trump) or other comic characters in a public area such as a mall, sports stadium, disney world or other public areas who is waving his hand, giggling or moving around with a smiley face on? If you ever go up and talk to them, they will admit that they are always told mean things, sometimes even pushed or punched.

I have had similar experience at work or outside work, I am by nature always smiling and happy. People just tend to be mean to me for no reason versus the guy who is always serious or difficult to talk to. It seems more difficult to give the serious guy some ****. Ever wonder why it is so? What makes people more aggressive towards nice or happy people?
Hmm, I don't have this problem. Typical reaction for me is "you have good energy."

Maybe it is something else?

Old 02-25-2017, 12:55 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times
Default .......

Quote:
I am not sure if this is the right place to start this thread. Have you ever seen one of the Disney characters(Mickey Mouse, Goofy, Donald duck, Pluto not Donald Trump) or other comic characters in a public area such as a mall, sports um, disney world or other public areas who is waving his hand, giggling or moving around with a smiley face on? If you ever go up and talk to them, they will admit that they are always told mean things, sometimes even pushed or punched.

I have had similar experience at work or outside work, I am by nature always smiling and happy. People just tend to be mean to me for no reason versus the guy who is always serious or difficult to talk to. It seems more difficult to give the serious guy some ****. Ever wonder why it is so? What makes people more aggressive towards nice or happy people?
I think people will pull stuff on people that act all happy because they can. If these types of people dont push back... then they become punching bags that other people use to blow off stress. I try my best to be nice, but with a dont cross me vibe. If could like literally take one viral youtube video of mickey mouse going nuts on someone who was giving attitude to set this situation straight !

Also .... some people are just annoying and cant pick up on vibes to know when to back off. If someone dropping hints that you are annoying them and you keep buzzing around then your inability to read the situation is likely part of the problem.

For example if I am at work and I have my head burried in a patient's chart because I am assessing them and someone starts coming around being all chatty and bubbly. I will say hi and get back to what I am doing as it should be obvious that I am trying to concentrate. If the person continues I am going to likely drop cues to the fact I cant talk... ex short responses.... change of voice tone.....body language. If you still dont get it after that I might have to directly stay I am really trying to concentrate so I can talk now. This could seen as rude by some people .... but if you turn the tables it is also very rude and inconsiderate to interput someine whoke they are working on something if it is not urgent.

I tend to be pretty hyper/ bubbly too naturally...... but have learned to try harder to pay attention social cues. If you are paying attention to social cues you likely have a better response. Though in some cases certain are just not nice period.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:26 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,638 times
There's a lot more envy and negativity out there than people realize. Some people just can't stand to see others happy.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:27 AM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
There's a lot more envy and negativity out there than people realize. Some people just can't stand to see others happy.
While that may be true in some instances, I don't think that is the real reason at all. Rather I very much agree with

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Also .... some people are just annoying and cant pick up on vibes to know when to back off. If someone dropping hints that you are annoying them and you keep buzzing around then your inability to read the situation is likely part of the problem.

For example if I am at work and I have my head burried in a patient's chart because I am assessing them and someone starts coming around being all chatty and bubbly. I will say hi and get back to what I am doing as it should be obvious that I am trying to concentrate. If the person continues I am going to likely drop cues to the fact I cant talk... ex short responses.... change of voice tone.....body language. If you still dont get it after that I might have to directly stay I am really trying to concentrate so I can talk now. This could seen as rude by some people .... but if you turn the tables it is also very rude and inconsiderate to interput someine whoke they are working on something if it is not urgent.
Example from church camp when I was a teen. This place was a run down mess. Buildings literally falling apart. They put the boys in the worst one. Beds and mattresses where filthy from decades of use. Toilets filthy and didn't work. Showers didn't work. No running water in the sinks. Holes in the floor. Holes in the roof. Literally a tree and cathole outside were more sanitary than the bathroom. Thunderstorms all night and with the holes in the roof there was as much rain inside as out. No sleep. Next morning we come trudging up the hill soaking wet, covered in mud and this idiot who had spent the night in his nice motor home bubbles up to us that we weren't happy and enthusiastic enough and exclaims "REJOICE AND BE GLAD!!!" All any of us wanted to do was go to the bathroom, dry off, and get some breakfast and this clown is running around cajoling everyone to be bubbly. Totally unable to get the vibe and back off.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:32 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
I am not sure if this is the right place to start this thread. Have you ever seen one of the Disney characters(Mickey Mouse, Goofy, Donald duck, Pluto not Donald Trump) or other comic characters in a public area such as a mall, sports stadium, disney world or other public areas who is waving his hand, giggling or moving around with a smiley face on? If you ever go up and talk to them, they will admit that they are always told mean things, sometimes even pushed or punched.

Some take it as a sign of weakness.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:15 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
negative people get jealous at the vibe positive people put out.
I see this jealous/envy reason mentioned an awful lot here and in the workplace forum. It seems like every time someone mentions someone isn't well liked or received it MUST be because other people are jealous of their looks, youth, energy, money, position, or whatever. For some reason I tend to believe that if you think there are many people down on you because they envy you the problem is not them, it's you. There too many young people, pretty people, successful people, happy people, for most of us to spend our time being envious of those things, it would take up all of our time, lol.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:47 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
I think it's more or less that miserable people like to make other people miserable so that in their own minds they are building themselves up by pushing down somebody lower than them.

Or putting it a different way: "I put you down so now I am higher up because you are more below me."

Make sense?

Old 02-25-2017, 11:41 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I think it's more or less that miserable people like to make other people miserable so that in their own minds they are building themselves up by pushing down somebody lower than them.

Or putting it a different way: "I put you down so now I am higher up because you are more below me."

Make sense?
I concur. It makes perfect sense.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:25 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
I concur. It makes perfect sense.
I don't think so, at least not most of the time. Just because some people don't have such bubbly personalities and find too much of it intrusive, doesn't mean that they are miserable. They are more likely simply more reserved in nature or busy concentrating on something and don't appreciate the distraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology