Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 09:01 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,776,017 times

Advertisements

Life can be a grind sometimes.

What do you use to keep your life interesting? How do you infuse variety into it on a daily basis?

I don't mean things like taking vacations, but stuff you do over the course of a regular work week to make it more enjoyable.

For me, reading books, writing blog entries, and listening to music make the day far more pleasant. They especially come in handy when I'm forced to wait a long time for something -- whether it's that I'm stuck in traffic, at the doctor's office, on the plane, or on jury duty.

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 09:31 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Pets in general...

that's what they do, contribute odd, funny moments when you don't expect it...
they can help keep life interesting.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:46 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Pets in general...

Yep. Pets.

But also reading, time with human friends, exploring areas of my local city that I haven't explored, going for long drives, cooking a new recipe, etc.

Monotony is kind of a choice to a certain extent.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:54 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,031,394 times
I'm retired so I don't have the workday grind. Lately I've started learning Spanish with Rosetta Stone and I have discovered some new podcasts that I like. We're planning to get a dog soon, and I know that will take care of any tedium or spare time!

Old 10-15-2018, 09:56 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,698,292 times
Short-term? I look forward to game night with friends. We are all competitive, but not in an unhealthy way. Always a fun time.

My wife and I both enjoy watching the Carolina Hurricanes during the week, when they play and football on Sundays. Usually, we'll play a tablet game together, such as ticket to ride.

Usually, we are out with friends at least one night per week for a quick dinner.

Long-term? We try to make sure we have a vacation or getaway to plan for the future. Vacations, by themselves, can be fun, but most of the time, the planning and anticipation provide a lot of satisfaction.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:31 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,499,452 times
My dog! Always keeps things fun and silly

I like to rotate in a new dinner recipe every week

I always have a little home improvement project brewing in my mind

Thinking of upcoming holidays and what we are going to do or how I can make them special

I keep a list of upcoming movies I want to see in the theater. Ditto for local performing arts events or seasonal events I want to do

I usually have one vacation planned that I am thinking about

Old 10-15-2018, 10:43 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Pets in general...

Agreed! We got a kitten about a month ago, and she definitely keeps us occupied.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:10 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
It does a soul good to be of service to others, and that can be in small ways. Many are home bound and need some help and I have 4-5 in my apt bldg that help me. Now I know how that feels when I helped older people when I was younger.

For me, I'm forever seeking alternative therapies for this bodywide arthritis and working with a new herb now and feeling some subtle changes, like feeling stronger.

Anyway, I meditate and do stretching and love my talk radio which includes NPR. I have no spouse and create my own days.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:22 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times
I also am an animal lover and my fur faces provide me with lot's of entertainment and affection. When I walk my dog, I will sometimes take a road or path that we've never been on before. I swear that my dog seems to love these excursions into the unknown more than he does our standard daily walk.

I love all kinds of music and one day I may stream nothing but classical and the next day it will be CW. I also like to "visit" different towns across the country by locating their radio station on the Internet and then stream that all day. So far I've been to New Orleans, Berea, KY (great bluegrass!), Denver, Chicago and San Francisco to name a few.

I also love to read and I take my library on my Kindle Flame where-ever I go. I have bartered my soul to Amazon buying both print and e-books!

I recently decided to take a trip back to my hometown - a place I haven't visited in 10 years. I've already had great fun looking at different modes of transportation - Bus? Amtrak? Plane? Also looking over the list of AirBnB's in my old neighborhood and imagining what my stay will be like.

Every day is as amazing as I choose to make it.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:31 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
Not having a monotonous daily life. Everything important in life is right in front of us. There's always something to do right in. front of your own eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology