Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 11:06 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,517 posts, read 5,609,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
You're very welcome!

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance on any matters psychological.

This is another phenomenon I wondered about . It isn't something that I experience regularly...actually, it's something that I haven't experienced in awhile:

I occasionally come across an individual who's very bad at interpreting and discerning situations. Their countenance doesn't show that they are not listening, nor is it seen that they are too focused on their answer to hear the question.

Instead, they are misinterpreting the question or situation. You say the sky is blue, and they repeat: "here's why you *think* the sky is purple"

In other words, they think that they can "read" situations, when in fact, they misread situations, and badly.

They think they can look at a situation and size up someone's motives, when in fact, their assumptions are (sometimes) wildly off course.

They do this not only with myself, but with several others. Therefore, the issue is not a matter of my not communicating clearly.

When someone seeks to "psychoanalyze" a situation, yet their conclusion is way off base, this can cause interrelational problems. When someone seeks to determine another person's motives merely on the basis of what they see, and when they "frame" someone's motives within their minds, the results can be toxic.

This is not a matter of not being introspective, and them seeing something in myself that that I don't see: as individuals, each person possesses likes and dislikes. If I trend towards City life, and misinterpreter concludes that "my personality likes the isolation that rural life provides (!)"

This "type" of person can cause a lot of discontent in families or in the workplace, if they misread situations and assign motives accordingly. Because this type of personality then *reacts* towards that which they misinterpret.

In any event, I don't know if this personality type has a classification, or if it's worth examining. I don't come across this kind of personality type often. I do however, have a curious mind , and I like to figure things out...

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 08:41 PM

876 posts, read 809,425 times
Classic signs of Borderline Personality Disorder. People with that often have depression along with other disorders. They are stuck in mode of bad behaviors that they don't know how to escape.

With awareness and therapy they may have a chance. But sometimes there is no reaching people who cannot fathom their own role in all of the drama that tends to surround them. Someone should convince them to at least consider seeing a mental health professional or at the very least educate themselves about BPD.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:15 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,157,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Bipolar doesn't have the same speed of cycling. BPD people will literally create a tornado and 1 hour later be "ok" and don't understand why you're still upset. A lot of the stuff comes from perceived or real rejection. You have to set clear boundaries bc saying we'll see is interpreted as yes and watch out when it doesn't go their way.
I was friends with someone with BPD for 20 years. This was a big part of her personality.I could tell you amazing stories. The only reason I was friends with her so long is she was ok with female friends.... maybe she knew we wouldn't put up with her antics like her many many boyfriends. I finally broke off friendship because I couldn't keep watching how she treated men. Yes she saw many psychologists but never lasted more then a few appointments. There really is no cure ... at least with her.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:51 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,621,306 times
If you care to look into the Enneagram, I think that personality type describes an unhealthy Nine (with a One wing).

Lots of idealism, projection, punishment, etc. going on.

Silent treatment is a give-away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology