Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 02:24 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times

Advertisements

Over the long weekend, I watched a full UK mystery series I'd been meaning to watch for a while. It was excellent, and when I'd worked my way through it, I felt pretty down. Now, I'm dealing with a bunch of other things related to my family, but it struck me that maybe the timing was bad on opting to watch the whole series at once. It gave me a great deal of pleasure, but afterwards, I felt kind of bereft - didn't help my mood at all.

Curious what other folks' experiences have been with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 02:27 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
I don't think it's that much different than the feeling you get after finishing a really good book. You've just spent several hours (days even) learning about this story's universe, and then it's just...over.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:56 PM

50,829 posts, read 36,538,623 times
This is to me no different than once in a while binging on pizza and ice cream. Once in a while, I need it for my mental health (both binges together are especially good lol), you just can't make a habit of it. There is nothing wrong with escaping from the world for a bit, it's only a problem if you procrastinate taking action. But if you're just in a blue mood, and nothing about it is really within your control, there's nothing wrong with it. Shame to me is much more damaging than the binge watching was.

I never watched Breaking Bad until the marathon AMC had leading up to the finale, but just to see what the fuss was about, I DVR'd all of them. Once I started watching it I was addicted....I think I watched seasons 1 through 3 in one weekend. Stranger Things was the same, but only one season so far, so not too much wasted time there.

Learn to forgive yourself for being human. That one thing will improve your life in ways you can't imagine.

[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]

Old 02-23-2017, 06:34 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
No.

Just because the word 'binge' is shared with things that can be hazardous in over-indulgence - such as food and alcohol, among other things - does not mean that when that word is applied to watching fiction it must e hazardous.

If clock ten hours at my job, did I 'binge work'? And is it therefore bad for me? How about eight hours of 'binge sleeping'?

Old 02-23-2017, 10:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
The only time I find it worrisome is if I know I'm using it to procrastinate on time-sensitive responsibilities. If it becomes easy to say, "I know I'm on deadline, but just one more episode," that's a red flag.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:36 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
Honey, there's nothing wrong with what you did. You're only discovering that the problem was still there when the show was over.

That's not the show's fault, or your fault for wanting or needing a break from the problem for however many hours you got from it.

Sorry you've got yucky stuff to deal with. But, escaping into a DVD is better than many other alternatives.

If DVDs could guarantee a problem would no longer exist after we watched it - they'd be way more expensive.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:45 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,167,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Over the long weekend, I watched a full UK mystery series I'd been meaning to watch for a while. It was excellent, and when I'd worked my way through it, I felt pretty down. Now, I'm dealing with a bunch of other things related to my family, but it struck me that maybe the timing was bad on opting to watch the whole series at once. It gave me a great deal of pleasure, but afterwards, I felt kind of bereft - didn't help my mood at all.

Off topic but what was the series?

I can't binge-watch but it's because I like to ponder the episode i've seen and replay bits in my head, and I love looking forward to the rest.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
I like to draw things out and savor then too much to really be into binge watching.

The exception is while nursing an infant. Binge watching was made for nighttime feeding sessions.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:32 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
I guess it's my memory, but I don't like to have to remember what happened in the last episode for a week or longer before finding out what happens next. That's why I like to binge watch.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:29 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

Which one? Have you tried Happy Valley?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology