Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 01:51 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,108,174 times

Advertisements

Most of the articles I can find online about this are in relation to being emotionally available to a partner and talking through your feelings with them so you can resolve any problems that might have arisen. I would like to be more emotionally available to myself so I can better identify my gut feelings, learn to trust them and make good use of them.

I am the crown prince of overthinking, analysis paralysis and deflection by humour. I have done these things for so long that they've become my default settings. If I could break the cycle I'm sure I'd be a much better writer and a more honest, satisfied and fulfilled human being.

Have any of you, my fellow C-Ders, noticed these habits in yourselves and what did you do to put them behind you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 04:09 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
If you want to 'peel the onion' you might come to the conclusion that it's the same bugaboo that governs why most people do things that can make their lives more difficult...insecurity.
In this case...overthinking, analysis paralysis tends to be the fear of not getting it right.
Part of your head is playing devil's advocate and making you question your decisions, expecting too much of yourself (perfection) even if, ostensibly and ordinarily, you consider yourself quite competent.
Does any of this ring a bell with you?

Old 03-19-2017, 04:38 AM

Loud and clear. I have actually done time on a therapist's couch to deal with this. We saw each other often enough to build trust and a good rapport. Unfortunately she moved on before I could properly identify the problem, let alone address its cause.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:44 AM

Is not opening up yourself emotionally pretty much the same issue? Trying to decide whether or not you might "make a mistake" in trusting someone else with your trust and emotions?
Since nobody is perfect, it's not too difficult to scrounge up some trait that can make you think that person has the potential to hurt you in some way so "safer" not to open yourself up to the possibility.

Can you tell I'm very familiar with this road block one builds for themselves?
I've put much thought and self analysis into it and yes, you can work around it.

Last edited by old_cold; 03-19-2017 at 05:53 AM..

Old 03-19-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I've put much thought and self analysis into it and yes, you can work around it.
That's very encouraging. What I'm most interested in is being honest with myself about my own feelings and gut reactions. I've obfuscated them so much over the years that I can't even identify them.

Long ago and far away I wrote a short story that would have been so much better if it were emotionally authentic, less for me than the characters. I completed a draft of it and then, afraid of hitting a nerve or having readers jump to all sorts of unsavoury conclusions about what might have inspired it, I turned it into a generic detective yarn full of stupid jokes. I sold my own work short by treating it like a cross between Tootsie and The Naked Gun.

If any of my other writing is going to be successful or even completed, I have to do justice to the feelings behind it. I don't yet have the faith or confidence to do that, but let's hope identifying the problem is the first step to overcoming it.

By a man's work shall ye know him, they say. That's a bit difficult when...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rwimaMclLU

Old 03-19-2017, 06:30 AM

The main job of a therapist ,, when you think about it, is to simply ask "Why?" whenever you state something.
Rather than 'argue' with yourself, let that other part of you do the same...to each answer, the first seldom, if ever, being a deep enough one.
Keep going...'peeling the onion', so to speak, to see if you can get to the center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology