Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 06:25 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,012,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Nope. 95% of therapists suck. Very clueless people in it for the wrong reason.
(1.) and you know this how?

(2.) and what if you have problems and find one of the 5%?

(3.) and what is your next choice? Stay miserable?

Noting your attitude I'd bet you picked door number 3!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 09:08 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,407,779 times
There are "therapists" and then there are psychologists. The more severe the issues you want to sort out, the more professional the person you want helping you with it. Anyone can call themselves a therapist and yes, there are all kinds of social workers who mean well and can help some people with some things. Psychiatrist now = psychopharmacologist.

So I might not argue that 95% of therapists suck, but I doubt 95% of psychologists do. Even so, their job is not to solve your problems; it's to help you learn to do it.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:15 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,640,807 times
Jeez, with all the bizarrely strong negativity, it's starting to feel like the Religion subforum here.

OP, I have had some OK experiences with therapy and a couple of EXCELLENT experiences. It is a very individual experience, though, and no one can tell you what you "should" be doing or feeling or how long it will take.

Sometimes just knowing WHY you're reacting to something in a certain way can help you deal with it going forward. But I'm glad to hear that you are starting and encourage you to keep an open mind.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:21 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,834,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Nope. 95% of therapists suck. Very clueless people in it for the wrong reason.
While this sounds hyperbolic, it's not without merit. The therapists I've dealt with just did two things: (1) question me about my feelings, and then not believe my answers, and (2) parrot back everything like Captain Obvious, with no elaboration. I found that to be highly inane and simplistic, which got me thinking the therapist was a blithering idiot. Heck, I could have talked to myself and done the same things, and saved my parents the bills. (But wait! Talking to myself makes me insane, which means I need treatment, where the therapist would... never mind!) Mind you, I was 9 years old. The therapy tactics I got felt similar to the girl who goes into the basement when there's a killer in the house.

Perhaps adult therapists are better than pediatric therapists, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks, I was hoping you'd chime in. Are they mostly grad students, or do they also have professionals that students could request? I know campus crisis centers have experienced professionals, but the regular center, for long-term counseling, needs those, too.
Ours has a full staff in addition to grad students on clinical rotation.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Anyone can call themselves a therapist
Not, in fact, true.

Counseling therapy has licensure and accreditation standards and a code of ethics upheld by an ethics board responsible for oversight, investigations and sanctioning. They are subject to background checks from the initial stages of schooling on. They are also required to maintain training in current practices via continuing education minimums.

You may be confusing this with "life coaches," who are not legally required to have any particular training or credentials, have no professional oversight, have no requirement to pass criminal background checks, and are not required to consistently train to maintain accreditation. But, no, you can't legally present yourself as a therapist if you are not legally credentialed as such.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:57 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,407,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not, in fact, true.

Counseling therapy has licensure and accreditation standards and a code of ethics upheld by an ethics board responsible for oversight, investigations and sanctioning. They are subject to background checks from the initial stages of schooling on. They are also required to maintain training in current practices via continuing education minimums.

You may be confusing this with "life coaches," who are not legally required to have any particular training or credentials, have no professional oversight, have no requirement to pass criminal background checks, and are not required to consistently train to maintain accreditation. But, no, you can't legally present yourself as a therapist if you are not legally credentialed as such.
Nope, there are job listings for unlicensed therapy positions in some very surprising venues. I know there are lots of qualifications you CAN get, but as long as you say you're unlicensed, there's nothing stopping you practicing "therapy" if you can find someone to give you money for it. It's how people end up with the idea that therapy is crap and of no help, and the reason I said to ask for a real professional rather than taking what you get, like some student or volunteer.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:47 AM

13,259 posts, read 8,355,383 times
My therapist were as good as the efforts I put in to listening. Elaborating or simply stopping a poor behavior once I came to the conclusions.

You fix yourself. They won't do it for you. I had to take the ugly truths and cope with it...They simply encouraged "alternative" actions to regroup some unhealthy mindsets.

Best therapist I had ..Took the bull outta my chit and had me deal with it...When I was ready. Too often the client isn't really wanting to change and have the ugly reality of themselves or incidences...For that..No therapist is going to do.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:33 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,834,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
My therapist were as good as the efforts I put in to listening. Elaborating or simply stopping a poor behavior once I came to the conclusions.

You fix yourself. They won't do it for you. I had to take the ugly truths and cope with it...They simply encouraged "alternative" actions to regroup some unhealthy mindsets.
If the patient has to fix themselves on their own, and the therapist "isn't supposed to do it", despite the session costs of $100+ her hour, then what's the point of therapy? Isn't there another, most cost-effective way to do it? Like some online forum, where like-minded people read and post comments, to facilitate information exchange? Doesn't even need to be a professional psychology site, which would only raise the costs. It could even be a site dedicated to land, houses, and all that jazz, whose owners decided to put in a forum for people to talk.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 03-08-2017 at 05:41 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 05:42 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,206,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

Best therapist I had ..Took the bull outta my chit and had me deal with it...When I was ready. Too often the client isn't really wanting to change and have the ugly reality of themselves or incidences...For that..No therapist is going to do.
I'll do a "worst therapist" story. left a bad relationship 100 yrs ago. Ex found the therapist & actually with met her on numerous occasions and she decided to discuss everything I ever said with him.

Ya so ummmm, it was the last therapist I ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology