Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 09:41 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,869,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
People with problems are not the best people to be the judge of problems, particularly their own. You know it's time to go see a psychologist when the psychological pain of living exceeds your ability to handle it and recognize you need help. Too many people refuse to seek help even when they need it.
In this day and age, therapy is not a foreign concept. Even people living under a rock are vaguely aware what it consists of. Unfortunately, most people's image of therapy---myself including---is a stuffy or overly friendly person, who sits in a big chair and only says two things: "How did that make you feel?" and "I see."

Now, given the cost of healthcare in the US, most people would balk at the notion of paying $100+ an hour for such a treatment method. After all, in their minds, it takes no intellectual effort to keep repeating "How did that make you feel?" and "I see." Granted, there's more to therapy than this, but it's the image most people have, and that's what they go by when even considering the idea. So, they choose to just tough it out instead, or worse, seek treatment from Dr. Daniels, first name Jack.

I think the therapy industry shot itself in the foot by showing such methodology in the media, let alone actually practicing it. It's obviously very off-putting to a lot of people, and it stops them from seeking therapy in the first place, when they would otherwise benefit from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 06:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
In this day and age, therapy is not a foreign concept. Even people living under a rock are vaguely aware what it consists of. Unfortunately, most people's image of therapy---myself including---is a stuffy or overly friendly person, who sits in a big chair and only says two things: "How did that make you feel?" and "I see."
It's less an issue of being unaware of resources. Although, a huge issue facing the field currently is that there is a major drought of providers in small communities and rural areas, so access is a real issue for populations who are not located in urban/suburban areas...pair this with the fact that providers run into ethics issues when working with small populations...ie you shouldn't ethically be treating the mechanic who works on your car, or the children of people you serve on the PTA with or go to church with, acc. to the ACA code of ethics guidelines on secondary relationships and conflicts of interest/confidentiality issues, but this can be hard or impossible to avoid in small communities. In urban/suburban areas, it is informally recommended that one practice at least two zip codes away from where one resides to minimize these sorts of conflicts, but this isn't as realistic if practicing in rural or small town underserved areas.

In addition to access issues such as above, a bigger issue than being unaware of resources is the access related to health care coverage, and this is obviously in flux, depending on governmental mandates which are also in flux.

And, there's always stigma. Lessening in some circles, but as rampant as ever in others. Also, public misconception, as evidenced by your posts, where you seem to be unaware that the "What do you think about that, how does that make you feel?" method of reflection of emotion, used in some talk therapy, is merely one tactic in some types of therapy, and that many other tactics and styles of therapy exist and are in use. Often, people feel that their experience with therapy is indicative of all therapy, and all theories of counseling, which isn't actually the case. Anything can be offputting if you don't have a sufficient understanding of it. Just because you have a particular impression of a given thing, that doesn't make your impression a complete picture, current, or accurate.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:05 AM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Nope. 95% of therapists suck. Very clueless people in it for the wrong reason.

Actually majority of therapists get into it because they care passionately. They more then likely came from a dysfunctional family - alcoholics - abuse etc and want to help others. Fact!

Are "some" not good at their profession? Perhaps. I have been in therapy since 1980. Right now I am in therapy as I am having issues with my daughter. My therapist is wonderful - Actually writing a book currently. Smart gal -

They give you the tools and much depends on you. If you just sit there and do not talk - you won't get anything out of it. I love having a Life Coach - someone I can go to with an issue.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:08 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Now, given the cost of healthcare in the US, most people would balk at the notion of paying $100+ an hour for such a treatment method.
Have you heard of healthcare insurance? What's the co-pay?

Old 03-09-2017, 09:48 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
Actually majority of therapists get into it because they care passionately. They more then likely came from a dysfunctional family - alcoholics - abuse etc and want to help others. Fact!

Are "some" not good at their profession? Perhaps. I have been in therapy since 1980. Right now I am in therapy as I am having issues with my daughter. My therapist is wonderful - Actually writing a book currently. Smart gal -

They give you the tools and much depends on you. If you just sit there and do not talk - you won't get anything out of it. I love having a Life Coach - someone I can go to with an issue.
Since 1980 - girlfriend you need to get out of it. I thought Therapist was short term fix not life long partner

Old 03-09-2017, 09:52 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Hi all,

So it seems I have finally found a therapist I click with. We had a small chat on the phone about a week ago and she was very insightful. I absolutely felt understood.

I had already attended therapy when I was in college a few years back and it was bad. The (male) therapist said I was flirting with him (which I was not), focused on my so-called 'privileged' background and even told me I was lying about my childhood abuse (at which point, I stopped the sessions since it was pointless to talk to someone who didn't believe me when all of my core issues stem from this pain).

This time around, I'm seeking professional help with a therapist who seems highly qualified and I'm paying the proportionate price. I really want this to work for me.

Have you ever successfully undergone therapy? How long does it take to finally see progress? How is the progress noticed?
1) It takes a long time, the reason being the underlying neurological changes take a long time since they are biological expressions. Reforming (or strengthening) synapses involves an actual structural change, as does reducing or lessening the strength of other pathways. That is all complicated by the fact that your effort in this (e.g. indulging neural pathways you do not want to reinforce, or failing to think in a certain way that you hope to strengthen and normalize) will either impede or facilitate progress.

2) How is the progress noticed. This is tricky. Since it changes the "you" it can be difficult to quantify because, try as we might, it is difficult to feel the previous you. You may know rationally that this thing used to trip you off, or this thing used to get you down, but if you don't feel that way anymore due to therapeutic progress, you can only examine it an almost abstract sense - because it is not how you feel now, yet you are still you. In that sense it can be important to memorialize how you feel now, perhaps in writing, so that you can look back and see if that is you still, or whether you have made progress. We become inured to our present states. Quantifying our own psychological progress is hard (tho can be easier for others to see).

Old 03-09-2017, 09:52 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
It does seem to me that 37 years in therapy does not indicate to me that the therapy is working.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:55 AM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Since 1980 - girlfriend you need to get out of it. I thought Therapist was short term fix not life long partner
It can be, just like going to the gym to keep your body fit.
Mental health, physical health.

One might consider mixing up therapists over time though.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:58 AM
bg7

Quote:

Now, given the cost of healthcare in the US, most people would balk at the notion of paying $100+ an hour for such a treatment method. After all, in their minds, it takes no intellectual effort to keep repeating "How did that make you feel?" and "I see." Granted, there's more to therapy than this, but it's the image most people have, and that's what they go by when even considering the idea. So, they choose to just tough it out instead, or worse, seek treatment from Dr. Daniels, first name Jack.

I think the therapy industry shot itself in the foot by showing such methodology in the media, let alone actually practicing it. It's obviously very off-putting to a lot of people, and it stops them from seeking therapy in the first place, when they would otherwise benefit from it.
Well, that would be a waste of time, other than a slight catharsis perhaps. Not therapy.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:10 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,632 times
I had a therapist that are in the 5% that are helpful. I appreciated someone who is objective to whats going on, and offers clarity and resolutions. I find the support a asset in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology