Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 01:55 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times

Advertisements

A situation just happened yesterday. A friend was over and brought me a burger and a beautiful Apple from her apple tree. I didn't know she had two apple trees in her backyard. The apple was so crisp and just the right tart/sweetness. We shared it and she said when she's kept a half in refrig at home, it does NOT turn brown, so that could be the total lack of pesticides. I even think some organics are sprayed. Anyway.

She was complaining how badly she sometimes feels and she's always working on her mood and brain chemistry. I've been that route with depression many yrs back and it was a sluggish thyroid for 10 yrs.
Once I got on desiccated thyroid support, that 10 yrs of depression LIFTED. Thyroid is so missed by the MD's as they read only their numbers and NOT our symptoms.

We are all different and have to keep TRYING to lift ourselves up in all ways.

I told her how fortunate she was to have those beautiful apples growing in her back yard. Woke her up some...she is comfortable financially so that's not an issue.

Another friend who is comfortable financially has to be reminded too about how much we have.

I have LESS than both these people but see all that I have and even the great memories count for so much.

Now the rich, I have some of those friends and they do their share of complaints. Some you just can't get thru to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 04:08 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,651,066 times
This is so true. I always say, count your blessings, not your troubles.

There are times I get in a mood and whine and carry on. Yep, my house renovation isn't complete, my bathroom still isn't started, there are plain concrete floors, but I have a bathroom and nice rugs over it. The back yard isn't done, but my husband is working on it. I am blessed to have this home, be getting ready for retirement with a modest pension most people today will never have, and a modest Social Security payment young people probably won't have. I have my health, a new car to drive and a job until I retire. I have nice clothes, a wonderful, successful son and a husband who just had a clear CT scan (cancer survivor). Yep I get out of that whiney crap mood when I look around and see those less fortunate, who may have not made the best decisions etc.

Lots of things are self-inflicted and I was blessed with good parents who taught me what I needed to know to survive and make my own way.

Last edited by mschrief; 07-29-2017 at 04:23 PM..

Old 07-29-2017, 04:17 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,337,480 times
I always wondered why people living in huts in Fiji and Africa etc etc don't have clinical depression,indeed a survey of Fijians said that 98 percent were very happy.

I have a very hard life but I'm grateful that I can see and walk,that I don't have cancer it just goes on and on,I look at turia Pitts Instagram when I want to see how much we can survive and how to stay grateful and positive.Some peoples temprements though can't be helped.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:26 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Great topic, OP!

Old 07-29-2017, 04:50 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
I sometimes feel a deep shame about the things I complain about. You hear stories about other people's situation and it can really help give you a clue.

It takes daily work for some people to keep a positive attitude or at least not negative. I'd be happy just to feel content. I'm a gloomy guy by nature but I'm trying to work on it.

Jim Gafigan is one of my fav comedians and a story just broke fairly recently about his wife having some kind of brain cancer and she's struggling still, been a few months since her surgery and reading it just was like a real kick in the crotch. She's around my age and I think jeezus, what a horrifying thing to go through.

I've got a couple of fairly minor health issues, nothing too big, most certainly no where near that. Gives you something to think about.

This really doves tails into the first world problems thread.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
This is so true. I always say, count your blessings, not your troubles.

There are times I get in a mood and whine and carry on. Yep, my house renovation isn't complete, my bathroom still isn't started, there are plain concrete floors, but I have a bathroom and nice rugs over it. The back yard isn't done, but my husband is working on it. I am blessed to have this home, be getting ready for retirement with a modest pension most people today will never have, and a modest Social Security payment young people probably won't have. I have my health, a new car to drive and a job until I retire. I have nice clothes, a wonderful, successful son and a husband who just had a clear CT scan (cancer survivor). Yep I get out of that whiney crap mood when I look around and see those less fortunate, who may have not made the best decisions etc.

Lots of things are self-inflicted and I was blessed with good parents who taught me what I needed to know to survive and make my own way.

Yes, you have a LOT. I can think of two other casual friends who live in multi million dollar "shacks" and can complain about everything. I have to tune out.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I sometimes feel a deep shame about the things I complain about. You hear stories about other people's situation and it can really help give you a clue.

It takes daily work for some people to keep a positive attitude or at least not negative. I'd be happy just to feel content. I'm a gloomy guy by nature but I'm trying to work on it.

Jim Gafigan is one of my fav comedians and a story just broke fairly recently about his wife having some kind of brain cancer and she's struggling still, been a few months since her surgery and reading it just was like a real kick in the crotch. She's around my age and I think jeezus, what a horrifying thing to go through.

I've got a couple of fairly minor health issues, nothing too big, most certainly no where near that. Gives you something to think about.

This really doves tails into the first world problems thread.
You know I was born after depression and parents lived thru it and can't remember my folks ever complaining and they had modest life and ENOUGH to eat, keep warm and find amusement.

We all have ENOUGH, often more than Enough. We're not pitching tents like a large population in the U.S. have to do. Be Mindful.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:47 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times
Hmmmm.....More times than not, the complaints are a signal of where the person is in their journey. We aren't ALL given the book of wisdom. It comes from experience. Simply because You have found a way to adapt to whatever scenario is thrown your way does not mean the other person has garnered that tool. Be a bit more a tune to that persons "concerns " (aka complaints).Most times it's them trying to adapt or regroup a circumstance.

Your burden is no less trivial then the next person. It's how you adjust thru it.

Sure gratitude is an attitude when trials occur in life, but lets not Color over the main issue and say....You "Should"be grateful ....Gratitude comes After enduring the "concern".

Old 07-29-2017, 08:08 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
I've been thinking about this topic for weeks.

I run into so many people that should be walking on sunshine. They have good marriages, good jobs, great kids and still not happy.

I then think - what chance do I have? LOL. Divorced several times, no kids by choice, living with a pack of noisy little hounds that don't let me sleep.

And a roommate that can be trying at times.

I guess i'm okay.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:10 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
You know I was born after depression and parents lived thru it and can't remember my folks ever complaining and they had modest life and ENOUGH to eat, keep warm and find amusement.

We all have ENOUGH, often more than Enough. We're not pitching tents like a large population in the U.S. have to do. Be Mindful.
Both my parents lived through the Depression and neither one had any complaints. They were tenant farmers, so always had plenty to eat and a place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology