Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 05:45 PM

894 posts, read 586,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I agree completely, Remington Steel (OP)!! silly and pretentious. I could not agree more!

Also, when one is older, being older each year is nothing to celebrate. Yes, it's great to be alive, but not great to be becoming older and older which is the meaning of another birthday.

It is childish. Birthday celebrations are for children. So silly for adults to seek being the center of attention on their birthday, of all things.

I have similar views about Christmas too, wish it were only every 5 years which might make it palatable.
I heavily disagree that it's childish to celebrate another year of having breath in one's body regardless of how old a person is.

It's simply a preference just like if someone prefers Pepsi instead of Coke, it's not "childish"; it's simply a preference.

I look at birthdays, New Year's Day, and each ordinary morning as an opportunity to improve myself and my life. I also look at them as a chance to correct past mistakes if necessary.

And as far as your statement that being older is nothing to celebrate, I also disagree. I know a lot of people who have aged fabulously mentally and even physically.

I for one am glad as I continually age because I know for a fact that with age comes experience and wiser choices.

I don't claim to be perfect nor do I claim to have a perfectly happy life but I'm enjoying many aspects of my life a whole lot more now than when I was younger.

And I'm grateful that I didn't die young and miss out on my current time on Earth.

I enjoy and appreciate my family and blessings way more than I ever did when I was much younger so for me, getting older is indeed worth celebrating.

And every birthday that my siblings, parents, and other extended family are alive, we all love to acknowledge it in some way because that's one of many times that our family finds a way to get together, enjoy each other's company, & show that we no longer take each other for granted.

Last edited by TruckWife518; 03-14-2017 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 05:47 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
The last birthday I celebrated was 30. After that birthdays are just reminders that I have one less year to look at lawns from the sunlight side instead of the dirt side.

Please, forget my birthday. Or if you're a real friend, take me out to dinner then pick up the tab!

Old 03-14-2017, 06:24 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,007,993 times
I love celebrating birthdays. I also love Christmas, and really any occasion for friends and family to get together, enjoy one another's company and eat cake.

It's amusing (and really quite sad) to me that some people are so judgmental about other's enjoyment of things in life.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:38 PM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I am not one to judge, well maybe a little...lol, but am I the only one who sees it as pretentious and "silly" to see people above the age of say 30 go out of their way to celebrate/party and announce to the world their birthday? I just always thought it was a "hey look at me" move and found it weird for anyone older than 30. Obviously Facebook doesn't help the situation in my mind!
Beats the alternative.

Have you tried minding your own business? No one forces you to celebrate your birthday. Live and let live.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:26 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,340 times
I spent about an hour today explaining why I felt like today,my birthday,was just another day. Had a nice dinner at home,bought myself a new fishing rod,and that was that.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:33 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,950,508 times
I was just talking about this with a friend. I told him that last weekend my twin brother and I went to SanFrancisco for our birthday. Then I told him that we're going to the Bahamas at the end of March to celebrate our birthday. He asked how many trips do you take to celebrate? I said, the whole month of March is our b-day and we celebrate accordingly! Lol

Old 03-14-2017, 10:50 PM

34,990 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I am not one to judge, well maybe a little...lol, but am I the only one who sees it as pretentious and "silly" to see people above the age of say 30 go out of their way to celebrate/party and announce to the world their birthday? I just always thought it was a "hey look at me" move and found it weird for anyone older than 30. Obviously Facebook doesn't help the situation in my mind!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I'm inclined to agree. I very much dislike being the centre of attention unless I've done something to deserve it. Staying alive for another year doesn't qualify.
I'm hitting the big 6-0 in a couple of weeks. Hoe that means I can rn a mile a minute.

Alll kidding aside I do not find it a cause for celebration. Though I am alert, play tennis and run I lost a job because of age at the end of 2014. Nothing good about it.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:42 AM

678 posts, read 437,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I just turned 60
which was very depressing for me. I had a small party with my skating friends at the rink,
and ... I think birthdays should be a celebration of life, the most amazing gift of all. Why not celebrate that every year?
You are 60, & continue ICE-skating ? - HURRAH for you 1st. time I laced-up, said I was 4
after some group-lessons, coach asked again, & I said 8
Then medical malpractice took me off the ice, & that year I became 89 But
that was temporary. As I refuse that useless 'aging & older' defunct strategy... Back to Center-ice

You got that Right: "
a celebration of life" YES!!

Old 03-15-2017, 04:03 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,729,333 times
Ive had two birthday parties my whole life and Im almost 70..one I remember when I was five and I hated it.. wasnt a lot of other children there mabye six. but I found it very embarrassing, but thats just me.... my other party was at my mothers insistance when I hit fifty... it was celebrated in the Grand Ole Opry in Glasgow with around ten other women.... I got cards with cash inside and ended up spending it all or nearly all buying them all drinks and food... the night went well but I dont like a big fuss or being the centre of attention.. so it was more a girls night out. or maybe unlike many others I DONT think Im worth it..

Last edited by dizzybint; 03-15-2017 at 04:15 AM..

Old 03-15-2017, 04:11 AM

1,112 posts, read 883,160 times
I friend of mine celebrated 60. 3 months later..succombed to the C-word. Got it?

Mae
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology