Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 02:56 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,723 times

Advertisements

One thing I have to wonder, are people here thinking of panhandlers when they think homeless? I ask because while some homeless panhandle, not all panhandlers are homeless. There are professional panhandlers out there who are not homeless at all. Essentially they are con artists. Some are very good at what they do too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 06:57 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times
I know there's a difference. (For example, homeless men who aren't panhandling tend to look scary.) I've seen a higher percentage of women among panhandlers than among the pure street people.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:08 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
This is part of the reason for the MGTOW movement... men should make up no more than 20-30% of the population. typically they were all killed off from wars in the past.. when it starts to get closer to 50% there are more men then there are women to go around, because women will go it alone before they'll take "boring" men especially now with social media thus a lot of men get depressed from the lack of female attention and the fact that single white males are the most discriminated class in society and just throw in the towel and say "bleep it"

If a woman is not overweight she WILL find someone to take her in, period. Even if she has no teeth and is bipolar. Heck even morbidly obese ones have men lined up.. and heck you've got men in prison that got women lined up to date them.. women will date prisoners before boring men. A lot of nice men who have all their teeth but are just socially awkward end up alone for vast periods of time because of just being who they are. Like it or not, life is not fair for men.

Men are at their best when they've got a girl by their side who appreciates them for the little things.. that sort of thing is a dying thing in this society.. gender roles are gone, women act masculine, men act feminine, etc.
Jeez! When I read posts like these it makes me wish men DID only make up only 20% of the population. Lucky for us gals (and society in general) most men don't have your extreme point of view. All this garbage about women not liking "boring" men (whatever you mean by "boring") and this obsession with weight, etc. Seems to me like you want to win without ever actually getting into the game and then when you don't, you turn around and assume the role of victim, whining that you are "discriminated" against. As a woman, I know all about discrimination but unlike you, I never made the decision to just drop out of my own life. I acquired job skills that were in demand at the time and I went out into the world and stood on my own two feet to see what life had to offer, both the good and the bad. The good almost always outweighs the bad if only you will allow it to.

So how has throwing in the towel and waiting for some skinny chick to come to your rescue working out for you these days? It's like a friend of mine used to say - you can lock yourself in a closet and pray for food all you want, but god is still not going to come along and stuff a hotdog under your door. I actually feel sorry for you - what a sad life you must lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I'd call that "highest rate of crime" and (if it's true) "highest rate of extreme poverty," and I said most of that before and my posts haven't been addressed at all.

To add something else that probably won't be addressed: I found a small citation indicating that young women living on the streets have an especially high death rate (thus lowering the percentage of women out there). My guess is that women fatally overdose more easily
I love the Internet. Without it I never would be ever to encounter so many on the outliers of so many issues. The reason no one addresses your posts is that they're so far out you might as well be coming from Pluto - which isn't even a planet anymore. FWIW, I used to drink men under the table back in the day and laugh at them. I never tried to OD one under the table, but I imagine tolerance to toxic substances still varies along some spectrum from individual to individual - be they male or female. How about giving us a link to your cite, hmmmm?

Besides, not every last homeless person is a drug addict. The issue of homelessness is not that simple. There are many reasons why people become homeless, but if you wanted to simplify the cause, try the ever growing problem of access to affordable housing - which is major issue for single Mom's with a kid or three to worry after.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 04-02-2017 at 11:18 AM..

Old 04-02-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Jeez! When I read posts like these it makes me wish men DID only make up only 20% of the population. Lucky for us gals (and society in general) most men don't have your extreme point of view. All this garbage about women not liking "boring" men (whatever you mean by "boring") and this obsession with weight, etc. Seems to me like you want to win without ever actually getting into the game and then when you don't, you turn around and assume the role of victim, whining that you are "discriminated" against. As a woman, I know all about discrimination but unlike you, I never made the decision to just drop out of my own life. I acquired job skills that were in demand at the time and I went out into the world and stood on my own two feet to see what life had to offer, both the good and the bad. The good almost always outweighs the bad if only you will allow it to.

So how has throwing in the towel and waiting for some skinny chick to come to your rescue working out for you these days? It's like a friend of mine used to say - you can lock yourself in a closet and pray for food all you want, but god is still not going to come along and stuff a hotdog under your door. I actually feel sorry for you - what a sad life you must lead.

I love the Internet. Without it I never would be ever to encounter so many on the outliers of so many issues. The reason no one addresses your posts is that they're so far out you might as well be coming from Pluto - which isn't even a planet anymore. FWIW, I used to drink men under the table back in the day and laugh at them. I never tried to OD one under the table, but I imagine tolerance to toxic substances still varies along some spectrum from individual to individual - be they male or female. How about giving us a link to your cite, hmmmm?

Besides, not every last homeless person is a drug addict. The issue of homelessness is not that simple. There are many reasons why people become homeless, but if you wanted to simplify the cause, try the ever growing problem of access to affordable housing - which is major issue for single Mom's with a kid or three to worry after.
How about I don't feel like to trying to find it again for the sake of someone who insults me? Besides, it was a line in a Word document that people probably wouldn't want to open, re a minor reason why women are less seen in the homeless community.

I'm not interested in anecdotes. I base my assertions on data where possible. For example (assuming the following refers to research)
Quote:
Comparing people with alcohol use disorders, women have death rates 50 to 100 percent higher than do men, including deaths from suicides, alcohol-related accidents, heart disease, stroke, and liver disease.
https://www.harrishousestl.org/gender-affect-addiction/

Also, drug overdose does often kill homeless women.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC385354/

So I believe my proposed explanation for why homelessness apparently kills women faster was near the mark. As everything else I claimed in posts in this thread. There's no epidemic of people dying out there, but let's just say that life-threatening illness forces men and women off the streets, with women likely getting into that state faster.

Also, I just found an article that delves into the same topic this thread does.
https://www.culturalweekly.com/homeless-men-women/

Old 04-03-2017, 08:34 AM

823 posts, read 1,973,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Anywhere around the world I saw in cities from Sao Paolo to Berlin the majority of beggars or street sitting hobos are males. I'd go so far as to say the ratio would be 8:2 in favor of men. Why is it so? I mean poor people born on the streets are both sexes and yet predominantly-anywhere in the world- you usually only see men.

I spent some days sleeping on the street in London, UK, a few years go. So I went to a shelter called Manna Foundation, where you can eat for free. They accept everybody, locals and foreigners, no ID needed, no questions asked. They also offer free hot showers and stuff, I just took the food.

The name of the shelter is spot on, a good warm plate of rice with chicken and a big cup of tea was like a godsent when you are sleeping rough.

So I also noticed the demographics of the users of the place. All of us were men. There was a bit of everything...some nutcases, some loners, some normal looking guys who were just having a rough time, it was quite a diverse clientele.

One day I noticed a few pamphlets and started reading. There were lots of statistics about the users of the place.

They had statistics about race, age, nationality, religion, level of eduction, etc...and gender.

There was an abysmal difference in terms of gender. I cant remember the exact numbers but were something like 90 per cent all users were men and 10 per cent were women.

But that was not the key factor. When you go there to eat you are asked if you wanna make an appointment for a councellor, or social worker.

And here the differences between gender was very telling. 99 per cent of women had arranged an appointment, and the percentage of men was much lower. (cant remember exactly, it was round 40 per cent).

So there you go, fewer women go there, and the few that go are much more interested in exploring all the oportunities available to them.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:14 PM

823 posts, read 1,973,289 times
Sorry, I meant Manna Society, in case somebody wants to use their services.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I haven't noticed homeless women in libraries, not that I spend much time there myself. Supposing it's true, it raises the very real possibility that libraries and other establishments are much more likely to tolerate homeless women on their property than they are to tolerate the homeless men. (Yes, I know that it's generally illegal for public libraries and such to kick out people just for being homeless, but I have a feeling many manage to anyway.) One issue I've noticed from being near homeless men is that, at least during warm weather, they generally smell horrible. Men smell worse than women in general, giving people another excuse to be harsh toward homeless men.
I worked in suburban branch libraries for many years. We got homeless men more often. While it is true that homeless can't be kicked out for being homeless, it is also true that they cause a lot of grief for staff. One problem we had was someone who used our public bathroom as his private washroom, causing extra work for our custodian.

We also had people who did not like following rules for internet usage.

I've also had at least one female sleep in our reference room because her shelter would not allow her to stay there during the day.

Generally, the people who get kicked out or banned from library premises are people who make trouble. In my experience this happened rarely.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:20 AM

Is it fair to say that the odds of a homeless male patron misbehaving were higher than those of a homeless woman in there?

Old 04-05-2017, 11:38 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
We have a large homeless population in Las Vegas. I can't say it's a fact, just my observation, I would say it's 3 men to every woman here. I think part of this is because the men are less afraid so they can be more visible. Many of the women are probably afraid of being attacked so they keep a low profile. Hide out a lot.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:47 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,300,978 times
I actually feel scared for homeless women because some men will take advantage of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology