Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 01:53 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,537,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
When you meet the right one it won't make any difference to him how you act.
Of course it can. Firstly, there's no right "one." If there were, the chances of you bumping into him in America, let alone in the world as a whole, are numerically close to no chance.

There's obviously way more than one possible "one."

Secondly, if you act like an ass to him it may well put him off. So yes, you are doing the right thing identifying a personality change that you put out when you like someone too much, and your attempts to rein that in. Its probably only a brief temporal thing anyway - if you can suppress being defensive long enough for him to get to know you, then the facade will soon drop away anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 03:40 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,991,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketa View Post
Thank you for your input. Yes, I do fear loss of control. I have tried therapists several times, but did not feel that they were very helpful/deep. I'll look more into that. Thank you

Marketa, was there a time in your life when something big was out of your control? I don't know...maybe something happened to your parents or someone close in your life? Maybe you were molested or abused by someone bigger and stronger than you? A painful divorce?

Before I met my current husband, I was kind of like you, in that after dating a guy for awhile, I'd usually freak out about us getting too serious...and I'd break up with the guy. Rarely did the guy break up with me...I didn't give them the chance. I was afraid of being so deeply hurt...like I was when my first husband and I divorced.

Soooo...along comes my second husband, and we start dating. He's great! NO red flags, gets along and 'gets' my Asperger's son, treats me respectfully...everything.

Never-the-less, I start freaking out. But THIS time, a quiet little voice in my head said "Let's be objective here...Is he good to you?" "Yes." "Does he like your kids?" "Yes." "Does he treat you with respect?" "Yes." "Then jump off the cliff and trust him to catch you."

And so I did.

If you are with a guy...and nothing is wrong with him...he pushes all the right buttons, and treats you well...sometimes you just have to take that leap of faith.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:26 PM

761 posts, read 602,617 times
Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology