Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 01:15 PM

673 posts, read 486,450 times

Advertisements

Hi , so my brother, who is 28, has some addiction issues. He had problems with pills in the past and went to NA and was able to get clean. He was clean for a year or so but still drank alcohol. He seemed to be okay. He has a good job and he was keeping the drinking under control. Last week he went out with friends and had 15 shots and pills and got a DUI and in an accident. He claims he learned his lesson but my parents and I think he should go to some sort of rehab. He now has cut mynparents off saying he doesn't need to be lectured and he doesn't want to do rehab. He said I am the only one he will talk to because I am not lecturing him. How can I get through to him that he should seek help ? He is extremely close with my parents so to say he won't speak to them again is pretty drastic. I am trying to approach him in a way that doesn't come off as lecturing but he keeps saying he is clean and fine and happy. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 08:22 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,312,829 times
There is nothing to say to him. One of the first tenets of assisting is for the one you help to acknowledge their need of help. He is not in that place so there is nothing to say. Sitting around waiting for him to fail and say, 'I told you so' doesn't work either. He needs to find the need himself. If he suddenly declares a need, that's when you can offer help. Until then, support him in his clean, fine, and happy life. It doesn't appear a 'tough-love' tack will work either. Be a sibling until you cannot stand it any longer, then call yourself out. Even as he has the option, you don't have to hang out with him if you don't want. Being in close range with an addict is very difficult. Stay as long as you can, then leave.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:00 AM

866 posts, read 631,153 times
Thumbs up Hit bottom HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
Hi , so my brother, who is 28, has some addiction issues. He had problems with pills in the past and went to NA and was able to get clean. He was clean for a year or so but still drank alcohol. He seemed to be okay. He has a good job and he was keeping the drinking under control. Last week he went out with friends and had 15 shots and pills and got a DUI and in an accident. He claims he learned his lesson but my parents and I think he should go to some sort of rehab. He now has cut mynparents off saying he doesn't need to be lectured and he doesn't want to do rehab. He said I am the only one he will talk to because I am not lecturing him. How can I get through to him that he should seek help ? He is extremely close with my parents so to say he won't speak to them again is pretty drastic. I am trying to approach him in a way that doesn't come off as lecturing but he keeps saying he is clean and fine and happy. Any help is appreciated.
My experience with Recovery and addiction is that, unless an Addict is in extreme pain and has hit bottom several times, the harder the better, the Addict will NOT GO FOR HELP and even if court ordered into a "program" the Addict will not take any of it seriously and will go right back to their "fix" or Life Raft. Him telling you that he is clean, fine and "happy" is his way of saying he has not been hurt enough by his addictions to NEED any help. It's difficult to say it but, he is going to have to get extremely hurt to the point of begging for help and then there might be some hope for him. You can talk, beg, lecture, threaten, manipulate, reason, cry, plead, scold, warn, etc. all you like BUT he is not ever going to give up his LIFE RAFT until it either scares him to death or nearly KILLS him.
I finally went for help after I was in extreme pain and had become frozen with terror and hopelessness. And even during Recovery, I still had to hit a few more "bottoms" to get serious about Recovery.
good luck

Old 04-06-2017, 01:10 AM

866 posts, read 631,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
Stay as long as you can, then leave.
Knowing what I now know, I would not give a hard core Addict a half second of my time! The sooner he realizes that he is ON HIS OWN, the more likely he will be to get scared enough to ask for help and I don't mean $$$ help. Don't be there for him! Don't bail him out of jail! Don't run every time he calls and don't let him USE you in any way. Let him hit bottom so hard that it rattles his entire world and then MAYBE you can offer to drive him to a rehab center or whatever is available. Just walk away and DON'T LOOK BACK!

Old 04-06-2017, 05:58 AM

673 posts, read 486,450 times
My parents are cutting him off completely. They were helping him out before with expenses though I am not sure why since he makes his own money and does pretty well. He basically told me he doesn't think he will be able to afford health care because he has no money. His money is clearly going to drugs instead. I will not help him with money if he asks but will try and help him organize his expenses to pay them. Should I be there for him like a friend though ? Should I pretend nothing is wrong? I am just scared that if he doesn't realize now he is at rock bottom then what will make him realize ?

Old 04-06-2017, 02:07 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,071,676 times
My name is Gerard, I am a recovered alcoholic.
Well, a druggy not taking drugs but drinking booze is not "clean".
Most addicts I know say they never put a needle in their arm until there was booze in their stomach.

There is nothing you can "do" because you have no Power. We aren't God.
What you may find to be of tremendous help is Alanon, whilst its mostly for family members of drinkers it really is about you and how to stop playing God.

Have you ever seen those bumper stickers "Let go and Let God"?
Thats what they are getting at, as long as you keep trying to help, though well intended,
he will sink further down the scale. Then he will become angry at you and you will not see why.

Its all rather paradoxical. Try Alanon online.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:11 PM

88,675 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Hi, Gerard!

Just couldn't resist.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:08 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,260,880 times
Quote:
My parents are cutting him off completely. They were helping him out before with expenses though I am not sure why since he makes his own money and does pretty well. He basically told me he doesn't think he will be able to afford health care because he has no money. His money is clearly going to drugs instead. I will not help him with money if he asks but will try and help him organize his expenses to pay them. Should I be there for him like a friend though ? Should I pretend nothing is wrong? I am just scared that if he doesn't realize now he is at rock bottom then what will make him realize ?
NO.

Let him know you'll be ready for him when HE decides to get clean & get help.

You are not his doctor, therapist nor accountant. You will fill the role where your parents left off and "rock bottom" will be even further away.

Until then, you take care of your own life.

He has made his choice.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:13 PM

56 posts, read 47,036 times
Quote:
My name is Gerard, I am a recovered alcoholic.
Well, a druggy not taking drugs but drinking booze is not "clean".
Most addicts I know say they never put a needle in their arm until there was booze in their stomach.

There is nothing you can "do" because you have no Power. We aren't God.
What you may find to be of tremendous help is Alanon, whilst its mostly for family members of drinkers it really is about you and how to stop playing God.

Have you ever seen those bumper stickers "Let go and Let God"?
Thats what they are getting at, as long as you keep trying to help, though well intended,
he will sink further down the scale. Then he will become angry at you and you will not see why.

Its all rather paradoxical. Try Alanon online.
Best advice ever! Get to Alanon. It's not easy loving an addict. I am so sorry. You can love your brother without sacrificing your own self. Alanon will help

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/

Old 04-07-2017, 01:26 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,438,444 times
Quote:
Last week he went out with friends and had 15 shots and pills and got a DUI and in an accident.
You won't have to anything, the court will do it for him.

Hopefully, he'll learn once he has his mandatory jail time, pays his fine, goes to DUI school, completes community service, and stays on probation for at least a year.

With an accident, it's likely going to be harsher than that. Because he had alcohol and pills in his system, the court will require him to go to counseling, and they will likely refer him to a detox or rehab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology