Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 11:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Unsettling? No.

Uninteresting? Sometimes.

I pretty much roll my eyes every time I stroll through my favorite gallery at our local art museum and come upon their Rothkos. But much of what's in their modern wings is just fine. Some of it's great.

Taste is personal and subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Thomas Kindade is more kitsch than art. It's meant to trigger certain emotions, rather than show the beauty of something. But unlike a lot of the modern art, I can at least see the artistic value in his paintings.

I consider Norman Rockwell, also somewhat kitschy, to be one or two steps above Thomas Kinkade.
Any art can trigger emotions, and ideally, should.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:21 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Art is subjective.

Although I think this would be more appropriate in the fine art forum, I'll try to explain. First, Modern
art period -1880 to 1950 (or up to 1970). That would even include post impressionists.
Contemporary art 1960/70 to the present (this would include conceptual art).
I like Cubism and do not think it is insane. Picasso and Braque were influenced by Cezanne and
cubist paintings were revolutionary in the sense that they reduced their images to a geometric cubes
and distinct planes, along with separate viewpoints. Not an easy process to do which also included
the illusion of depth.

All artists use the Elements and Principles of Design https://www.johnlovett.com/design-overview
(even Music has elements and principles). The E&P are essential and fundamentals to both art
and music.

When the old argument comes up that my child could do this, or I could do this - my response
is that's highly unlikely for these reasons:
1. You probably couldn't since the artist in question has been doing this for years and has mastered
the skill using the medium (oils or acrylic paints).
example http://images.slideplayer.com/24/743...es/slide_8.jpg
These are oil paintings (1921) created with very precise lines using a brush and carefully
selected colors and symmetry.

2. But you were not the first person to create something new that was never done before.
Chagall expressionist
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...86329d1c33.jpg

Old 04-12-2017, 12:07 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
People don't want to work at understanding "art". Much contemporary art is abstract or depicts ugly subjects. People want to feel good and see relatable subjects or pretty colors. And I think people don't want to feel stupid and that their interpretation is "wrong". You can say it is subjective, and it is, but critics will have a much different view than the "untrained".

Old 04-12-2017, 01:39 PM

The above seems to imply that if something is concrete versus abstract, or is purposefully designed to be aesthetically pleasing, it is perhaps not art.

I don't think this is particularly accurate.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:43 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Thomas Kindade is more kitsch than art. It's meant to trigger certain emotions, rather than show the beauty of something. But unlike a lot of the modern art, I can at least see the artistic value in his paintings.

I consider Norman Rockwell, also somewhat kitschy, to be one or two steps above Thomas Kinkade.
Marilyn Vos Savant was asked in her column who she thought might be considered the greatest 20-century artist 200 years from now. She said Norman Rockwell, because people will be looking for depictions of what life looked like in the 20th century rather than for canvases that look as if someone's cat knocked over paint on them.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
People don't want to work at understanding "art". Much contemporary art is abstract or depicts ugly subjects. People want to feel good and see relatable subjects or pretty colors. And I think people don't want to feel stupid and that their interpretation is "wrong". You can say it is subjective, and it is, but critics will have a much different view than the "untrained".
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The above seems to imply that if something is concrete versus abstract, or is purposefully designed to be aesthetically pleasing, it is perhaps not art.

I don't think this is particularly accurate.
Not at all! I'm saying some people don't consider it art if it is NOT concrete or aesthetically pleasing! If it is "ugly" and not "pretty" and has no obvious or pleasant meaning...they just aren't interested. I'm not making any statement of what constitutes art, only what some consider art to be as in, personal definitions. Just like p0rn - "they know it when they see it".

Old 04-12-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Marilyn Vos Savant was asked in her column who she thought might be considered the greatest 20-century artist 200 years from now. She said Norman Rockwell, because people will be looking for depictions of what life looked like in the 20th century rather than for canvases that look as if someone's cat knocked over paint on them.
Eh...that's her opinion and everyone has one...and it makes sense if you're only interested in art as it reveals clues of what everyday life was like historically. But who will know which representation is the most accurate? Just because it is visually accurate doesn't make it historically accurate and vice versa.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:48 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Perhaps simply because calling something "art" doesn't make it so. If "art" is whatever anyone wants it to be, then the word itself no longer has meaning. That doesn't mean all art has to be the Mona Lisa (heck I don't particularly care for it myself) but poop on plate isn't art.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:53 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:

I agree with you about Kincaid, but have you ever seen original paintings by Norman Rockwell? If not, get back to me when you have. They are breathtaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology