Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 12:31 AM

10,105 posts, read 19,335,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Not in my experience. They always stick me right up front by the window. I prefer a bit more privacy rather than feeling like a window display.
They must consider you "window-dressing"

Old 04-18-2017, 04:31 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,783,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Why do you overtip so much? I'm not surprised he'd be upset. Unless you're very rich, what the heck are you doing throwing your money away tipping like a high-roller?
There are many people who do not believe that tipping an extra five bucks in such a situation is acting like a "high-roller" or "throwing money away." Many people also don't feel they need their spouse's approval to spend their own hard earned money. And many believe that being generous, especially to those working tough jobs who often get hurt by cheapskates, makes both parties a little bit richer at the end of the day.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:12 AM

3,810 posts, read 8,714,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitchyou View Post
When you are going out to eat at a restaurant alone, what makes the host/hostess seat you near the bathrooms or near the kitchen?! I feel like no one, single or in a group, wants to be near the restrooms, trashcans, and/or kitchen when eating out. (Why are there seats near those areas anyway?)

I have been observing when I go out to eat by myself it's like they automatically put me near that area, and then when I tell them id rather sit somewhere else, they low-key act like it's a problem. Sometimes when I have a friend or two with me, the seating area is a little bit better. Occasionally, they will direct me to the bar to sit, and I go there, but most of the time it's near the EXIT/restrooms/kitchen/trashcans. Are people that work in restaurants taught to purposely seat customers that are by themselves near that kind of area? Or does it depend on how the person looks and the vibe they give off? If it is about saving space in case some huge group shows up...well I still feel like it is rude! (especially when the restaurant isn't that busy)

Sometimes im tired and stressed (like when I get off of work) when I go to eat out, but I make an effort to smile and be polite anyway, and I STILL get seated in the back of the restaurant...basically solitary confinement it feels like!

No idea where to put this, so if Psychology does not fit, please let me know!
That never happens to me. Perhaps you're generalizing to avoid introspection.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:28 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,280,350 times
Easier for me to get to the bathroom lol.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:37 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,020,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
And many believe that being generous, especially to those working tough jobs who often get hurt by cheapskates, makes both parties a little bit richer at the end of the day.
I completely agree. Those extra few dollars don't mean as much to me as they possibly do to someone who is working a difficult job. I try to tip generously ---I consider this my little way of spreading the wealth and am grateful that I am in a position where I can spare a few extra dollars here and there.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:34 PM

28,602 posts, read 18,638,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
When I was working solo patrol and stopped to eat, I'd always ask to be seated at a small table at the rear of the restaurant. That always seemed to be the area adjacent to the kitchen, rest rooms, etc. I kept my back to the wall, enabling me to see the entire dining room. I still prefer that dining arrangement, even though I'm retired.
From my time overseas during the 80s Euroterrorism period, I learned to do that and still do, although also retired.

I particularly prefer to be facing the front door from a table near the exit or even better, near the kitchen (there is always a kitchen exit, and scooting into the kitchen is tactically better than trying to get out through a public exit).

Old 04-18-2017, 10:58 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,537,052 times
Quote:
When I was working solo patrol and stopped to eat, I'd always ask to be seated at a small table at the rear of the restaurant. That always seemed to be the area adjacent to the kitchen, rest rooms, etc. I kept my back to the wall, enabling me to see the entire dining room. I still prefer that dining arrangement, even though I'm retired.
Very common amongst those in the military and LE community. I'm retired from both and I still sit with my back to the wall. My wife knows to always let me have the wall.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:01 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,970,708 times
Quote:
The long awaited return of Springs1 (under a new name) has come upon us.
haha, stressful just skimming that post..

Old 04-18-2017, 11:05 PM

343 posts, read 314,716 times
Ok yes, if you tell them where you want to sit, then you will get seated there (assuming it's not too busy). But even if you don't tell them, and it isn't busy, why do they try (of the times that this does happen to people) and put you near the back of the restaurant? Im talking literally where all the crazy stuff is happening all at once that takes away from someone's dining experience. I also wonder why they do this especially if there are other seats available like in the middle of the room or along a side wall with a window or whatever like several posters have mentioned on here. I just find that odd that they make a beeline to THAT specific area.

I just had a thought....maybe they do it because it is easier to take care of people there? Easier to clear off tables & deliver food, they don't have to walk so far...and because of the location it makes you want to hurry up and leave I guess.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:35 AM

761 posts, read 601,056 times
They get seated there because they don't say "No, can you find another table for me?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology