Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 03:07 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The only way you're going to survive believing that romantic love is just a notion is if you are able to compartmentalize very well and be extra mindful about living in the present moment.
Another way, of which I was a very early adopter, is to disregard it completely, focus your time and energy on things you want to do and look back with a sense of accomplishment on a productive if solitary life.

The secret to avoiding repeats of history or even first time lapses in judgement is to consider all your friends' and family's mistakes and decide not to make them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 05:28 AM

943 posts, read 1,198,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
very well said. OP romance is something that people engage in to create loving relationships, that hopefully last a lifetime. without romance, we may as well have contract marriages that set the length of the marriage, the division of assets when the contract is up, or go back into negotiations to get a contract extension.

this contract would also determine what would happen if children are produced as a result of this marriage, such as who tales care of the kids, who supports them financially, etc.

the problem with contracts though is, it doesnt take into account emotions of any kind, and with children you cant eliminate emotions.
But aren't most marriages operated like a contract basis with mandatory family prenuptial and custodial contracts, esp. In the event of dissolution.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:49 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
My grandma didn't believe in romantic love; and neither do the rest of my family. While they've all had experiences to account from, we've all come to the conclusion that it is just merely a tolerance threshold highlightened by our personal, subjective, at the time, perception of them. It rarely lasts an extended period of time.

From this belief, what is the point of romantic relationships other than wasting time? I can't understand why it would be fun after you've had x amount of relationships and everything about everyone is just a repeat of history.
I believe that it exists.

However it is not a reliable method to base a marriage.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:03 AM

226 posts, read 298,027 times
The definition of romance is a feeling of excitement and mystery associated with love. This is how one feels when we first become infatuated with someone. It usually evolves into something more comfortable and familiar as you spend more time together. No less wonderful, just less exciting and mysterious.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:10 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
I've heard of the first and I can understand that. But I've never heard the second.
You never heard of SO's giving things up for love?

Old 04-23-2017, 08:28 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherron View Post
The definition of romance is a feeling of excitement and mystery associated with love. This is how one feels when we first become infatuated with someone. It usually evolves into something more comfortable and familiar as you spend more time together. No less wonderful, just less exciting and mysterious.
Or it doesn't. I want to believe in romantic love--I want to very much. But I think that it's an illusion that lasts for about 2 years or however long it takes you to fall back into your old patterns and programming. The purpose of that illusion is to get you into bed with that person, just in case sex wasn't enough to get you there lol. And the beat goes on. . . . M. Scott Peck had some good things to say on this subject in The Road Less Traveled, but I keep in mind that everyone's opinion is tinged by their life experiences and so is mine.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:37 AM

943 posts, read 1,198,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
You never heard of SO's giving things up for love?
Romantic love /= parental bond and love.

When it comes to SO's, everyone has a price, just like a friend or family member

Old 04-23-2017, 09:45 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Romantic love /= parental bond and love.

When it comes to SO's, everyone has a price, just like a friend or family member
At times yes.....some bonds are extreme though.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:00 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
But aren't most marriages operated like a contract basis with mandatory family prenuptial and custodial contracts, esp. In the event of dissolution.
some are no doubt. but for the most part, usually when two people fall in love, they marry with the intention of staying together for a lifetime. when things go wrong and a marriage is dissolved, its usually a judge that decides what the post marriage contract will be.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:21 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Or it doesn't. I want to believe in romantic love--I want to very much. But I think that it's an illusion that lasts for about 2 years or however long it takes you to fall back into your old patterns and programming. The purpose of that illusion is to get you into bed with that person, just in case sex wasn't enough to get you there lol. And the beat goes on. . . . M. Scott Peck had some good things to say on this subject in The Road Less Traveled, but I keep in mind that everyone's opinion is tinged by their life experiences and so is mine.
So long as a person is chasing the 'ideal' of falling they will be wind swept by each new partner, and not very stable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology