Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 01:20 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,511,587 times

Advertisements

This is something I've always wondered.

Society pressures people to couple up, commit, settle down and gave kids. Anytime someone deviates from that norm.. people freak. Obviously people don't freak as much as in the past, but there is still some discomfort with the idea that someone wants to stay single.

As a single guy in my early 30's I've noticed the increasing pressure and questions about my choice to stay single. What I don't understand is why anyone cares. If you are happy following the traditional cookie-cutter lifestyle you were told to follow.. what does that have to do with me?

I haven't decided yet if I will ever get married or have kids, but I find the idea less appealing the older I get. So I might possibly stay single for life or at least for the foreseeable future. I would rather just date people and have fun lighthearted relationships with no agenda.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:22 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,671,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Society pressures people to couple up, commit, settle down and gave kids. Anytime someone deviates from that norm.. people freak.
It would help me put forward a theory if I knew who exactly in society is "freaking" and putting this pressure on you regularly.

I assume family, but ...

Old 04-23-2017, 01:25 PM

102,086 posts, read 107,163,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
This is something I've always wondered.

Society pressures people to couple up, commit, settle down and gave kids. Anytime someone deviates from that norm.. people freak. Obviously people don't freak as much as in the past, but there is still some discomfort with the idea that someone wants to stay single.

As a single guy in my early 30's I've noticed the increasing pressure and questions about my choice to stay single. What I don't understand is why anyone cares. If you are happy following the traditional cookie-cutter lifestyle you were told to follow.. what does that have to do with me?

I haven't decided yet if I will ever get married or have kids, but I find the idea less appealing the older I get. So I might possibly stay single for life or at least for the foreseeable future. I would rather just date people and have fun lighthearted relationships with no agenda.
I've never encountered any kind of pressure or questioning about my single status. These days it's normal in some parts of the country for people to be single for a long time, even into their 40's. Nobody bats an eye anywhere, where I've lived. Most of my friends are single, anyway.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:26 PM

8,919 posts, read 7,679,852 times
For me....there is no pressure but there is "pestering."

My family claims they just want to see me happy with someone and they're curious to see what I would be like. My friends think I'm lonely. I think others do it because they have nothing else to talk to me about. I think most people are just bored.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post

My family claims they just want to see me happy with someone. I think others do it because they have nothing else to talk about. I just think most people are just bored.

YES

There is really no extreme pressure. I've just noticed a change after turning age 30 where people expect me to be looking for a wife. When I say I'm not actively looking, many are surprised or wonder why.

Pressure or no pressure.. the majority of people still assume single people don't like being single lol.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:31 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,316,139 times
It is seen as abnormal to those who believe life to be a certain way. They view thier beliefs as absolute and you must conform or be strutinized as wierd or perverted.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:32 PM

102,086 posts, read 107,163,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post

My family claims they just want to see me happy with someone and they're curious to see what I would be like. My friends think I'm lonely. I think others do it because they have nothing else to talk to me about. I think most people are just bored.
That's a form of pressure. At least, for the purposes of this thread, I'm assuming that's included in the definition of "pressure".

Old 04-23-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
It is seen as abnormal to those who believe life to be a certain way. They see thier beliefs as absolute and you must conform or be strutinized as wierd or perverted.
And that's whats wrong with the world.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:35 PM

51,952 posts, read 52,370,290 times
IDK. We were lucky in that our families never pressured us to get married. Probably because between all four of our parents there's been loads of marriages and divorces and they probably figure screw it, leave the kids alone and let them do their own thing.

People are getting married a bit later in life now and more and more people aren't getting married at all. If the OP likes to just keep it loose and casual that's his business. The only people putting pressure on him is probably his family. Society here in America is shifting a bit and the family unit is starting to reflect that as well.

Do your thang and don't let other people opinions get in the way. If you just wanna stay single and date around have at it.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:38 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,440,493 times
Why does anyone care? Well, because people buying into a social philosophy (or religious philosophy) want validation from others. Anyone who thinks or acts in a contrary fashion is a threat to the status quo, and may make the believers question their social conditioning ... which leads to anarchy! LOL

So, they hope to enlist you into their views, as misery loves company. Hey, that's just MY theory!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology