Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 07:35 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Has anyone else ever felt relieved and grateful that a person was not in your life anymore, when you had previously felt disturbed over their absence. And after a lot of reflection and introspection, you realize you are eternally grateful they are not part of your life?
Yes, most definitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 06:27 AM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 26 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,389 times
There have been times when someone passed on, and I thought I was devastated by it at first, but later realized what a hard time I would have if they could return.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:27 AM

30 posts, read 24,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Has anyone else ever felt relieved and grateful that a person was not in your life anymore, when you had previously felt disturbed over their absence. And after a lot of reflection and introspection, you realize you are eternally grateful they are not part of your life?
Been there and done that! It's funny you should mention that, because I went through that very thing in the not too distant past. I had a female friend that I was once intimate with. To be honest, I'm not sure what we were, so I suppose friends with benefits best described us? Anyway, she got angry at me and ceased talking to me, despite me apologizing and doing everything I could to make amends. She is as done with me as it is humanly possible to be. Even though she HATES me more than words can possibly describe, I wanted to fix it. I missed her and wanted her back in the worst way. But, as you stated, after a lot of reflection and introspection, I realized that this really is for the better. Someone told me "look, even if you somehow fixed things and got her back into your life, number one, it wouldn't be the same as it was years ago, and two you would soon be wishing that you had just left her in the past". The person that told me that was spot on. I could very well see myself down the road, looking back to now and thinking "why did I bring her back? I didn't know how good I had it!".

Old 05-04-2017, 08:01 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBridge View Post
Been there and done that! It's funny you should mention that, because I went through that very thing in the not too distant past. I had a female friend that I was once intimate with. To be honest, I'm not sure what we were, so I suppose friends with benefits best described us? Anyway, she got angry at me and ceased talking to me, despite me apologizing and doing everything I could to make amends. She is as done with me as it is humanly possible to be. Even though she HATES me more than words can possibly describe, I wanted to fix it. I missed her and wanted her back in the worst way. But, as you stated, after a lot of reflection and introspection, I realized that this really is for the better. Someone told me "look, even if you somehow fixed things and got her back into your life, number one, it wouldn't be the same as it was years ago, and two you would soon be wishing that you had just left her in the past". The person that told me that was spot on. I could very well see myself down the road, looking back to now and thinking "why did I bring her back? I didn't know how good I had it!".
Sometimes a person leaving is a blessing in disguise. It could have turned out worse if they had stayed.

I also think it's sometimes better to be lonely than be with toxic people.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:12 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
I am going through this now, and it is emotionally painful. I've tried letting this person go before, and I let him back in, because of the emotional pain. I haven't let him back in this time, but it's only been a little less than 2 weeks! :^)

He's a former boyfriend/lover of a couple decades ago - but we've been just friends now with almost daily contact for the past 7 years.

Last edited by matisse12; 05-04-2017 at 01:40 PM..

Old 05-04-2017, 01:29 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
I learned the hard way to not tempt fate by repeating mistakes. There is no better sex than make up sex, particularly with a schizo woman (or man if you're a woman) but a mistake 7 years ago is still a mistake today.

Out of the many people I know I've seen only one exception, and I think the earlier relationship just lost steam. My friend married another, had children, finally realized he was married to a crazy psycho, got divorced, ran into old GF, they got together and married. She was a high school sweetheart.

The exceptions are always fewer than the majority that fail. Don't tempt fate. There are plenty of other fish in the river.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:33 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
No, a supply of good friends is not readily available. And that's what he is, a good friend. But one that is bad in some or too many ways.

Please do not project erroneous assumptions onto my situation. And sex is not involved.

Last edited by matisse12; 05-04-2017 at 01:51 PM..

Old 05-04-2017, 01:38 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
No, a supply of good friends are not readily available. And that's what he is, a good friend. But one that is bad is some or too many
ways.

Please do not project erroneous assumptions onto my situation. And sex is not involved.
What is your post in response to?

Old 05-04-2017, 10:20 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,035 times
Quote:
I am going through this now, and it is emotionally painful. I've tried letting this person go before, and I let him back in, because of the emotional pain. I haven't let him back in this time, but it's only been a little less than 2 weeks! :^)

He's a former boyfriend/lover of a couple decades ago - but we've been just friends now with almost daily contact for the past 7 years.
Has he become involved with someone else, a new friend perhaps?

I've had men friends before and once they get into a relationship, they would tell me it was time to back off. That their girlfriend wasn't okay with them having women friends.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:02 AM

30 posts, read 24,669 times
Quote:
No, a supply of good friends is not readily available. And that's what he is, a good friend. But one that is bad in some or too many ways.

I feel you. Your can totally relate to your first statement. For a lot of people, there simply is not a plethora of friends to go pick from if you lose one. The impact of a loss of a friend can be felt for a long time to come. I felt my loss for several years. Now, in my situation, I am now seeing for the first time that having my former friend back would not be a good thing. I really do see now that if I did somehow, against all odds, get her back in my life, I would soon thereafter be kicking myself for doing it. But, of course, that's my situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology