Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 05:27 AM

179 posts, read 155,764 times

Advertisements

Why do people take sex so seriously? I swear people used to be alot more fun and didn't think you had to "be in love" or marry that person before you had sex. Take precautions and sex is the ultimate in fun and laughter. But nope, everything is so damn serious. "I don't have feelings toward you... it could lead to other things... blah...blah...blah."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 06:02 AM

486 posts, read 991,557 times
I always say they should put "chill pills" in the water instead of fluoride.

Anyhoo...I am surprised no one mentioned that perhaps, just maybe, many people are so serious these days because of the overuse of prescription drugs. Yeah, I said *it.*

There are millions of children on psychiatric drugs (ADHD etc.) and they take these drugs for years and years. Plus millions of adults are on psychiatric drugs and every other drug under the sun for restless legs, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, nerve pain, depression, anxiety, etc. Drugs have side effects, sometimes multiple side effects, which requires you to take other drugs to offset the side effects. It is a never ending cycle of messing with one's mind and body. No wonder people are so damn serious. They are spending too much time trying to live forever while drugged up to the hilt and worrying about how they are going to pay for their "healthcare" and drugs so they can yet again...live forever.

But is that really living?

Back in the 60's and 70's my grandparents and aunts and uncles would play cards once a month and have gourmet parties. They liked to drink and eat AT HOME. Try getting together like-minded people today to play cards and host monthly gourmet parties. I can tell you no one in my family has the time for such useless fun. They are too busy working (even though my grandparents worked, as did my aunts and uncles) and stopping at the grocery store/fast food place every night to pick up dinner, so they can go home and get on Facebook and take selfies to show everyone how busy they are.

It is a drug-filled narcissistic society we live in. Many people seem to be too scared to make decisions, lest they be "wrong" and NO ONE can fail in today's narcissistic society. We all must have perfect selfies and perfect lives. So we now have scared social justice warriors on anti-anxiety medication, constantly updating his/her Facebook page or Twitter account, flagging anyone online or in real life with overused terms such as "racist" or "homophobe." It is no wonder everyone is so serious, if you tell a joke you never know who will be offended.

BTW, I don't have a Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter account and I have lots of time on my hands, as I am an unemployed loser. Plus I take no prescription drugs and I have a sarcastic sense of humor which I take out on my digital paper dolls of which no one looks at.

areyouguystwins

No wonder I don't have a job and barely any friends.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoman View Post
You're hanging out with the wrong type.

You want to find people who laugh more easily.
I hang out with my digital paper dolls. areyouguystwins

They make me laugh more easily than hanging out with people.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke_D View Post
Well like yesterday is a good example. I was at a hardware store and this older guy, who I assume owns the place, came over and started talking at me and telling me how his wife had passed recently and he was starting to tear up in the middle of the store and become emotional.
I felt really bad for the guy, I really did, but should you be tearing up at a total stranger in the middle of a public place?
Even in our narcissistic selfie overloaded society, I believe many people are lonely for human company. (I wish people would look at my digital paper dolls, never gonna happen) Which is why the older guy confided in you about the passing of his wife. He probably has no one else to talk to, or maybe he tells everyone who comes in the store because he likes the attention (narcissistic society). Who knows? People are weird and I swear, are getting weirder everyday.

I barely talk to strangers out of the blue. Instead I talk out loud to myself in public. I find it deters random strangers from walking up to me and telling me their life stories. I am a misanthrope who tries to find the funny side of life. It is NOT an oxymoron, I swear.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:29 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I always say they should put "chill pills" in the water instead of fluoride.

Anyhoo...I am surprised no one mentioned that perhaps, just maybe, many people are so serious these days because of the overuse of prescription drugs. Yeah, I said *it.*

There are millions of children on psychiatric drugs (ADHD etc.) and they take these drugs for years and years. Plus millions of adults are on psychiatric drugs and every other drug under the sun for restless legs, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, nerve pain, depression, anxiety, etc. Drugs have side effects, sometimes multiple side effects, which requires you to take other drugs to offset the side effects. It is a never ending cycle of messing with one's mind and body. No wonder people are so damn serious. They are spending too much time trying to live forever while drugged up to the hilt and worrying about how they are going to pay for their "healthcare" and drugs so they can yet again...live forever.

But is that really living?

Back in the 60's and 70's my grandparents and aunts and uncles would play cards once a month and have gourmet parties. They liked to drink and eat AT HOME. Try getting together like-minded people today to play cards and host monthly gourmet parties. I can tell you no one in my family has the time for such useless fun. They are too busy working (even though my grandparents worked, as did my aunts and uncles) and stopping at the grocery store/fast food place every night to pick up dinner, so they can go home and get on Facebook and take selfies to show everyone how busy they are.

It is a drug-filled narcissistic society we live in. Many people seem to be too scared to make decisions, lest they be "wrong" and NO ONE can fail in today's narcissistic society. We all must have perfect selfies and perfect lives. So we now have scared social justice warriors on anti-anxiety medication, constantly updating his/her Facebook page or Twitter account, flagging anyone online or in real life with overused terms such as "racist" or "homophobe." It is no wonder everyone is so serious, if you tell a joke you never know who will be offended.

BTW, I don't have a Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter account and I have lots of time on my hands, as I am an unemployed loser. Plus I take no prescription drugs and I have a sarcastic sense of humor which I take out on my digital paper dolls of which no one looks at.

areyouguystwins

No wonder I don't have a job and barely any friends.
Or you could become a belly dancer. We tend to live like that, get togethers and the like.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:33 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,019 times
I have a theory that people became fat and cranky when it was revealed that smoking was so dangerous. Gone was the outlet of sitting and chilling with a cig and a coffee, going outside on smoke breaks, having a cigarette after dinner. Now everyone is holding their phones like a lifeline and stuffing their faces. Don't get me wrong, I know smoking is very bad. But when you take an outlet like that out of society, there will be consequences

Old 05-04-2017, 08:22 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Do you think that reduction of stress can reduce weight, or that reduction of stress can reduce stress-reduction self-medicaton behaviors such as eating to feed feel-good hormones that can reduce stress?

I can't believe stress reduction alone could reduce weight. I can believe that the behaviors we use to self-medicate and reduce our stress (e.g. eating comfort food, drinking alcohol) cause weight increase, and that if reducing stress can reduce those behaviors and thus reduce weight by the behaviors less needed.

Is that what you meant Tamara?

Old 05-04-2017, 08:52 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Do you think that reduction of stress can reduce weight, or that reduction of stress can reduce stress-reduction self-medicaton behaviors such as eating to feed feel-good hormones that can reduce stress?

I can't believe stress reduction alone could reduce weight. I can believe that the behaviors we use to self-medicate and reduce our stress (e.g. eating comfort food, drinking alcohol) cause weight increase, and that if reducing stress can reduce those behaviors and thus reduce weight by the behaviors less needed.

Is that what you meant Tamara?
It was a number of things.

During the move out of the apartments, I saw my weight go down by about 20 lbs. Now some have said that is the stress of the move but I think it was more that I was being forced to move my dreams along instead of stagnating.

Then after the move, I faced up to a health issue I had been running away from and started treating it. Another drop in the background stress and another surprising drop in weight.

Finally, change of operations parameters probably has had its hand in my weight reduction as well. One of them is the satellite internet which forces me from committing so much time chasing the fantasy of the Net. The other is an upping in the gun carrying requirements which has reduced my alcohol drinking on many days to zero. Now that change in diet would take off some weight as well.

But there was always a question of what was keeping the weight on since I tend to eat less than other people. I really do believe it was allowing my dreams to stagnate and running from my problems.....and now I'm back in jeans that I haven't been able to fit into for ten if not 20 years.

What's next? Well, if I can ever get on a regular sleep schedule instead of catching it when I can, that could help, too!

Old 05-04-2017, 08:57 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
The only scientific connection I can perceive is reducing alcohol consumption which would reduce your caloric intake and thus cause loss of weight. Perhaps more exercise as a consequence of physically moving (even packing boxes is hard work) also burned more calories.

Stress causes me to both eat less but drink more.

Ew, it makes me shiver to imagine a drunk woman with PMS and a gun! -- Now that's the kind of person I surely wouldn't mess with!

Old 05-04-2017, 10:08 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,469,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Besides, who likes a sour puss? Who even cares about a sour puss? Let them go cry in their beer--hopefully in silence.

In the mean time I will laugh my life away! Let my tears be tears of laughter and joy, hopefully spent with like minded friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke_D View Post
Now everyone is running around and hyper or depressed or going through a crisis and belching their negativity into the world while claiming to be the victim of something.

Idk, I just crave simpler times. Maybe people could have some pride and keep it to themselves.
I get it's only natural to be drawn toward or want to be around people that are positive and upbeat. Who wouldn't rather be around someone happy than someone who is sad? But at the same time, I think we can also reach out to people who seem to be having some difficulty in their life for whatever reason, and to try to help them or at least point them in the direction of someone who can help them overcome whatever it is that is troubling them. When did people get the idea that life is all s**ts and giggles? When did it become my job to make you laugh? (I'm speaking in general here, not specifically in regard to myself or anyone here in this thread). If you need a laugh, turn on Comedy Central. The people there make damned good money to deliver laughs.... even though they're not always funny!

The problem with keeping things to ourselves is that when you don't talk about your problems, no one can help you solve them. There are lots of people whose problems get ignored to the point that they feel that no one really cares about them, that no one is willing or interested in helping them with whatever is bothering them. These are the people that we end up seeing on the TV news that go on shooting rampages or end up joining some terrorist group. Even if they don't end up hurting or killing others, they may end up taking their own life. Either outcome is very sad and unnecessary in my opinion.

I understand the need to have a positive mental attitude (one of the first things they'll tell you if you work in sales) and the need for laughter to deal with everyday stresses in our lives. But how about having some compassion and empathy for those whose lives may not be going as smoothly as yours?
Instead of turning our backs on someone who is down, why not extend a hand and try to pull the person up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
Why do people take sex so seriously? I swear people used to be alot more fun and didn't think you had to "be in love" or marry that person before you had sex. Take precautions and sex is the ultimate in fun and laughter. But nope, everything is so damn serious. "I don't have feelings toward you... it could lead to other things... blah...blah...blah."
Well, with all of the STDs out there today, you do have to be careful about who you choose to sleep with. By the same token, though, sex is a basic human need, and even someone who isn't in a committed relationship still has to fill that need. Tinder might be known as a "hookup app" to the 20-something generation, but if you're 40+, good luck finding sex there! Most of the profiles from women over 40 that I see on Tinder make a point of telling you that they're "not looking for a hookup" or one-night stand.

You're right: I don't see so many people can't separate love and sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology