Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 04:04 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
If I have any problems I'll just visualize that the tree is an alt-liberal tree!
We are actually somewhat similar.
I visualize that the tree is the current--fatally-flawed--POTUS.
And, as the Russkies clearly know, he would undoubtedly enjoy the experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 04:37 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm female and I had this happen to me once when I was in my twenties. Went river tubing and had to go before we floated. Stood in line outside a living-room sized shack forever and was a little disturbed once I got inside to see the room lined with women and a single exposed toilet in the corner.

Not exactly desirable conditions to meet my sensitivities but there was no where else to go. By the time my turn came I was desperately anxious to take it. But when I sat down and glanced around the room I froze up.

Imagine my dilemma: There were all these equally desperate women, some of them fairly dancing with anticipation, and they were all waiting for me. I was not about to give up my long-awaited seat on the throne and my sense of duty to everyone else was screaming in my ear to speed it up. Eventually I had success but it was truly an unpleasant experience.

Once I had given birth to two babies I no longer had such an intense sense of modesty and it hasn't happened since. But I think it's instinctual, isn't it? Something in the primal brain that tells us we are vulnerable when we are relieving ourselves.
Oh ... that is horrible.
Flash back to high school gym shower rooms .

Old 05-04-2017, 04:44 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Mine is also the shy bladder syndrome.... but I also can't stand to hear other people's bathroom sounds, like peeing or #2. I also can't stand the smell of other peoples bathroom business!
I have a 3-fold shy bladder problem! So.. I try to block it out while in there but can't stand public restrooms and some of the horrible things people leave in and ON the toilet. Sorry to be so graphic! But YUCK! Weak stomach here...
This is not only a male issue.
I remember on Keeping Up with the Kardashians that Kris ( the Mom) has the same issues in public bathrooms even though there are stalls ( Yes I did watch the show ).

Old 05-04-2017, 04:48 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
At least I don't feel alone.

It honestly embarrasses me (to myself obviously). I've tried closing my eyes, breathing, mental thoughts of happy places , but still it's such a stupid and frustrating thing to deal with.

For whatever reason I never thought of bringing this up to my PCP because I've always assumed it's just in my head.

....and I never caught in my title it said pre instead of pee (stupid spell check I missed).
Nononononono. Don't think of a happy place.

Think of running water! LOTS and LOTS of running water. Flushing the toilet might help.

And if that doesn't help, do go see a therapist. This is a rather minor phobia, and phobias are actually the easiest mental problem to get over - if you can just keep to the therapy.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:53 PM

Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I was thinking exactly the same thing!

I grew up with sisters only so for a long time I had no idea that boys and men had to use urinals out in the open surrounded by other guys doing the same thing (or even worse, if they had to use urinal TROUGHS!! ). That was THE most bizarre idea to me ... why on earth wouldn't they want/need privacy?

I've asked various male friends about it over the years and most seemed to think it was no big deal. At least, that's what they told me. I am wondering if some of them didn't like it either but felt it wouldn't be cool to say so.

And this is a bit off topic, but I've wondered the same thing about showers. Some of the schools I went to had separate stalls in the girls' locker room but some didn't. I almost went to high school at a place that just had an open room with faucets all around, and at the age of 13 I was almost literally sick at the idea. I mean, we (girls, at least) are usually taught to be modest, but suddenly in high school everyone just gets naked and showers together? It still seems a bit odd to me. (And I was a normal, healthy 13-year-old, so it wasn't like I was "abnormal" in some way -- but it was still a scary idea. We ended up moving so I went to a high school that had individual stalls for girls.)

I've never heard of a boys'/men's locker room that had separate stalls for showers -- maybe there ARE some, just not at any schools or gyms I went to.
Ya that shared shower thing is totally ghetto. Give people their space. Especially with girls. I think we has at least privacy curtains.

I totally don't think that it is odd to want to use the washroom in private.

I also wonder if men in general require a different level of focus to pee ( stop laughing .. I am serious). Women just need to pull their pants down and go.

Men need to ensure they are not missing the target so to speak, which must be a littler harder. I have watched the situation in action and totally wonder how odd it would be to have to do that in public ex in front of a stranger.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:16 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
I'm female, & I've never understood how guys who don't know each other can stand around all tribal-like with their junk out.

I was the only female on a job, so I had to bang on the bathroom door to make sure it was empty so that I could use the one private stall.

The communal urinal was this weird, round metal thing, with continuous flowing water spigots and a trough below...anyone using it had to stand in a circle. WTH?

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 05-04-2017 at 09:49 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 01:19 AM

1,020 posts, read 808,985 times
As a female, I still find it strange that guys are supposed to stand there right next to other guys (or sometimes sit there...I've heard military stories) & do their business. It's bizarre to me. That said, OP's problem may be psychological in nature or not. Has this always been the case for you OP? It could be a getting older thing, it could also be a muscle thing. Happened to a friend of mine in her 40's (a female), she's the least shy person I know about bodies, bodily functions, etc & we're both hikers & can pretty much do our thing anywhere without a 2nd thought, but suddenly her muscles started seizing up any time she went to pee someplace that wasn't her home. Including my house, which she'd spent tons of time in, any public bathroom, on the trail (she couldn't hike anymore), etc. It was not in her head or at least not fully, there was a physiological change. It was very frustrating & life altering for her, b/c it also didn't matter how full her bladder was. Poor thing was dying she was so full & her muscles would not release. I know she eventually got some meds for it, but not sure what. I'd talk to your dr OP, esp if this has only been going on for awhile & not your whole life.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:10 AM

2 posts, read 1,459 times
Lots of people have this problem, myself included. Don't remember when it started...probably around 14. Even using stalls is a problem because the sound is a giveaway(at least in my mind)that the person can't pee in a urinal. People may not actually be paying attention, but it's what's in the mind that causes the problem.
Have never sought therapy for this; maybe I should have.
It has been a pain in the butt!

Old 05-05-2017, 08:12 AM

676 posts, read 528,425 times
I don't have this particular issue, but I have plenty of others and so does everyone else.

When god lined everyone up and started handing out issues to each and everyone of us ..... you got one of the easiest ones to live with and manage.

As my dear departed mother used to day, 'Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.'

Old 05-05-2017, 09:17 AM

89 posts, read 84,317 times
I had this problem growing up. I'm very shy and using public restrooms triggered me bigtime. For me, I solved the issue by thinking of my biggest fear. For instance, losing your job suddenly. 100% effective in my case even when I am forced to hold it for a long time and then need to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology