Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 08:34 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Then I must be living on Mars because here it is an obesity epidemic which of course does affect all people because of the health implications which directly affect our medical system.
Oh obesity is definitely still a serious issue, but I am getting the feeling the younger generation is taking a new attitude toward fitness. I could be wrong, maybe it is just the people with whom I choose to associate myself.

My parents are/were overweight and that has always bothered me. "There's starving children in Ethopia" they would say �� as they cleaned their plates. Watching them, I'm terrified of getting fat. I feel like people treat you as less of a person when you're fat.

Last edited by brocco; 05-13-2017 at 08:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 08:41 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocratic View Post
Everywhere I go today I see people who look just terrible. It seems like they do everything they can to look unkempt, ugly, ungroomed, and generally nasty. Unlike people who have pride in their appearance, they seem to do everything they can to make themselves look terrible.

Chick on this link below for examples of what I am talking about:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mug+...w=1600&bih=770

WHY?
I think it is a lack of feeling any self-worth. It is really sad when someone pays somebody to make them look worse. And to the poster that says you have a mental problem I say you are not the person with a mental problem. Tattoos, piercings all over the place, weird hair dos, etc. are the sign of a mental problem in my opinion. And I hope the men will buy a razor and use it to get all that filthy hair off their faces. Beards have been tested to have as many germs as a toilet seat. Yuk!

Old 05-13-2017, 09:06 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocratic View Post
Everywhere I go today I see people who look just terrible. It seems like they do everything they can to look unkempt, ugly, ungroomed, and generally nasty. Unlike people who have pride in their appearance, they seem to do everything they can to make themselves look terrible.

Chick on this link below for examples of what I am talking about:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mug+...w=1600&bih=770

WHY?
Where in god's name do you live, that "everywhere" you see people who look terrible? I don't see terrible-looking people where I live. And your mug-shot example simply isn't believable. I don't believe you see people who look like that "everywhere", unless for some reason, you're fixating on homeless people. But even they aren't "everywhere"; usually just in a few neighborhoods.
Some of those photos aren't even real; they're photo-shopped. This comes across like a complete troll post. Tell us where you live, and you might gain some credibility.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:16 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree that mugshots aren't the way to take a barometer of how the public grooms themselves. Most of the people in those mugshots had clear physical deformities, so it's not really fair to chastise them about grooming and dress.

BUT. I am interested, too, in why there is an overall decline in how people groom themselves in public. Fashions have always changed, so I'm not saying there's anything wrong with clothing styles or fashions.

What strikes me is how many people are clearly communicating "I don't care one whit - not one teeny tiny little bit - what anyone thinks about me. I won't even bother to wash my hair or change out of my pajamas."

This is happening to the age group that usually cares the very most about their appearance - jr. high schoolers thru mid 20's. Again, fashions change but the effort put in by this group of people has usually been consistent. They tried VERY hard to have very straight hair, to have their skirts as short as possible but still decent, whatever the fashion was.

I'm seeing girls going to high school literally just rolled out of bed and came to school. I don't think a brush was run through their hair, and they didn't change clothes from their pajamas and are wearing flip flops or slippers. I'm not sure - at all - that their teeth are brushed. ???

And then there's this trend I've seen where young women wear a big t-shirt and ratty panties. A big ugly faded stretched out t-shirt, and faded ratty panties. Oh and flip flops. What the hell? The first time I saw it - it was a group of 4 girls maybe 17 years old. I thought it was maybe a sorority hazing thing or something. But I've seen it other places, since then. And they think nothing of bending all the way over so you have the privilege to see their ratty underwear.

There's this other thing - young women pulling their hair back with an elastic or knit headband, and then tying it up in a "messy ponytail". Um, hello, that's the look for when you're about to wash your face, not when you go out in public. ;D haha

Amazing.
The huge t-shirt and panties sounds like a variation of the oversized baby-doll blouse + panty-style "shorts" fashion that began in Korea with the "Gangnam-style" video, and swept Europe for a couple of years. I saw a German tourist in her 50's, grey hair, wearing that, accompanied by her husband, a few years ago. The t-shirt version sounds like a cheap American adaptation.

I take the pajama trend, and I've seen men wear it, too, as the early 21st Century's version of the hippie 2nd-hand clothing fad, and then in the 90's, it was pre-torn and pre-faded jeans. There will always be those who flout the norms. It's just a phase. Much ado about nothing.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:31 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
I could not care less how people look. I have my opinions about it, but I try to tend my own garden and mind my business. I like to look nice everyday and I doubt if I get a second thought from any of them.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:08 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Ughhhh. Don't remind me. I wear my shapewear approximately once or twice per year for certain events where I have to dress up a lot and I know there will be tons of pictures.

I know a woman who wears her Spanx every day.

Bless her heart!
Lol I couldn't imagine wearing Spanx every day... totally unnecessary!

Old 05-13-2017, 11:12 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Most people would look much better if they simply lost the extra weight they're carrying around.

After that, add stop smoking, doing drugs/alcohol, etc..

Old 05-13-2017, 11:29 PM

1,122 posts, read 962,275 times
Rather shallow in my opinion to make fun of people. I'm 64 yrs old and will not leave my house without makeup on but that's me. I don't judge people on looks. Not nice!

Old 05-14-2017, 03:03 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Then I must be living on Mars because here it is an obesity epidemic which of course does affect all people because of the health implications which directly affect our medical system.
An epidemic? Like Polio Like, we're going to be telling our Grandkids about it one day?

"How'd you get through it, Grandma?" "Oh, it was horrible Johnny. There was cheesecake and porkchops everywhere."

Old 05-14-2017, 06:02 AM

28 posts, read 27,755 times
I got a kick out of the posters who said I should not be concerned and mind my own business. It is my business and yours too! If people do everything they can to look just terrible and it becomes a fad that shows our society is breaking down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology