Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 04:55 AM

370 posts, read 654,360 times

Advertisements

People that don't mind their GD business...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 06:04 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I work from home and am kind of spoiled in that I'm used to having a lot of time by myself. I usually don't have neighbors around much because they all work outside of their homes. Today, however, everyone must have off because my one crabbypants neighbor is out sunbathing in his Speedo, listening to horrible music. And the other neighbor, a guy I rarely ever see other than when he mows his lawn, is ALSO outside, sunbathing right next to the fence. I feel like there's really a lot of sunbathing going on here. I was outside, planting flowers, watering,etc. and I was afraid I was going to accidentally hose somebody on either side of me today. I wanted to yell, "Hey, you know what's fun? Going inside your houses!" (I know... I sound like a jerk.)
Reminds me of our nekkid hot-tubbin' neighbor. And these are not GOOD memories.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:23 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Stop lights. There's be less road rage if we could go if nobody is around and its safe instead of making people sit for a minute because some light says I'm incapable of making my own decisions. Low speed limits... They are universally way lower than needed designed for the most careless, inattentive drivers. I wouldn't want to live in a dense metro area like Chicago where its nonstop development.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:07 AM

1,091 posts, read 579,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Stop lights. There's be less road rage if we could go if nobody is around and its safe instead of making people sit for a minute because some light says I'm incapable of making my own decisions. Low speed limits... They are universally way lower than needed designed for the most careless, inattentive drivers. I wouldn't want to live in a dense metro area like Chicago where its nonstop development.
I'm divided on this one. I do feel your frustration, as my town seems to have an absurd number of stop lights and it takes forever to make the 6-minute trek to the highway. However, I welcome any stop light that gives a green left arrow at a busy intersection.

So there's my latest addition to the list -- busy intersections with no left arrow. You can sit through three light changes and still not have an opening to turn left.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:24 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
What annoys the hell out of me is when I'm #2 in the left turn lane, the light turns green, and the car ahead of me moves about a few feet, just enough to nose into the intersection. Then traffic is heavy so they wait until the light turns red before making their turn. They have deprived me my opportunity to turn left during the same light.

When I am #1 for a left turn, when the light turns green I move as far forward as possible, just to the last point where I have to start turning my wheels. That allows the car behind me to move forward over the crosswalk and thus is legally in the intersection and can legally follow me through when the light turns red. It's only common politeness to do this.

Note that I learned in driving school to never begin turning your wheels until you are ready to begin your turn. The reason is because if you are rear ended and your wheels are turned it will throw you into the oncoming traffic. Better to have your wheels straight because that would presumably result in a lesser accident and less chance for injury.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:33 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Reminds me of our nekkid hot-tubbin' neighbor. And these are not GOOD memories.
Eek. Sometimes the thought of living out in a remote, wooded area where the only nekkid critters you see are the deer and bears sounds really great, doesn't it?!

Old 06-20-2017, 11:45 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I hope people who swim naked or use the hot tub naked at least turn off the lights at night.

I rather favor adding a Jacuzzi tub to my back yard, and I would surely follow the above advice. I'd wear swim trunks in the daytime.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:13 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
On traffic habits: People here in Colorado Springs are sometimes almost TOO courteous. Like, people who have right of way, stopping to let you go, when they shouldn't...which is confusing and dangerous. If you clearly have the right of way, then JUST. GO.

I have been trying to turn left on a solid green, got a guy who is oncoming and turning right into my target lane/street, and some distance off we have more oncoming traffic. If that right-turner gets wishy washy and maybe he's gonna go...maybe he's letting me in front of him for some dumb reason...then that leaves me all pause-and-creep and wtf and while we're trying to work out what kind of dumb dance we're doing here, meanwhile oncoming traffic is oncoming... And if the guy would just hurry up and make his stinkin' right turn already, I could have gone on through right behind him in that amount of time...

And the "wave of death." When somebody thinks they are being nice at a crosswalk or something, and stops, and waves the pedestrians through, and nobody is even thinking about other traffic in other lanes that could mow those people down.

If you have legal right of way, don't stop to be nice to people who don't, if they are clearly waiting for you to just GO already.

On the other hand. I don't mind naked people. But human bodies don't bother me. And I don't care if they are conventionally "attractive" or not. Naked humans are, in my personal eyes (I speak only for myself) beautiful, but not sexualized. Still, I would not go naked when others are around who have not consented to see nudity...that is disrespectful at the least. Not even on my own property, if it's open to the view of neighbors and daylight.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:20 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
This is an annoyance that could equally go into the Fashion forum--I've recently taken advantage of online sales to buy some new summer shirts. Shirts come, and I like them, but they're made of material so thin that I'm going to have to wear a tank or a camisole underneath to be decent in public. What good is a shirt for a hot summer day if you have to layer?

Old 06-20-2017, 01:44 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This is an annoyance that could equally go into the Fashion forum--I've recently taken advantage of online sales to buy some new summer shirts. Shirts come, and I like them, but they're made of material so thin that I'm going to have to wear a tank or a camisole underneath to be decent in public. What good is a shirt for a hot summer day if you have to layer?
I see others have noticed this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology