Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 12:33 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times

Advertisements

cremebrulee is right. Smoking near the entrance is annoying but one can always hold their breath for a short time while crossing the smoke cloud. I haven't been able to smell any smoke on my clothing after such an occurrence. I can hold my breath for a full minute and that's always been more than enough to get me through it.

Let's be blunt. If a person cares so little about themselves that they smoke tobacco, they obviously do not have any care about the regard of other people. In other words, if they don't respect their own health, why would anybody expect them to respect ours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 01:07 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Lovehound;

Let's be blunt. If a person cares so little about themselves that they smoke tobacco, they obviously do not have any care about the regard of other people. In other words, if they don't respect their own health, why would anybody expect them to respect ours?

Whoa, I respectfully disagree....I've had many friends and still do, that smoke....and they do have regard for other people...never smoke in their own homes or around others, they walk away.

Not all smokers are low life.

oh, and btw, I quit smoking several years ago....however, never smoked inside or around anyone...b/c my mother who never smoked a day in her life, had a lung disease.

I also had a girlfriend pass due to lung cancer, never smoked.

This really annoys me, to some degree, that people make up their minds about smokers like this, however, they will weekly walk into a nail salon, and get their nails done, does anyone have any idea how toxic that is?

Sometimes I don't think people think with the brains they were given.

Like I said, there are much bigger fish to fry than to working about smokers who smoke in front of doors....all the while our oceans are dying due to toxic wastes.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:50 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I can't even walk by a nail salon without getting a headache.

I'm a smoker and I hate my habit. Talk about annoyances you hate, I HATE my habit. I am a struggling addict. "Why don't you just quit then?" Oh, don't even, unless you have been addicted to nicotine yourself. I have quit, and unquit, and quit, and unquit. It is like a demon that lives in my brain for life and will never be evicted even if I manage to quit for good. And I will. But not today.

I am very sensitive to other people and have no desire to be around anybody who could be bothered by my smoke. I never smoke inside even if I can, I will go way out of my way to find a "designated" area, and if I'm in public somewhere and people are walking by, I refrain from taking a drag and I "palm" my cig and/or move it away from their path. This, after doing my best to find an out of the way, away from others, sort of place. I would not dream of making anyone walk through a cloud of smoke to get in a door.

Believe me when I say that smokers are well aware of how horrid the habit is, how awful it is for our health. Almost every smoker I know wants to quit. They are addicted. Most addicts don't really love their addictions. Even thinking too hard about not smoking, makes me want to smoke, thinking about not being ABLE to smoke, makes me feel like I'm having a panic attack. Because that is the nature of chemical compulsion, of addiction. Looking at photos of black lungs wouldn't help me. Vaping did, the last time I quit...but because I did not want to trade one addiction for another, I quit vaping too soon and ended up back with the cigs. I watched emphysema and COPD take my Grandma down. I KNOW how it is. And no, that is not enough to overwhelm the impulse. Make people have to exit an airport and go all the way back through security to get back in, just to have a smoke on a layover, and you will still see the addicts outside. Make it as horrible and miserable and inconvenient as you like, and people will still do it, if they are addicted.

My only hope is that with the greater social stigmas and information and everything, that fewer teenagers and young people will start in the first place. I think that is happening, and that is awesome. Neither of my teenage sons has any interest in it, and they're both older than I was when I started.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:53 PM

For the record, I too used to smoke tobacco, a very long time ago. I reached an age where I realized I was well enough into adulthood that I had to make a decision: I could continue on until the habit became so ingrained that I would be a smoker for the rest of my life, or there was still enough time to quit the disgusting habit and hope I hadn't permanently damaged my health. Of course I decided to quit although I had to make several or a dozen attempts before I finally succeeded, perhaps a year in all before I finally put down the habit. That was mmm... a few decades ago. I heard that after about 20 years the mortality and illness (cancer) rates for those who have quit smoking become indistinguishable from those of non-smokers. Apparently I quit early enough that I've escaped a permanent negative impact on my health. I am lucky.

Those were different times. You could smoke practically anywhere, at work, in restaurants, probably not hospitals. Smoke was everywhere. I like to think that I was considerate of others but non-smokers complained less then, perhaps accepting that tobacco smoke was prevalent and nothing could be done. I'm the kind of person who wouldn't knowingly annoy people like smoking when they didn't want to smell tobacco smoke. I'm sure I would have asked friends if I were visiting for permission.

I'm annoyed with myself for the years I did smoke. I'm annoyed at my thoughtlessly risking my health, particularly for a habit that becomes less pleasurable as you adjust to it, for a habit that you continue because you don't feel good until you light up another cigarette.

It's a very good thing that we've passed all the laws and regulations and prohibitions against smoking in public places. I just hope that the inconvenience and cost has resulted in fewer smokers today than "back in the day."

More than the smell of the smoke, it annoys me that so many people are harming their health for such a fundamentally worthless, harmful habit as smoking tobacco.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I can't even walk by a nail salon without getting a headache.

I'm a smoker and I hate my habit. Talk about annoyances you hate, I HATE my habit. I am a struggling addict. "Why don't you just quit then?" Oh, don't even, unless you have been addicted to nicotine yourself. I have quit, and unquit, and quit, and unquit. It is like a demon that lives in my brain for life and will never be evicted even if I manage to quit for good. And I will. But not today.

I am very sensitive to other people and have no desire to be around anybody who could be bothered by my smoke. I never smoke inside even if I can, I will go way out of my way to find a "designated" area, and if I'm in public somewhere and people are walking by, I refrain from taking a drag and I "palm" my cig and/or move it away from their path. This, after doing my best to find an out of the way, away from others, sort of place. I would not dream of making anyone walk through a cloud of smoke to get in a door.

Believe me when I say that smokers are well aware of how horrid the habit is, how awful it is for our health. Almost every smoker I know wants to quit. They are addicted. Most addicts don't really love their addictions. Even thinking too hard about not smoking, makes me want to smoke, thinking about not being ABLE to smoke, makes me feel like I'm having a panic attack. Because that is the nature of chemical compulsion, of addiction. Looking at photos of black lungs wouldn't help me. Vaping did, the last time I quit...but because I did not want to trade one addiction for another, I quit vaping too soon and ended up back with the cigs. I watched emphysema and COPD take my Grandma down. I KNOW how it is. And no, that is not enough to overwhelm the impulse. Make people have to exit an airport and go all the way back through security to get back in, just to have a smoke on a layover, and you will still see the addicts outside. Make it as horrible and miserable and inconvenient as you like, and people will still do it, if they are addicted.

My only hope is that with the greater social stigmas and information and everything, that fewer teenagers and young people will start in the first place. I think that is happening, and that is awesome. Neither of my teenage sons has any interest in it, and they're both older than I was when I started.
Very nice post.....
In this day and age, believe me, I've heard many people say,
"I hate smokers"! My girlfriend thinks; to say that, about people you don't even know is cruel and shallow.

I've explained to her that for years, the media has been brainwashing people, with their bogus, "Studies Show", claims. they have actually terrified people into thinking if they breath in 2nd hand smoke they are going to get lung cancer. But they never ever report, that there are less smokers now due to their terrifying reports. Not to mention how horribly people look at smokers, like they would like to kill them. Awful.

I watched a documentary on how special interest groups, pay researchers and doctors large sums of money to put out bogus reports.

The thing is, people today obtain all their information from either the media or online news feeds and can't seem to think for themselves.

Annoyance of mine: people never stop to ponder, how many toxic chemicals there are in blacktop, natural radon which seeps in your home...there is formaldehyde in so many things in your home, carpets, cabinets, sofas, chairs. Not to mention all the chemicals in food, your water, and then you have the billions of decks, made with treated lumber that is so toxic! Yet, every time it rains, those toxins leaches into your drinking water.

and I've just begun....

Yet, if people walk past smokers, right away this horrified fear overcomes them, that they are now going to die of cancer? Good grief people wake up!!! How bout that school bus and the toxic fumes it is exhausting while your behind them, or big trucks....how bout chemical plants, how bout all the chemicals you ingest in the form of medications?

Geeze Louise, I so wish people were smarter, we haven't progressed, as a society we've regressed.

I'm happy to read you are a very concerned smoker.

btw, my sister cannot stand perfumes, they give her a headache.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-21-2017 at 08:28 AM..

Old 07-21-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
For the record, I too used to smoke tobacco, a very long time ago. I reached an age where I realized I was well enough into adulthood that I had to make a decision: I could continue on until the habit became so ingrained that I would be a smoker for the rest of my life, or there was still enough time to quit the disgusting habit and hope I hadn't permanently damaged my health. Of course I decided to quit although I had to make several or a dozen attempts before I finally succeeded, perhaps a year in all before I finally put down the habit. That was mmm... a few decades ago. I heard that after about 20 years the mortality and illness (cancer) rates for those who have quit smoking become indistinguishable from those of non-smokers. Apparently I quit early enough that I've escaped a permanent negative impact on my health. I am lucky.

Those were different times. You could smoke practically anywhere, at work, in restaurants, probably not hospitals. Smoke was everywhere. I like to think that I was considerate of others but non-smokers complained less then, perhaps accepting that tobacco smoke was prevalent and nothing could be done. I'm the kind of person who wouldn't knowingly annoy people like smoking when they didn't want to smell tobacco smoke. I'm sure I would have asked friends if I were visiting for permission.

I'm annoyed with myself for the years I did smoke. I'm annoyed at my thoughtlessly risking my health, particularly for a habit that becomes less pleasurable as you adjust to it, for a habit that you continue because you don't feel good until you light up another cigarette.

It's a very good thing that we've passed all the laws and regulations and prohibitions against smoking in public places. I just hope that the inconvenience and cost has resulted in fewer smokers today than "back in the day."

More than the smell of the smoke, it annoys me that so many people are harming their health for such a fundamentally worthless, harmful habit as smoking tobacco.
I disagree to a point.....and mind you, again I say to a point.....

The good laws they've passed are the ones that prohibits smoking inside...however, they won't stop there, they keep chipping and chipping away at the rights of others, until they get rid of smoking completely....however, no one says a damn thing about all the other things that I've mentioned above in the way of chemicals we're ingesting and breathing in.

I to, smoked once....and I will always miss smoking....always enjoyed having a cig.

however, to actually condemn everyone and say they don't care about anyone else, b/c you were that way, is wrong to say.

I cared, and so do other smokers, many of them, otherwise, they would not go outside to smoke even in their own homes....so....

and there are fewer smokers today than ever before!

It is a good thing that there are less smokers, but to take away a human beings rights to not smoke outside is wrong as well.

You have a choice, you can always walk away....and like I said before, you only smell it for a few seconds compared to all the other chemicals you ingest in your body thru breathing, eating and drinking. That is where all the cancers are coming from....

If you don't believe me, take a walk thru a children's hospital and see how many are stricken with cancers, or disease...which is not coming from smoking cigarettes.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:02 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Very nice post.....
In this day and age, believe me, I've heard many people say,
"I hate smokers"! My girlfriend thinks; to say that, about people you don't even know is cruel and shallow.

I've explained to her that for years, the media has been brainwashing people, with their bogus, "Studies Show", claims. they have actually terrified people into thinking if they breath in 2nd hand smoke they are going to get lung cancer. But they never ever report, that there are less smokers now due to their terrifying reports. Not to mention how horribly people look at smokers, like they would like to kill them. Awful.

I watched a documentary on how special interest groups, pay researchers and doctors large sums of money to put out bogus reports.

The thing is, people today obtain all their information from either the media or online news feeds and can't seem to think for themselves.

Annoyance of mine: people never stop to ponder, how many toxic chemicals there are in blacktop, natural radon which seeps in your home...there is formaldehyde in so many things in your home, carpets, cabinets, sofas, chairs. Not to mention all the chemicals in food, your water, and then you have the billions of decks, made with treated lumber that is so toxic! Yet, every time it rains, those toxins leaches into your drinking water.

and I've just begun....

Yet, if people walk past smokers, right away this horrified fear overcomes them, that they are now going to die of cancer? Good grief people wake up!!! How bout that school bus and the toxic fumes it is exhausting while your behind them, or big trucks....how bout chemical plants, how bout all the chemicals you ingest in the form of medications?

Geeze Louise, I so wish people were smarter, we haven't progressed, as a society we've regressed.

I'm happy to read you are a very concerned smoker.
The bolded...where did you (and others) learn about radon, formaldehyde, etc.?

Old 07-21-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
The bolded...where did you (and others) learn about radon, formaldehyde, etc.?
Through experience, I worked construction, highway and built homes....both.....but have been in tune with chemicals and how toxic they are to one's body ever since before I became pregnant. Even over the counter meds are toxic or can be...as well as, nail salons, hair salons, oil spills, burning homes and a certain chemical plant in DE, which had 3 toxic accidents in one year and never made the papers. (I know someone who lived there and worked there and moved back home b/c of it)

and what I meant to say about news feeds and the media, is, they push their agenda and not facts. But to delve deeper and asking questions instead of believing every thing we are told, might be a bit wiser. I have researched toxic chemicals, I have a landfill not far from me, that the community has been fighting, b/c people are becoming sick and dying.

another reason is, because I'm extremely curious...always want to know more...especially when a news station reports, "Studies Show". I want to know what studies, where were the studies performed, for how long, and who performed the studies?

years ago, as a kid, they did radon testing around here, and your home actually had to pass a radon test, before the banks would give a loan. That to me, sparked questions about radon.

Chemicals, at a very young age, I decided I wasn't going to take any medications, unless absolutely necessary, b/c chemicals are toxic to your body over time. I figured when I grew older there wouldn't be a choice...so, decided to stay off of them as long as I could and still do.

Why do you think they wear masks in nail salons....
My girlfriend was a hairdresser, she died of lung cancer, never smoked a day in her life, nor did anyone in her family. She asked me, if I might know how she happened to get lung cancer, and I suggested the perms, and the hair dyes, as some of us are more Susceptible to them than others? However, do we know? No we don't....but chemicals are horrible.

did you ever think about buying a home near a church which has a grave yard. Don't!

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-21-2017 at 08:40 AM..

Old 07-21-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
The good laws they've passed are the ones that prohibits smoking inside...however, they won't stop there, they keep chipping and chipping away at the rights of others, until they get rid of smoking completely....however, no one says a damn thing about all the other things that I've mentioned above in the way of chemicals we're ingesting and breathing in.

I to, smoked once....and I will always miss smoking....always enjoyed having a cig.
I don't think there is any need to prohibit smoking completely,* nor would I want to force that on smokers. We have already pretty much banned smoking indoors in public areas of businesses and workplaces. I think the job will be complete if we can get rid of the smoking while loitering near the entrances of such places. I don't advocate banning smoking any other places such as private homes.

People should have the right to make bad lifestyle choices as long as their decisions don't impact others.

I don't know what to say about smokers with children and the impact on their children. I'm going to just stay out of that issue.

It's some decades after I quit smoking I don't miss it at all.

* Remember the Prohibition (of alcohol) which started with one Constitutional amendment instating the prohibition, and another that repealed it. We proved that it was impractical and unsuccessful to ban alcohol. The same would apply to tobacco. The only way we can get rid of tobacco entirely is by education, to the degree that nobody picks up the dirty and harmful habit in the first place. Passing laws will not stop it, and would probably violate our Constitutional rights to freedom.

What does freedom mean anyway if you have no choices? The right to choose is inherent in the definition of freedom. Along with that comes the right to make bad lifestyle choices if that's what you want.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Lovehound I don't think there is any need to prohibit smoking completely,* nor would I want to force that on smokers. We have already pretty much banned smoking indoors in public areas of businesses and workplaces. I think the job will be complete if we can get rid of the smoking while loitering near the entrances of such places. I don't advocate banning smoking any other places such as private homes.
Totally agree

Quote:
People should have the right to make bad lifestyle choices as long as their decisions don't impact others.
Agree again

Quote:
I don't know what to say about smokers with children and the impact on their children. I'm going to just stay out of that issue.
my own personal opinion is, I wouldn't smoke around kids in the car or in my home, I'd go outside.

If I found out that I had a terminal illness, I'd smoke again....I miss smoking.

Quote:
* Remember the Prohibition (of alcohol) which started with one Constitutional amendment instating the prohibition, and another that repealed it. We proved that it was impractical and unsuccessful to ban alcohol. The same would apply to tobacco. The only way we can get rid of tobacco entirely is by education, to the degree that nobody picks up the dirty and harmful habit at all. Passing laws will not stop it, and would probably violate our Constitutional rights to freedom.
Yup and you are correct, all they did was create a lucrative business for the mafia and those who sold booze illegally, and the day of that Constitutional amendment, the underground makers of booze celebrated...and the very same thing would happen if they'd outlaw guns.

Quote:
What does freedom mean anyway if you have no choices? The right to choose is inherent in the definition of freedom.
can't give you any more reps.... wish I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology