Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:33 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,201 times

Advertisements

(1) people who smack when they eat/slurp when they drink.

(2) Don't mean to offend anyone just stating my personal observation. I've noticed that a lot of women tend to walk really heavy and stomp. Some men do if too, but I've noticed women do it a lot more especially if they're wearing flat shoes or heels. It can be pretty annoying at times. One time I thought someone fell outside of the classroom because the floor started vibrating. The door opens and this girl walks in wearing high heels and as she walks past my seat the ground literally started shaking. The mind boggling part is it's usually not overweight women. It's the thin to average sized women who walk like they're 40 feet tall and weigh 35 tons lol.

3) The people who try to sell/advertise things and jump in your way or literally shove their product in your face as you go by. That makes my blood boil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 05:27 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
I agree it's not new, but it does seem to occur much more frequently now that smartphones are so prevalent. I've had to tap my horn way more often in the last few years than I ever did before that. And people (myself included) get much more engrossed in their phones than they do in say, fiddling with the radio or some other task.
Yes, I agree with this. Not just cell phones now, though. When I see these commercials where the new car has a screen in the middle of the dash, and you can upload photos to it have a menu of songs to read and choose from, I just think WHY? Why do I need to look at photos in my car?

Old 07-25-2017, 06:41 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stygmata View Post
People in grocery stores who lack situational awareness and block the aisles as if no one else were in the store
YES!

Old 07-25-2017, 06:42 AM

1. People who find it absolutely necessary to tail gate! (happening more and more) and your doing the speed limit, if not a tad over?

2. People who take posts personal or disagree with your opinions, or mock you and others for their beliefs....so they become angry, lash back at you and are very nasty with their words? And you don't even know them....?

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-25-2017 at 06:56 AM..

Old 07-25-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
yes, i have that. I'm barefoot all the time and my feet get cold. I just stayed at a very nice hotel for a wedding and the floors were freezing cold marble. I was throwing towels down and skating around the bathroom floor from the toilet to the sink!

Center]savesavesave[/center]
lol

Old 07-25-2017, 05:11 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, I agree with this. Not just cell phones now, though. When I see these commercials where the new car has a screen in the middle of the dash, and you can upload photos to it have a menu of songs to read and choose from, I just think WHY? Why do I need to look at photos in my car?
My car is too old to have that but if you are talking about album covers that can be convenient sometime. Perhaps not wise on the road though. The main place I listen to music as at my gym while I work out and I just use voice commands to select my music. When I get my next car with built-in cellphone interface I'll use voice commands there too. Voice operated devices are much safer than ones you pick up, look at, and tap your fingers on.

I can't text worth you know what. I stick to short voiced text messages.

My phone won't play Madonna's MDNA album no matter how hard I try. That's an annoyance. The name of the album is 4 letters, and I can't find any way to make Siri understand that, nor can I pronounce mdna to Siri's satisfaction.

I wonder if I'll reach the age where my brain will be too old a model to interface with the latest smart devices...

Old 07-26-2017, 12:27 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
My phone won't play Madonna's MDNA album no matter how hard I try. That's an annoyance. The name of the album is 4 letters, and I can't find any way to make Siri understand that, nor can I pronounce mdna to Siri's satisfaction.
This reminds me of another annoyance/inconvenience, which is voice recognition technology in general. These things never understand what I am saying, unless it is a firm "Yes", "No", "Claims" or other one word response stated very forcefully when I'm navigating the customer service call maze.

Also: departments at the office who order in group lunch/catering and leave the leftovers (in large containers) in the breakroom refrigerator indefinitely. Just throw it out already. No one is going to eat that stuff, especially salad or pizza, after a day or two. I just threw away some containers yesterday (Tues) that had clearly been there untouched since Thursday.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:56 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Which reminds me, somebody ate my lunch once at work. I think it was a Lean Cuisine and when I got hungry it was gone.

On voice recognition, it's already been said but when they do that whole automated "prove who you are" thing, entering your account number and all, and then you get to the CSR who asks for all of that stuff yet again.

I'll have to track down that post and +rep it if I didn't already.

The future is supposed to be better than the past, but the fact of life is that the future isn't better, just different. Some things get better, some get worse.

I used to have the secret code to get past all the telephone company BS and directly to a CSR: just hit four zeroes. Don't try it, it doesn't work any more. My whole family worked for the telephone company at one time or another, that's how I knew the code. Inside information.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:54 AM

20,391 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Another public bathroom annoyance. I go in there (public ladies' room at work) and one of my coworkers is on the phone, while sitting on a toilet in a stall, making a doctor's appointment for her daughter. She is discussing personal health stuff about her teenage daughter in there, and I have to pee, flush, wash, during her phone call. I don't even like to do my own phone calls while going to the bathroom, let alone be heard in someone else's, let alone hear the details of her daughter's (sexual) health, just... We even have special rooms in our office where you're supposed to be able to go to take personal calls. WHY???

Old 07-27-2017, 10:39 AM

4,796 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default a poor player That struts and frets his hour upon the stool?

Perhaps she's confused the isolation of the toilet for a confessional. Perhaps she's one of those people who seem oblivious to how their conversation impacts others (one clue there - very loud conversational voice). Perhaps she wants to be noticed - which seems like a poor communications choice, given the venue, the topic & the fact that she couldn't see her audiences, as it were.

OTOH, the acoustics are bound to be impressive ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology