Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 07:35 PM

857 posts, read 959,225 times

Advertisements

Is marriage counselling a part of psychology? In any case, my wife and I argue over a lot of things (finance, kids, where to vacation, etc), last year we had a bigger dispute, and since her work benefit included a few sessions of marriage counseling, she insisted that we go see a marriage counselor.

So we went, and the counselor asked that we talked to each other, in a calm manner. And she listened on the side. Every time I tried to tell the counselor my side of the view point (as usual my wife insists on her view point), she said "don't talk to me, talk to her". I had hoped the counselor to be like a judge and can tell us from an objective perspective who should change what, but that never happened. All the counselor did was reminding us to speak in a calm voice at each other.

Seems to me that counselor is more like the referee in a boxing match.

Is that how a marriage counselor works? If so, I really don't see value in it.

Last edited by rhbj03; 05-20-2017 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: clarify
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 07:49 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Is marriage counselling a part of psychology? In any case, my wife and I argue over a lot of things (finance, kids, where to vacation, etc), last year we had a bigger dispute, and since her work benefit included a few sessions of marriage counseling, she insisted that we go see a marriage counselor.

So we went, and the counselor asked that we talked to each other, in a calm manner. And she listened on the side. Every time I tried to tell the counselor my side of the view point (as usual my wife insists on her view point), she said "don't talk to me, talk to her". I had hoped the counselor to be like a judge and can tell us from an objective perspective who should change what, but that never happened. All the counselor did was reminding us to speak in a calm voice at each other.

Is that how a marriage counselor works? If so, I really don't see value in it.
You don't see the value in it?

How do you think a boxing match would go WITHOUT a referee?

Old 05-20-2017, 08:05 PM

857 posts, read 959,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You don't see the value in it?

How do you think a boxing match would go WITHOUT a referee?
Not much value to me because we are rather sane people; while we may raise voice we don't escalate to anything beyond that (at least I don't). So, the result of that session was not any different from our bickering at home.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:12 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Not much value to me because we are rather sane people; while we may raise voice we don't escalate to anything beyond that (at least I don't). So, the result of that session was not any different from our bickering at home.
It's not whether or not you're yelling. If I wanted to, I could take out my husband verbally while barely raising my voice. It's about the attitude and intent behind the voice.

You said y'all have been arguing. One session isn't going to resolve that. It's a process.

So at first they may start with the basics ... teaching you HOW to speak to each other about your conflicts.

Part of that is shedding your disbelief and your preconceived notions about the process itself.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I think you need to attend sessions and pay attention as if your marriage depended on it, because it probably does.

I suspect the counselor wanted to hear how you normally talk to your wife.

Why not try to improve your marriage? What have you got to lose? (Your marriage.)

Old 05-20-2017, 08:31 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
she said "don't talk to me, talk to her".
Is that how a marriage counselor works?
Nope.

The whole point is to learn HOW to talk to the spouse.
What's being said is almost immaterial.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:39 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:

It's about learning HOW to fight, and how to communicate with each other. Of course they don't act as judges. Are they coming home with you so they can mediate every time an issue arises? Doesn't it make more sense for you to learn how to do it yourselves?

Old 05-21-2017, 09:24 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope.

The whole point is to learn HOW to talk to the spouse.
What's being said is almost immaterial.
On the contrary, the content of our communications with other people is what's important. (Of course an exception would be if one party is screaming at the top of his or her lungs, in which case the content pretty much gets lost.)

If what's being said is irrational and illogical, then that is VERY material. If there is no content, then there is no communication.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:05 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Wouldn't most counseling take more than one session to be beneficial? Why not go a few more times before deciding it is worthless?

Old 05-21-2017, 10:17 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
What would you learn if the marriage counselor acted as a judge? Nothing, and every future disagreement would end with no way of helping yourselves to work through it.

If you're unwilling to see the value in learning how to work through conflict, you have bigger problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology