Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 01:08 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times

Advertisements

I smile, then they probably smile and I look back down and go about my day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 07:46 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Was just wondering what everyone's (psychological) thoughts are on this. Say you are busy doing whatever, and you happen to look up from what you are doing and "catch" someone just blatantly staring you in the eye. I'm talking about in a public place, across the room or something. Do you quickly look away or stare them down (while thinking in your head "WTH are you looking at?!")? With myself, I guess it depends on what mood I'm in to tell you the truth, but it usually is a balance of them looking away or me staring right back at them until they look away. I very rarely look away initially depending on "what I am doing at the time".

Are some people just natural intimidators and try to show some type of "cryptic power" over other people?
It means they find you attractive.

Nobody stares at me.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:33 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Heh, if I'm more than about ten feet from you and you think I'm staring, I'm not. From that distance peoples faces are generally just a blob with a couple of black spots where their eyes are. Now if I put my glasses on to get a second look, I'm staring!

Last edited by DubbleT; 07-29-2019 at 10:50 AM..

Old 07-29-2019, 10:41 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
It means they find you attractive.

Nobody stares at me.
Only guys stare at me, lately (some even escalate it )

LOL!!!

Old 07-29-2019, 01:56 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Only guys stare at me, lately (some even escalate it )

LOL!!!
I don't know whether you're male or female, or how you feel about guys finding you attractive.

A LONG time ago when I was 18-19, on two separate occasions there were gay guys who showed an interest in me. I wasn't interested of course, but for a straight white redneck from Deepest Darkest Appalachia, I found that I was surprisingly non-hostile about the whole thing.

I mean... *of course* they'd find me attractive. They're only human after all.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:48 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I don't know whether you're male or female, or how you feel about guys finding you attractive.

A LONG time ago when I was 18-19, on two separate occasions there were gay guys who showed an interest in me. I wasn't interested of course, but for a straight white redneck from Deepest Darkest Appalachia, I found that I was surprisingly non-hostile about the whole thing.

I mean... *of course* they'd find me attractive. They're only human after all.
It really depends on the motive.

I've had guys stare at me for all kinds of reasons.

Some of them are because they are interested or maybe even attracted (not the worst, but no thanks).

Then there are those that are plotting something. There have been quite a few instances when I nearly got mugged among other things.

The most recent one cussed me out and got really crazy with me. Supposedly he tried to talk to me, but I ignored him. I really didn't hear him. Called me stuck up and told me to leave town (Yelling and cursing at the top of his lungs).

I of course stood up for myself and made it clear that I am not that type of guy in any stretch of the imagination. And whatever he does to me, he will regret it.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:41 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Was just wondering what everyone's (psychological) thoughts are on this. Say you are busy doing whatever, and you happen to look up from what you are doing and "catch" someone just blatantly staring you in the eye. I'm talking about in a public place, across the room or something. Do you quickly look away or stare them down (while thinking in your head "WTH are you looking at?!")? With myself, I guess it depends on what mood I'm in to tell you the truth, but it usually is a balance of them looking away or me staring right back at them until they look away. I very rarely look away initially depending on "what I am doing at the time".

Are some people just natural intimidators and try to show some type of "cryptic power" over other people?
Depends on how I feel.

Certainly I look at them to let them know that I know they are there. I am not the kind to hide.

But I might hit them with a counter stare where I lock in on them, take their stare to the back of my mind and send out a counter pulse, a FLARE to force them to break contact. I've got that power, at least at close range, to be able to do that. I guess it is sort of like being able to increase my aura at will.

You know, sort of like

https://imgur.com/N7bZ3Wu

Old 08-08-2019, 01:59 PM

343 posts, read 316,694 times
This is just related to when I catch someone staring at me in general, I never assume things like someone is plotting my death or what have you, like some other posters here have suggested. Anyway, when I catch someone staring, or I just happen to stare at a certain person or place of interest, I think there is just something that attracts my attention and makes me interested in whatever I am staring at, if for a brief amount of time.

For example I could be sitting at a park watching people go by, but then I get bored of watching them and I decide to stare up at the sky. The sky is filled with clouds and I name a couple shapes, but then I get bored. So then I decide to stare at the ground, from there I notice how the wind is blowing through the grass, maybe the grass has dew drops on them, maybe the sunlight is captured in these dew drops on tiny blades of grass in the park and it just looks so beautiful that it could be a painting or a picture and I just can't look away immediately, I have to admire it for a while..it almost becomes this meditation except there is no music playing and my eyes are open.

Keep in mind, some people are people watches and love to do the 'stare' thing just to get a freaked out reaction from random folks, because deep down it satisfies their desire for attention too. It is like a game to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology