Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 04:19 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times

Advertisements

Now that I'm in a relationship, the 15 years I spent without a significant other doesn't seem so bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 05:14 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,372 times
Definitely, considering that's how I lived the first 20 years of my life.

20 happy years too I might add.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:31 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
One thing I'm sure of, no relationship at all is preferable to a bad relationship.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Many avoid relationships out of choice and I don't see that it prevents them from leading healthy, enjoyable lives. Perhaps they see them as being potentially too difficult to pursue.
To be honest I have quite a lot of freedom being single, and I recognize that I would have to give up a lot of that freedom to become seriously involved with a "significant other." I'm retired but operate a business that places varying demands upon my time, but for the most part I do what I want all day every day. (My business involves mostly telecommuting.) I also have serious business plans for the future which may take up much of my days, but no more than most peoples' daily jobs take, probably less (even with both businesses combined, and I'm phasing out current business).

It would involve a sacrifice of time and autonomy on my part to become involved in a serious relationship, but I am willing to compromise because a good relationship has plenty of benefits to offer, enough so that I wouldn't mind paying the price. However my new business plans involve my dreams, and the price would be too steep for me to give up my dreams for a relationship. Oh hell, I can compromise.

I hope we can all agree that any serious relationship involves sacrifices and compromises. For the right woman I would be willing to give up some of my personal plans and autonomy in exchange for the rewards gained from a good romantic and sexual relationship. I think it is quite possible I may achieve that, but I'm planning my life that I could go either way.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:20 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
Yes. Not everyone is meant to be in a relationship or have sex.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Yes. Not everyone is meant to be in a relationship or have sex.
Wow! I hope that's not me!!!

BTW, sex is hereditary. The chances are that if your parents didn't have sex, probably you won't have sex either!

Old 06-06-2017, 09:51 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Wow! I hope that's not me!!!

BTW, sex is hereditary. The chances are that if your parents didn't have sex, probably you won't have sex either!
I've had sex, it's overrated. I'm not missing anything. So what's the point of your reply?

Old 06-06-2017, 10:27 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It would involve a sacrifice of time and autonomy on my part to become involved in a serious relationship, but I am willing to compromise because a good relationship has plenty of benefits to offer, enough so that I wouldn't mind paying the price. However my new business plans involve my dreams, and the price would be too steep for me to give up my dreams for a relationship. Oh hell, I can compromise.

I hope we can all agree that any serious relationship involves sacrifices and compromises. For the right woman I would be willing to give up some of my personal plans and autonomy in exchange for the rewards gained from a good romantic and sexual relationship. I think it is quite possible I may achieve that, but I'm planning my life that I could go either way.
I've seen what sacrifices people make when they enter relationships. Especially at my age (33). Which made me realize one thing: I never want a relationship for the rest of my life! I like having a social life too much to do well in a relationship. And I can't imagine meeting a woman over 30 who's the same way.

I'm currently friends with a woman. While I met her last year, in contrast with the friends (male) I've known for 17 years, she's been a good friend to me the whole time. Our greetings are "warmer" than the handshakes or bro-hugs I do with guys, but are still undoubtedly platonic. Although, our hangouts are somewhat couple-like: dance classes, hiking on a trail, movies, etc. We also attend Meetup events together. In the end, each of us gets the fresh perspective of the opposite sex, with no restrictions or obligations that a relationship enforces. Granted, there is also no sexual intimacy, but like I mentioned in my earlier post, I couldn't care less if it ever happens. In fact, I'd prefer that. She hasn't showed interest in it, either.

I thought about me and her dating, and I'm still on the fence. She's younger than me, and still likes to go out and have fun within reason. Much like I do. Which is a far cry from most women my age, whose ideas of fun consist of staying home watching Netflix, romantic dinners for two, and snooty hangouts with other couples. On the other hand, friendships and relationships are vastly different animals. So I like our friendship the way it is, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:09 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarite View Post
Does casual sex with lots of partners in your opinion help to prevent this?
Not really, rock stars get all they want but it doesn't stop them from destroying themself.
Nothing beats family.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:00 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftylot24 View Post
I think the way 'healthy' and 'normal' are used can be logical fallacies. In regards to sex and romance, people who are in their mid-30s and are currently/ never been engaged in more than 1-2 relationships or 1-2 sexual encounters can be considered 'not the norm' by a lot of people. Even people who consider themselves asexual (orientation) are often criticized by psychologists who are pro-sex with the 'normal and healthy' mantra.

The question is though, whether not partaking in both of these is really a negative thing. I've been reading about a phenomenon of incels (involuntary celibates) on Reddit and other forums where it's obvious that it's affecting these guys who are between 18-30. An extreme example you may know of is Elliot Rodger, the 23 year old rich kid who went on a mass rampage in May of 2014 due to his lack of sex and friendships.

But taking those who are content with not wanting to have sex, masturbate or be in relationships (active avoidance) and don't experience emotional distress that would cause homicidal/suicidal depressive acts, is this necessarily something to be cured?
A number of things.

First of all, in the DSM-IV-TR, practically every condition (I think pedophilia was the exception) had the clause about if it caused the holder a problem. So if it isn't a problem to "you", don't worry about it.

On the other side of the coin though, secondly, there is how we may appear to the outside world as "normal" but the world does not know what measures one might take to maintain stability.

Then, thirdly, there is what I learned, as I recall, about personalities such as the 5 stages (in one set of theories). Stage 5 is where one is concerned intimately for another where Stage 4 is where one learns to be concerned for society. Is a Stage 4 person "flawed"? Not necessarily for such a person could be a Priest or a dedicated DEA agent. They have found a walk of life that enables them to live in agreement with themselves.

Which comes down to some of us. For whatever reason, for whatever motivation, we have learned to live in agreement with ourselves. For example in my case, my sexual relationship energy is DUMPED directly into how I relate to people. Picture it like being Robin Meade everyday, all the time, ie, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI5fLtmJCu8

Long story short, it's about being the person you want to be, that you agree with....................and finding the places you can get away with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology