Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2017, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 755 times

Advertisements

I am very concerned.

When this girl was younger, she was diagnosed with leukemia. She was in and out of the hospital from age 8-15. She is all better now.

Fast forward to the present.

She is 30 years old but acts like a child. She won't go to school (has a bachelor's degree 6 years ago). Won't drive but has a license. Won't move out of parent's home. She seems to be content with attaching herself to her parents and won't do anything for herself.

Anytime she sees her 2 year old niece, she makes the niece do everything she wants. If the niece won't, the aunt goes "Well, your annoying because you won't do this with me." Once, the niece asked the aunt to dance with her and she said "You won't do what I say, I'm not going to do what you say."

I am not sure if the parents are aware of this or if they are oblivious to this.

Why does this girl act like this and how can I talk to the parents about this?

(I am the girl's sister, and it is tearing me apart. What is going to happen to my sister once our parents are gone? Is this behavior going to affect my daughter?) Please help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 12:39 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Talk to her first, if that's possible, as a courtesy. Then tell your parents. She needs therapy (and they have the legal right to push her out of her comfort zone). What you've described is real (versus the overrated TV form of) arrested development. She missed some stages in socialization, and also chemo might have messed with her brain. There too might be underlying depressive issues related to her future health and ability to have children.

Last edited by goodheathen; 06-17-2017 at 12:47 PM..

Old 06-17-2017, 01:16 PM

1,348 posts, read 792,306 times
The parents know but, they are in denial or don't feel like exerting to set the situation straight. I'm going to guess that the "girl" also knows she's operating outside the norm but she'd got people dancing to her tune. So, it's all good for her.

In other words, she is being enabled and until those enablers stop, she will keep getting them to do her bidding. That is the key, to wake-up the enablers and convince them to stop. I doubt it'll be easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology