Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 04:21 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times

Advertisements

The way I see it is if someone could have hurt me in the past and did something I would never have done to them.. then why forgive them.. I would rather erase them from my life as its too short to spend on bothering about evil and spiteful people.. Forgiveness doesnt enter my mind.. Im not bitter, they just dont matter anymore..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 05:48 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,742 times
Sometimes I don't want to forgive someone, but I'm a forgetful person. so I kind of have to unwillingly let it go -_-!!

Old 06-15-2017, 06:02 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
I don't think I've ever consciously forgiven someone. I just stop feeling a certain way over time.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:44 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,019,925 times
Not forgiving someone doesn't mean that you are festering with anger. I'm more like the OP, get mad, dwell on it, then it lessens and I eventually get over it but that doesn't mean I'm going to let the people back into my life.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:08 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,128,627 times
I wasn't aware as a retired counseling professional, and the child in a toxic family, that there was any requirement to forgive as necessity for self actualization.

I don't forgive my now dead father for his horrible behavior to me. I do understand how his own mental disorders and poor upbringing caused it, and I am actually grateful for the behaviors because they made me a better professional in counseling of humans. But I don't give him a pardon for it. He will have to deal with it his next life, and my inability to reach some kind of resolve with him about it will mean that I have to deal with it again also.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:15 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Episcopalian here. We are taught to forgive as Christ forgives us and shows us mercy. If I wasn't a Christian, however, I'd want to forgive just to avoid holding grudges and devote time to toxic emotions like revenge.
Interesting point of view. I'm an atheist, if that matters.

I don't hold grudges, at least not that I'm aware of. If someone has a pattern of inappropriate or hurtful behavior towards me, I cut off their access. Once there's no possibility of the offense being repeated, I forget about that person. The idea of seeking revenge is so tawdry and melodramatic.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:35 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Why Do We Have To "Forgive"?
Forgiveness is not only helpful to the forgiven, but to the forgiver as well. Holding on to anger, feeling hurt, not letting go of an emotional weight, makes our lives more difficult.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:51 PM

27 posts, read 30,968 times
Colossians 3:13

Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:05 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
respect others without compromising yourself...
you can be dead right.......and whats better for the greater good

we tend to bury pain fear shame guilt and it festers and manifests as something else......when its finally surfaces... we need to let this crap out ...

how long do you carry the affected emotions around of others,,,,,, why be an emotional sponge..

steer your own ship in life,,,if you wallow in the negative currents of others you will lose your own compass

yes we all get screwed and walked on in life......
but if you dont let it go....it will turn into one big ball of accumulated crap and become heavier and heavier... like a dung beetle pushing a bigger and bigger ball around..

vengeance,,,,is like a parasite it can eat you alive,,,

as a man thinketh so is he,, choose positive ,,,let the sun in,,,, look thru the windshield of life not the rearview mirror.. dont fuel your demons...

Old 06-16-2017, 03:43 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Holding a grudge, in my view, is like continuing to grieve for the dead. Both are essentially useless as far as the other person is concerned, and both are like continuing to drag a rock around tied to your waist for no good purpose.

That said, most of us feel inflated and made more important by both our grudges and our grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology