Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 07:19 PM

529 posts, read 508,211 times

Advertisements

It strikes me that our main options for living are owning or renting. I get it, I really do. But what if you dont want to do either? It seems like the remaining options are some form of homelessness. For instance,, I guess someone could live out of their car and or occasionally rent a motel room. Neither of those options are really considered normal by society, and obviously if you plan on raising a family you need stable living. Ok. But what if your single? What if you have money saved, job that pays ok with enough hours, and just hate the idea of making some landlord rich? Is it really crazy to choose partial homelessness if you can always have a place you don't mind to sleep??? Any psychology on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 10:25 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
You forgot mooching off family or hooking up with someone for a free place, both of which I'd choose over being homeless

Old 06-19-2017, 09:00 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
Is it really crazy to choose partial homelessness if you can always have a place you don't mind to sleep??? Any psychology on this?
Depends on what you mean by this--"...a place you don't mind to sleep???" Would you mind sleeping under a bridge? I would. If it meant sleeping under a bridge, and paying high rent, I'd pay the high rent.

I remember reading a blog a few years ago by a guy who lived in his van. It was fascinating. He lived in SoCal and would park his van in a parking lot at the beach. Every night. He woke up to the beach every morning. He derived income from creating some kind of electronic music on his computer.

--

Old 06-19-2017, 10:46 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
It strikes me that our main options for living are owning or renting. I get it, I really do. But what if you dont want to do either? It seems like the remaining options are some form of homelessness. For instance,, I guess someone could live out of their car and or occasionally rent a motel room. Neither of those options are really considered normal by society, and obviously if you plan on raising a family you need stable living. Ok. But what if your single? What if you have money saved, job that pays ok with enough hours, and just hate the idea of making some landlord rich? Is it really crazy to choose partial homelessness if you can always have a place you don't mind to sleep??? Any psychology on this?
Why would you assume you'd be making some landlord rich, in a rental situation? Maybe a small apt. building is providing someone with needed retirement income. Maybe the MIL unit for rent is extra income needed for a family with a member with a disability. Maybe the entire multi-unit building is rent-controlled, so the owners can't even keep up with maintenance, repairs and property taxes.

Yes, OP; it is a little crazy to prefer homelessness because of an erroneous belief that landlords would be getting rich off you and their tenants. Your odd mindset is working against you.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:40 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,864 times
What's wrong with owning a house? I can understand not wanting to get a McMansion, but there is affordable housing out there.

The issue with homelessness, for me, would be cleanliness and diet. Homeless living offers very little of either.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
OP, are you going to grow and slaughter all of your own food because you don't want to make farmers, grocers, and food companies rich?

Old 06-19-2017, 08:20 PM

529 posts, read 508,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
OP, are you going to grow and slaughter all of your own food because you don't want to make farmers, grocers, and food companies rich?
I don't mind making food companies or wtv rich because I LOVE FOOD. I don't give a toss about loving where I live. As long as it's not infested and reasonably clean with the basics, I don't care. I use to live in a nice home with my mother. Before that we lived in different appartments even moving to different cities. After I moved out I lived in different places for 7 years never feeling any loyalty or wtv to the "space". NVM. I can tell you think I'm crazy. Lol.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:27 PM

550 posts, read 1,487,421 times
I thought about selling my house and all my stuff except for a tent and what would fit in a duffel bag in my trunk and pitching my tent in the woods most nights. I didn't, but it was pretty tempting. I think my life had just gotten overwhelming and I was tired of owning things because I had enough stress to deal with at work without having to fix things and store things and maintain things all the time. In the end, I quit my job, sold the house, put all my things in storage for a year and basically wandered around the country, visiting people I hadn't seen in a long time, going places I'd always wanted to go, lingering in places that felt good, and after about 11 months of that my husband and I got jobs and settled down (kind of) again.

Not having an address complicates a lot of things, unfortunately. Like, insurance companies, banks, and the DMV absolutely cannot accept that fact that you don't have a physical address. We used my in-laws address as our legal address.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
I don't mind making food companies or wtv rich because I LOVE FOOD. I don't give a toss about loving where I live. As long as it's not infested and reasonably clean with the basics, I don't care. I use to live in a nice home with my mother. Before that we lived in different appartments even moving to different cities. After I moved out I lived in different places for 7 years never feeling any loyalty or wtv to the "space". NVM. I can tell you think I'm crazy. Lol.
No, you aren't crazy. I don't believe your reasoning is sound. You're going to negatively affect your life in an effort to "stick it" to a potential landlord. I'm a minimalist and I don't own much. I do that because it's what I want. I don't do it in reaction to some false narrative I'm telling myself.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:00 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
I can see the attraction of not having ties and obligations. It's a really attractive thought...

But I THINK it's probably a false narrative...because you're giving up the ties at the cost of convenience and practicality.

Like...OK, you give up a place of residence. You've also given up dependable hot showers. You've given up easily heating and cooling your food. These things aren't impossible to get around, but it makes life a little harder. So, it's a trade-off for one kind of hardship over another.

At least...that's how it seems it would be, to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology