Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 06:35 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettheRightOneIn View Post
I take stimulants in the day and Clonopin at night and forgot I needed to refill the Clons and my jaw and upper/lower mouth feels locked and is hurting like a migraine would. I do not know if I can sleep like this. My whole body is stiff and aches. Motrin may help.
THere is nothing you can put in your body that can solve that problem.
Some doctors have no conscience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 05:53 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,045 times
I am prescribed Klonopin for sleep, but I take it sparingly because benzos are addicting and they tend not to do anything for me after a bit. I am trying to eat a healthy diet and get exercise during the day. I am still really tired when I wake up, but at least I am not waking up every hour on the hour like I used to.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:20 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
I normally take Lunesta for sleep, but I get scared of taking it every single night, so occasionally take a klonopin instead. I don't know which is worse, but I can't sleep without something.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:40 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Remeron (mirtazapine) is an evil, evil drug. Side effects listed are increased appetite and weight gain but, if anything, those effects are severely downplayed. I gained a stone and a half in a month on that bloody drug, weight I'm still trying to get off. I would take it before bed and eat everything in reach before falling asleep and would wake it and get right back to it since there was still some bioavailability yet to metabolise.

In answer to the OP: I've taken Klonopin for years for insomnia and sleep throughout the night and wake without any hangover. I have Fibromayalgia and take methocarbamol for the fasciculations (muscle twitches) that are part of fibro. Nice thing is it's not a narcotic and it adds to my sleep (life-long insomniac).

Hell - the only good part about getting sick with Fibro and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is the amount of meds I'm on. Unless I'm in a fatigue attack I sleep through the night and feel bloody super when I wake up. I'f I'm in an attack I can't get enough sleep and still feel like I didn't get any at all.

Needless to say I'm a proponent of better living through chemistry.
I was told I had Fibro in 1999 which I was still searching for thyroid support. Endo felt around my neck and said thyroid was fine but you have FM...then tried to sell me on his drug protocol. I passed on them and about ran out of his office.

I avoid drugs and work with all supplements. I did finally get on desiccated thyroid in 2002 and 10 yrs of depression lifted.

There are links about the Fibro and thyroid connection.

I have never sought out drugs for Fibro, but supplements YES and support groups. My body is not a lab for the chemistry world.

This country sure has a love affair with their drugs. And me my love affair is the supplements to help support aging body.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:00 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
I was prescribed the benzodiazapine Klonopin (the generic is Clonazepam) for several months. At the time it was for insomnia and sleep disorder that gave me violent muscle spasms called hypnagogic jerks.

It worked very well at relaxing me. Previously the spasms would last 1-2 hours before I fell asleep, with Klonopin, I could fall asleep in under an hour usually.

After taking it every day for a month, I started to have memory issues. After a couple months, I started to realize my work was being negatively affected. Moods swings, irrational behavior, even blackouts started to occur. So I decided to stop abruptly. Because I had quit my job recently I no longer had insurance, so I waited to just see what would happen.

Benzodiazapine withdrawal is considered to be a medical emergency because a person can have a fatal seizure. A medically supervised taper of the drug is necessary to safely come off benzos, even so, it's going to be a difficult process. After a day or two I began to experience convulsions, extreme insomnia, and fasciculations. (random firing of an area of a muscle).

The first two weeks I slept in increments of a few minutes at a time. My sheets were soaked through with sweat. Due to lack of sleep, I barely left my bed for days, other than to get up to eat, drink water, and go to the restroom. I couldn't do anything else. I think it was a month before I could try to get my life back together again, but my memory of that period is a little fuzzy.

While benzos do provide relief at first, whatever symptoms you had before will come back several times stronger when you stop. There are some people who believe that they do permanent neurological damage. I feel like I'm not the same person I was before starting them. Depression and anhedonia is always with me.

Even though you may feel in control and able to handle it all, just be aware that taking a benzo for months or years at a time can lead to physical addiction. It's not a matter of will power, it's that they change your brain chemistry so much that it may never be the same.
This is a great post. One of the worst weeks of my life was the week after I stopped taking Klonopin in early 2009. I've been self-medicating pretty heavily with alcohol ever since, but I consider it the lesser of two evils. I could be wrong on that.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:27 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
I've been taking a low dose of Klonopin for ten years for panic disorder (0.5 mg 2x day)
Works great
Gave me my life back

It should be used under the guidance of a psychiatrist IMO
Not a general practitioner
Ditto for coming off of it

I've never ramped up my dosage, never got addicted
Never had mood swings or blackouts
Kept working and living

Old 07-04-2017, 03:02 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
OP, you could ask your doctor for Amitriptyline which is also called Elavil.

It is currently used for insomnia. Taken an hour or two before bedtime, it makes one sleepy.

It was first used as an old-fashioned antidepressant, but currently doctors prescribe it for insomnia.

(because there are other antidepressants used for depression these days)

It does work, there are few side effects, and it is non-addicting and not dangerous.

(works better than Trazodone which also is an old-fashioned antidepressant which is also sometimes currently used for insomnia, rather than depression)

Old 07-04-2017, 08:48 PM

47 posts, read 42,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
If you run out of klonopin, take Benadryl. I'm surprised you take klonopin to sleep since it's got a way long half life. You should be taking Xanax.
I drank Nyquil or it was some kind of thera flu. It was dark when I reach in and drank it. It made me disoriented and my entire body felt heavy the next day. I stay active and work hard throughout the day. I was jinxed by writing this post. The Klonopin is no longer putting me to sleep. The Klonopin does wonders for my muscles and sciatica after a long active day. I bet they will not give both to take. The script is to take the klonopin 2x daily and night with energizers. I only take at night. I do not abuse.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
THere is nothing you can put in your body that can solve that problem.
Some doctors have no conscience.
He is a fantastic guy.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
This is a great post. One of the worst weeks of my life was the week after I stopped taking Klonopin in early 2009. I've been self-medicating pretty heavily with alcohol ever since, but I consider it the lesser of two evils. I could be wrong on that.
Your body may need a low dose. Drinking so heavily is not good medicine. Please take care and find an alternative. Drinking too much makes me depressive all day after. That is a terrible feeling. I only stick to a beer here or there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology