Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 01:15 AM

3,069 posts, read 1,680,587 times

Advertisements

Oh, man, do I have pet peeves about people, and there are certainly personality traits I can't stand. But what you describe on here does not particularly bother me.

Bars are social getaways for many. Yes, they spend more money to drink at a bar than at home but there is comfort for them in sharing their time with people they know, bitching about life or trying to solve the world's problems. It's less about the drinks than it is about sharing that time with familiar faces there. My father used to hop onto the tractor and ride to the tavern down the road to have a glass of wine with people he knew there, although he had wine at home.

This is NOT a "small town" phenomenon, though - not by a long shot. Same thing occurs in big city bars, maybe even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 06:56 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
It's just habit and routine. People get into habits or routines when young which give them pleasure and keep doing those routines until something acts upon them to get them to stop. It's a basic law of nature that an object in motion will stay in motion.. that it takes energy and effort to make any change, whether it be physical or mental, and change can require discomfort.

I have people at work who are envious of me because I don't go to bars, claiming they've spend multiple tens of thousands over the years there. I have hobbies which are inexpensive. Lucky me. I'm also into personal development though so I'm making changes necessary to make myself "better" than I was the day before. While other people at work get this energy filled sense of anticipation about getting off at 6AM the monday morning after a weekend working and going to drink a few at the bar together, not me. I'm going home to sleep and go about my day doing things I enjoy, which happen to cost less money as well.

I'm introverted so it's no surprise I'd be less likely to enjoy being around big packs of loud people, though I've learned to accept others without judgment or irritation, and just tune them out akin to them being background noise. No point in being upset at things you can't change.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:11 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,730 times
I'll admit it. I'm judgmental.

I told my kids growing up, "You can either be a credit to society or a drain on society. It's your choice."

At one end of the spectrum, you have my friend Jimmy. Jimmy raises money for several non-profit organizations and donates his time building houses for Habitat for Humanity. He is a pleasant upbeat guy at work. He is a hard-working taxpayer.

At the other end, you have your typical meth addict on welfare. Straining the medical establishment, the legal establishment, not paying taxes and creating misery for their friends and family.

Your barfly neighbors probably aren't harming anyone, but they probably aren't helping anyone either. I think if they spent their time doing something positive, they wouldn't be as unhappy and they wouldn't have to drown their sorrows.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:03 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Oh, man, do I have pet peeves about people, and there are certainly personality traits I can't stand. But what you describe on here does not particularly bother me.

Bars are social getaways for many. Yes, they spend more money to drink at a bar than at home but there is comfort for them in sharing their time with people they know, bitching about life or trying to solve the world's problems. It's less about the drinks than it is about sharing that time with familiar faces there. My father used to hop onto the tractor and ride to the tavern down the road to have a glass of wine with people he knew there, although he had wine at home.

This is NOT a "small town" phenomenon, though - not by a long shot. Same thing occurs in big city bars, maybe even worse.
Even I am up for the occasional gabfest in a restaurant or bar; that's normal socializing, in moderation, although I prefer to pursue group hobbies and activities. I'm talking every. single. day. As in, no other life. Even if you're alcoholic, can't you drink at home (for a lot less money)? And even if you can't bear your own company for five minutes, can't you invite your drinking friends over to your place and crack open a case? Again, for a lot less money. I don't get the making some bar or restaurant rich; maybe it's a "see and be seen" thing?

Old 06-26-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
You implicate yourself by starting this thread.
But you are open minded and unafraid of discovering your own truth about you.

I would say people crave fellowship so they congregate.
Lets assume for a minute you are right, they're all on welfare or entitlements or whatever, so what.?
If they're all whining about having no money, so what.
Everyone reserves the right to be wrong.
"So what" is that if they waste their discretionary income on (the usual list) and then require Medicaid, food stamps, subsidized housing, etc., that's a drain on the taxpayer. Then there's the bonding chatter (common enemy), hating on the "rich people" who are paying their bills. Also, there's just the general lack of self-awareness and imagination that bug me. Maybe I'm bitter than I'm not invited. :P

Old 06-26-2017, 05:17 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"So what" is that if they waste their discretionary income on (the usual list) and then require Medicaid, food stamps, subsidized housing, etc., that's a drain on the taxpayer. Then there's the bonding chatter (common enemy), hating on the "rich people" who are paying their bills. Also, there's just the general lack of self-awareness and imagination that bug me. Maybe I'm bitter than I'm not invited. :P
How do you know all this horribility is going on if you're not hanging out at the same bar?

Last edited by jay5835; 06-26-2017 at 05:34 PM..

Old 06-26-2017, 06:59 PM

Like I said: small town, made smaller by social media. I don't hang out in bars, as a rule, or coffee shops.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:23 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
A poster above said they are judgmental. I know I was for many yrs and I've worked on that one a lot and patience too...learned how it is to walk in other's shoes when the occasion arises. I have strong opinions and some things I won't bend on but am always open to be surprised.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:26 AM

I don't view that as a negative or something to suppress or change about myself. "Judgment" is a good thing, and I think I have good judgment. My opinions are valid; if no one wants to listen, that's fine, but I'm entitled to them. Some people just don't have the good sense that God gave geese, and there's no sugar-coating that. Maybe that's another thread for another day...

Old 06-27-2017, 09:42 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Sure, you're entitled to your opinions, as long as you realize that "feeling superior" is not really something to be proud of. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, you're doing the exact same thing you're dogging these people for ... sitting here stereotyping, judging them and criticizing them without really knowing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology