Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 04:31 PM

823 posts, read 1,974,363 times

Advertisements

A woman went to the funeral of a relative. There she saw a man she had not seen ever before, but she fell instantly in love with him. Before she could talk to him, he left. She kept thinking how she could see him again. What do you think she came up with? Think a little bit and then scroll down for the answer.

Ok, the answer is: she killed one of her relatives. She figured out that man was connected somehow to her family, that's why he attented the funeral of a relative, so if another relative died, chances are he would get the news and show up at the funeral, so she could see him again. I read this around 10 yars ago on an article about psychopathy, Apparently they conducted this test in several prisons in the US (you can google for the details if you are interested) , and a high number of psychopathic inmates got the right answer. So psychopathic people would use logic in ways normal people would not.

After the Manchester terrorist attack during the Ariana Grande concert they did a homage concert with lots of big names, Coldplay, Madonna, Justin Bieber, etc.

And guess what. I swear I am not a psychopath, but the article popped up in my head: change the woman for an obsessed fan, change the man in the funeral for a celebrity (ok, Justin Bieber), and change killing a relative for pulling a massive terrorist attack during a concert. Et voilá, in a few days, this person has his or her favorite idol in his or her town doing another homage concert.

I have mixed feelings about having this idea myself . First of all, I am happy cos I am very into psychology, I am fascinated about how the mind works, so knowing the ins and outs of the mind is something we all should aspire to reach, it is a very noble and positive goal. We can´t fight evil if we don´t understand evil.

But at the same time...it's kinda creepy having those types of thoughts. It makes me feel sad cos life in general is getting very gloomy with all this paranoia around, and financial meltdown, and terrorism and Trump and walls and stuff, so I worry if I am internalizing this negative stuff too much and there is no turning back, no way back to to the age of innocence....just violence and fear in the horizon. And it makes me feel depressed.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 07:02 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
It's irrational to even fall "in love" with someone you've never even talked too.. that's a mental fantasy and anyone over the age of 30 still getting crushes in this manner is doing it wrong. Talk to them before the funeral is over and get to know them... don't go assuming things about people based on a mental fantasy.. that's how stalkers end up being stalkers and people end up going neurotic.

Either find the truth about the person or set them free and think about something else. Obsessing over people is such a foreign concept to me.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:25 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times
This "test" is as old as dirt; it's more of a humorous logic puzzle. It can't possibly be a part of the official DSM-V diagnosis techniques. And if it is, then I weep for our mental healthcare system.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 06-26-2017 at 07:44 AM..

Old 06-26-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
This "test" is as old as dirt; it's more of a humorous logic puzzle. It can't possibly be a part of the official DSM-V diagnosis techniques. And if it is, then I weep for our mental healthcare system.

They used it to investigate the different thinking patterns of people who have psychopathy versus people who has not. Obviously when something reaches the internet it loses its surprise factor, and I guess they don´t use it anymore, but it's a good example of valid and creative ways to investigate.

The DSM-V is not really anything to follow...just a few years ago regarded homosexuality as a disease, and now considers "caffeine withdrawal" a mental disorder.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
It's irrational to even fall "in love" with someone you've never even talked too.. that's a mental fantasy and anyone over the age of 30 still getting crushes in this manner is doing it wrong. Talk to them before the funeral is over and get to know them... don't go assuming things about people based on a mental fantasy.. that's how stalkers end up being stalkers and people end up going neurotic.

Either find the truth about the person or set them free and think about something else. Obsessing over people is such a foreign concept to me.

The whole scenario is made up...it was just a hypothetical problem they created to find any patterns in the answers.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:47 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,851 times
So the conclusion is psychopaths are basically dump or extreme..

Old 06-28-2017, 02:39 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
Ok, the answer is: she killed one of her relatives. She figured out that man was connected somehow to her family, that's why he attented the funeral of a relative, so if another relative died, chances are he would get the news and show up at the funeral, so she could see him again. I read this around 10 yars ago on an article about psychopathy, Apparently they conducted this test in several prisons in the US (you can google for the details if you are interested) , and a high number of psychopathic inmates got the right answer. So psychopathic people would use logic in ways normal people would not.
They weren't using logic. They just had a different, darker sense of humor than most of us. You and I would see psychological tests as something to take seriously, particularly if we've been diagnosed as having a mental illness as serious as psychopathy. You and I would want to assist the psychologist, or at least not embarrass ourselves. Therefore you and I would probably assume the girl went the logical route that avoided self-destruction of simply asking her relatives if they knew her crush.

To a psychopath though, why would they care about embarrassment or helping the psychologist? They would, however, see an opportunity to play a joke, so they'd probably be more likely than most to choose the funniest answer of her killing a relative to see her crush again, I'd suspect.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:33 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
You can still go ahead and weep for the mental healthcare system. The insurance companies are running it.

I avoid negative brooding like the plague - because it is.

Do I need a test to tell me if I'm a psychopath or not? I doubt it. There are just too many things I'm incapable of doing that I know a psychopath wouldn't have a problem with. Actually, I think if a person is worried about being a psychopath they probably aren't one.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:20 PM

529 posts, read 508,085 times
Think about the law. Why do you follow the laws dictated to you by society? Either you believe in the morals behind them, believe in law for law sake, believe it's needed to fufillment your goals or those you care about, or only follow them to not get in trouble. The psycopath lot tend to o ky follow the law to not get in trouble with nothing else standing in their way of breaking it. If that ain't you, ya probably ain't a psychopath.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:32 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,020,456 times
Shouldn't the question be about what you would do to find the person? I don't see how guessing what she would do makes me a psycho, especially when you have a title that relates to being a psycho. I obviously went to an extreme conclusion bc of the way it was presented. However, if you framed it as "what's the best way to find the person?" I'd have said "ask someone who he was", "try to find him on FB using possible family members friends list" certainly not kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology