Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 04:37 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,322,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
That proves me right.
Sick minds fight to remain sick and it despises a message of hope because it believes its existence is threatened.

a healthy mind responds with "tell me more".
Your own thoughts should frighten you. I've been there but I actually wanted to get well.
Then why, if the healthy mind responds with "tell me more," is your first response to shut other posters down? You ask no questions, nor do you offer any encouragement or invite discussion.

By your own standards, yours is not at all a healthy mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 09:49 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,801,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have situational depression triggered by being surrounded by jerks from whom I am unable to escape.
I have experienced situational depression as well due to the way people have treated me and not getting a job so the only thing will reduce it is getting a job which has proven itself to be impossible. Even then I still have my past so getting a job just makes it more manageable so it will be more dormant but I'm being realistic when I say it will likely still exist in the back of my mind. If you don't have it too long then you may recover but if you've had it as long as I've had it then recovery is less likely. However as I said it does get more manageable once you fix the primary situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Also doesn't help that as you get worse the exact opposite happens that you need. Everyone disowns you and gets as far away from you as possible.
Same. The more discouraged I get about a job the further away it seems to get. Of course people will tell you then don't get discouraged and move on but it just doesn't work like that.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:41 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,056,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I have experienced situational depression as well due to the way people have treated me and not getting a job so the only thing will reduce it is getting a job which has proven itself to be impossible....

Same. The more discouraged I get about a job the further away it seems to get. Of course people will tell you then don't get discouraged and move on but it just doesn't work like that.
That's a good example of situational depression, being unemployed and unable to get a job due to a poor job market.

No amount of counseling is going to help that. The only solution is to succeed in getting a job.

The only good part is that you will probably find a job some day, and when you get the job the depression will go away.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:13 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,801,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

No amount of counseling is going to help that. The only solution is to succeed in getting a job.

The only good part is that you will probably find a job some day, and when you get the job the depression will go away.

I know and that's how you know the disability service is unhelpful because when I wasn't succeeding with their (**** poor might I add) help they insisted I seek counseling again which I did to appease them and surprise surprise it's not working so I don't know why I go. I guess I just hope that my therapist can think of something that will get me a job but it hasn't happened.

The problem is I have been looking for so long that it becomes more and more apparent to me that I'm unemployable to society. Places like employment agencies are not much help. They act like I'm not trying hard enough but they don't realize if anything I try too hard. It's sad because I don't have much in the way of a physical disability except for my plantar fasciitis. It's just mainly that I'm not personable/likable to any employers that I apply for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology