Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 12:32 PM

5,489 posts, read 3,929,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I read the first line and stopped there.
"Nothing about depression is easy."

Yes it is,
1.the cause is obvious,
2.the solution is simple and
3.freedom is guaranteed.

People will argue with the prospect that they can get free, which proves premise #1.
They will refuse to embrace the solution and deny themselves promise #3.

The answer isn't tried and found wanting.
Its found discomforting and not tried.
Personally, I get a little more depressed every time I read one of your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 09:33 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,686 times
I use to have coma like depressions but it went away almost six years ago.I believe it's negative spirits that hang around a person like a haunting but I'm spiritual,various burdens and our meaningless existences in the west.

People in tribal cultures don't get clinical depression,I've read many studies on it and I think they are healthier societies generally,no anorexia,no bulimia,no self harmers,no chronic anxiety,almost no suicide compared to our epidemic suicide levels etc etc.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:22 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey27520 View Post
IMO, the solution isn't always obvious when you struggle with depression. It rears it's head in so many different ways. One might feel angry, paranoid, or distant, which aren't exactly obvious signs of depression to the person struggling. Freedom isn't always guaranteed...it can take years of different meds and counseling to find freedom from chronic depression.
Its not obvious to those with depression, its apparent to those who have gotten free.
It depends on who is making the promise, doctors and science have no answer.
A sick mind fights to remain sick, otherwise it wouldn't be sick.
THere is no chemical that can touch the will.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Sometimes I feel like "life" means Living In Fear Everyday. It can be just minor fears or annoyances
And FEAR , False Events Appearing Real.
Its a state of being for depressives, not fear of specific things, its a subconscious darkness.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Personally, I get a little more depressed every time I read one of your posts.
That proves me right.
Sick minds fight to remain sick and it despises a message of hope because it believes its existence is threatened.

a healthy mind responds with "tell me more".
Your own thoughts should frighten you. I've been there but I actually wanted to get well.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notrhj View Post

Well gee all I have to do is embrace the wonder of sorrow, piece of cake.
Let me know how your solution works out.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have situational depression triggered by being surrounded by jerks from whom I am unable to escape.
When I suffered depression my 'trigger' was life.
I used to see 8 jerks in a row, I was number 10 but lied to myself, it made me "feel" better.
My "feelings" nearly killed me.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
It is so hard to get out of because most have no way of solving the root cause without help from others. You can eat right, exercise, meditate, take meds, do therapy etc.... and feel better temporarily, but unless you can solve the root cause, nothing will work long term and you only end up getting worse over time.

until eventually you just accept your fate and check out.
Thats one path some people take.

I never found diet, exercise , meditation, therapy or meds worked for beans.
It does get worse, its progressive, depression is just a symptom of an underlying cause.
That so many posters here argue against any answer, before they even know what it might be, should give them pause to suspect their own thinking as a root cause. But they don't even notice.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
--HERBERT SPENCER

Old 07-09-2017, 03:47 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
I faced and defeated major depressive disorder. It was partly caused by external events and partly by a natural tendency. I can't envision anybody getting over MDD without at least counseling and possibly including drug therapy. That is what I recommend for anybody who has major depression.

Note that IMO antidepressant drugs affect different people differently, and I recommend anybody undergoing drug therapy should consider changing drugs after perhaps 3 months and no improvement. In other words different people have different DNA, different neurotransmitter activity, and experience different effects from drug treatment. In other words, the drug has to match the patient to get the desired results.

It was one of the worst periods of my life. I'm fine now.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:49 PM

15 posts, read 17,151 times
A lot of people have depression also, a LOT more than we think. It's because many people who are depressed assume that's just the natural state. I was depressed for years before I even realized it, I thought that's just how life was. If you think you have depression you should check your symptoms.

The 3 Minute Quiz For Clinical Depression - Mindcology
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology