Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 06:00 AM

285 posts, read 224,940 times

Advertisements

Something I've picked up on as I've gotten older is that most people don't really care for each other. People spend an awful lot of time complaining about other people. I've also encountered a lot of two-faced people, particularly in work settings. For the most part, I believe that people just put up with each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 07:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We can pick our friends, we cannot pick who we work with. I have had a few friends (lasting) that were co-workers, many years ago, in my current job of 8 years so far none that I would want to hang out with outside of the office, even for lunch. We get along fine, however, but they are strictly working relationships.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:11 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sol View Post
Something I've picked up on as I've gotten older is that most people don't really care for each other. People spend an awful lot of time complaining about other people. I've also encountered a lot of two-faced people, particularly in work settings. For the most part, I believe that people just put up with each other.
I agree, that's why you have to do your part in life regardless of where you at, work, home, or traveling. Nowadays, is hard to find someone who truly care about your well being. Most people do something for you because there's something for them to gain. Of course, I'm not saying there's no good Samaritan (just very few), and part of the reason I think so few of them exist because the way how the society show no appreciation towards their goodwill.

You have to be independence and don't ever count on others to help you with anything. When you have this kind of mindset, you are sure to overcome any obstacles in life. If people help you, great, and remember the one who help you when you needed the most. As for the people who talk behind you and wish you the worst in life, ignore them and keep moving with your life.

If you see a crazy person on the street, would you try to reason with them? Of course not, you would simply avoid them and move on with where you have to go. So, the same should apply when dealing with people with two face. Acknowledge it, and be on the lookout, and keep moving.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:58 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
If you spend 8 hours a day with people, they're bound to annoy you. Everyone has habits and idiosyncrasies that are completely normal to them but grates on your nerves. So yes, in a way, we really do tolerate people.

But nothing is perfect. We may have to tolerate those people, but would you cut them off completely and be lonely? There are also enjoyable moments with the same people.

Same with your family members. We see all sides, good and bad.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:05 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I genuinely like most people and assume the best of practically everyone.

I sometimes think though, if I didn't have so much social interaction in person with people of my choosing, I might have less faith and goodwill for people in general. Especially if most of my interaction was via the internet. People say things online that they would never say in person.

I know people who take in too much social media and news, and not enough friendly interaction in real life, who will often say they "hate people" or that "people suck"...or they work jobs where they interact with unhappy people. I can't agree with them because I know too many great people that I really like.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:06 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
I would not say that is true. Rather, I would say that some people do not like anyone. I am with my co-workers 8 hours a day and none of them annoy me. I have a high tolerance for people's quirks.

That said, I do not like whiners, bigots, nihilists or anti-intellectuals. But they are rare in my circles. They seem to be mostly online.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:56 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Yeah, my list of people that I can tolerate in extended conversation is very few. I typically can last 3-5 minutes in convos with strangers until i just want them to shut the up. I'm impressed by very few people these days.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:44 PM

285 posts, read 224,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
If you spend 8 hours a day with people, they're bound to annoy you. Everyone has habits and idiosyncrasies that are completely normal to them but grates on your nerves. So yes, in a way, we really do tolerate people.

But nothing is perfect. We may have to tolerate those people, but would you cut them off completely and be lonely? There are also enjoyable moments with the same people.
Enjoyable moments? Not at a job. I'd be perfectly happy to never deal with coworkers again.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:45 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
I don't actively dislike anyone who I work with, but I just don't go out of my way to socialize with the majority of them about non work-related things. I did have an amusing conversation today with a coworker who I do enjoy speaking to about non work-related things, so that was nice. I don't fully trust any of them though.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:29 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
I agree, that's why you have to do your part in life regardless of where you at, work, home, or traveling. Nowadays, is hard to find someone who truly care about your well being. Most people do something for you because there's something for them to gain. Of course, I'm not saying there's no good Samaritan (just very few), and part of the reason I think so few of them exist because the way how the society show no appreciation towards their goodwill.

You have to be independence and don't ever count on others to help you with anything. When you have this kind of mindset, you are sure to overcome any obstacles in life. If people help you, great, and remember the one who help you when you needed the most. As for the people who talk behind you and wish you the worst in life, ignore them and keep moving with your life.

If you see a crazy person on the street, would you try to reason with them? Of course not, you would simply avoid them and move on with where you have to go. So, the same should apply when dealing with people with two face. Acknowledge it, and be on the lookout, and keep moving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Yeah, my list of people that I can tolerate in extended conversation is very few. I typically can last 3-5 minutes in convos with strangers until i just want them to shut the up. I'm impressed by very few people these days.
I am thankful I don't live in you guys reality. What people chose to believe about others is how they see others. It becomes one's subjective reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology