Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:26 AM

1,089 posts, read 579,288 times

Advertisements

One of the big life lessons I've learned is that what we choose to focus on has a huge impact in how we feel. And yet, knowing this, I still have situations where I automatically focus on the negatives.

Case in point, at my job I've been overseeing a project where the bulk of the actual work was being done by somebody in another building. Due to a number of issues including poor communication, I wasn't 100% satisfied with the final product, but with a hard deadline we sent it off to the printer this week.

Today, I sent a PDF copy of the finished product to a bunch of my co-workers. Within 5 minutes, one department spotted a series of errors that my boss and I had completely overlooked and their supervisor came and showed it to me. I spent the rest of this morning kicking myself for not thinking to get them involved earlier.

I should be happy this long-running project is finished, but instead I can't think about it without feeling it should have been much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 12:11 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
It's the way our brains are wired. It is possible to override that default program with effort. It's worth the effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XFLTDQ4JMk

Old 07-21-2017, 03:52 AM

866 posts, read 629,728 times
Talking Negative early conditioning

Why Is It So Easy To Focus On The Negative?
I'd say it's because the negative involves pain or discomfort so that makes it more important to avoid or deal with than the positives. I imagine that PTSD can enter the picture and have person neurotically focused on avoiding or predicting pain to the exclusion of the positives in their life. Coming from a very dysfunctional, painful family, I am HYPER-sensitive to what's "negative" and nearly blind to the positives. I can spot a negative a mile away but often miss the positives!

Old 07-21-2017, 05:46 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
Why Is It So Easy To Focus On The Negative?
This will vary from person to person and change over a lifetime based on experience. Personally I acknowledge negatives, but don't dwell on those beyond my control.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:37 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Perhaps one reason is because negativity is rampant . . turn on the news, the main topics are bad news; they claim that bad news results in higher ratings than 'good' news.

I used to get chided at work for being in a good mood! Seriously! Way too often coworkers would say, "Why are you in such a good mood?" "Why do you smile so much?" "Aren't you ever in a bad mood?" And their tone of voice was critical, not complimentary. I suppose they were miserable and 'misery loves company'?

Old 07-21-2017, 10:44 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
MOST just to stop to think of all the positives in their lives. I hear it so much from some who have SO MUCH material crap.

The glass is HALF FULL. But to many the glass is HALF EMPTY.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:29 PM

1,089 posts, read 579,288 times
All good points. I think the reason the scenario I related above bugged me so much is because of how fast it happened. I never expected my finished product to be 100% flawless, but to have the first response to it, which came within 5-10 minutes, be "Look! We spotted a huge goof!" really rubbed me the wrong way. Handled differently, I probably would have been able to brush it off faster.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:45 AM

662 posts, read 1,644,079 times
It's a general trend in life, sad but true. It happens in all spheres, not just work. Knowing how it is, it still bothers me. I just reaffirm to myself each time that I won't be that type of person if/when I ever am in a position to point out another person's mistake (if it's required). And that scenario does come up from time to time. When it does, I focus on the positive aspects before noting the errors, and tell the person I recognize and appreciate the work and effort they put into it. Essentially, how I would want to be treated!

Old 07-22-2017, 09:49 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Without stinkin' thinkin' there would be much less drama and all too many seem to thrive on it. It gives purpose and excitement to their otherwise unfulfilling lives. As for me, I much prefer a cheerful outlook even in the face of adversity.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:07 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,419 times
Human nature. You ever notice that good news is never interesting? What else are you going to say but "great to hear or congratulations?"

Humans love to complain. Negatives also make you change things and makes you problem solve, which inspire a lot of talking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology