Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 02:13 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I agree somewhat.

Extreme viewpoints have been given a green light because of the internet. And because of our say/do anything president (which is more of a symptom of this new "freedom")

There have always been wackos on the left and right, but now we're just seeing more of it because those who would seethe in their basement, now have an outlet.

Elf and Greenpeace were doing their thing and White Nationalist Militiamen were doing their thing 20 years ago, but they were for the most part isolated.

What we have now with the internet is true freedom of speech, and you're going to see more and more of this as time goes on.

And this same phenomenon is why we also have ISIS.

The main issue is that people who are easily swayed by speech like this are being swayed because they now have their own "safe space" or communities online to bathe in whatever feedback chamber they want.

People want to belong to groups and people want meaning in their lives and a lot of people get that from finding a scapegoat, blacks, women, police, teachers, the government, the president, capitalism, communism, infidels, terrorists, to rally against.

People want to think they have then answer for their misfortunes or just life. And so they latch on to something they think is concrete rather than accept that for the most part there is no answer to their lot in life. Life just is.

And so when I see the Trumpers blindly believing their leader, or I see SJWs rally against Milo or whatever it is now, all the while all acting like children, I can at least understand it...but it still bums me out.

The actual Truth, whatever that means has left the building a long time ago.

---------------

All of that aside men's rights as a whole is ridiculous. I've met a few and they are legit dumb. Again it's blame women because they can't get a woman because women here aren't subservient. Most go to Thailand to hangout and try to get a wife, but soon find out that the 1950's don't exist anywhere. Or that their 90 day fiance isn't a plaything or arm candy and is an autonomous human being.

And hence why some believe that Trump and MAGA contains an aspect of that subservience. Taking America back to the times of one-income, stay at home mom, etc... I think a LOT of people want that and hence it's attachment to some aspects of Men's Rights.
Yes, the Internet, social media, etc etc.

Perspective and looking at the big picture and looking to cross check information is a major key as well as what is the source of info.

Too many people live in echo chambers and that is a problem as well. The media bias, the urge for rating, the 24 hr new cycle to fill the instant iformation without proper vetting. All of this stuff whirlwinds together and we're all running around like chickens with our heads cut off.

Again, people need perspective and research of information. I've about had it with this vocal minority and headline grabbing crap that has been going on the last few years.

It's sickening. In terms of the OP, I still stand by the idea that yeah there is sexism but there is also a WHOLE lot of chicken little going on as well not directed at the OP, but in general.

People need open and honest dialog with an interest in learning about things and various viewpoint, again, not living in an echo chamber. I think that would be a good approach.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:14 PM

710 posts, read 584,584 times
I think these quotes are equally as disgusting. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...9bac9ef65f.jpg

Old 07-21-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
I think these quotes are equally as disgusting. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...9bac9ef65f.jpg
They are again, the vocal fringe. Most rational women aren't buying into that stuff.

The term feminism has been stolen by the whack jobs and has morphed into something bad, feminism by the correct definition is simply equal access and opportunity, in a nutshell.

Christina Sommers is an old school back in the day feminist and she speaks and writes extensively about his co-opting and hijacking phenomena.

She's a good voice of reason. When you start dropping terms like "toxic masculinity" and making vast negative generalizations you've lost a lot of credibility with most people.

Feminism as some kooks define it is basically a brand of female chauvinism.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:25 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Incels are the fringe of a fringe. They hardly represent anyone but their own sorry sad selves.

There are tweets and blogs out there by self proclaimed "feminists" who advocate sterilizing/castrating men and using modern genetic science to create an all female race leading to the end of the Y chromosome.

Does that invalidate the women's right movement or feminism?

Old 07-21-2017, 08:26 PM

783 posts, read 576,740 times
Are you guys really taking a post about transplanting a dog brain into a woman's body seriously? Hate speech? WTF are you talking about? You know this is just a dumb post, right. They're a dime dozen, no, a penny a dozen on the internet.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:54 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
Some of those quotes are disgusting. Some of them are also very, very old.

The quote I posted - and there are many, many more just like it if you want to dig around- is recent, and serious, by a man who blames all women - ALL WOMEN- and our tiny little inferior brains for the fact that he's still a virgin.

I have never once heard a feminist claim that.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
Are you guys really taking a post about transplanting a dog brain into a woman's body seriously? Hate speech? WTF are you talking about? You know this is just a dumb post, right. They're a dime dozen, no, a penny a dozen on the internet.
Yes, and most of them are serious. Some are deadly serious. Frustrated women aren't going on rampages killing people because they feel they are somehow owed a sex partner, but some men are.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That's Elliot Roger level creepy.

A lot of these guys are alt-right and they claim they would get married if women were not so awful. They refuse to admit that all women are not awful, so they don't have a chance. No normal woman would date a guy that thinks this way. I am not sure why they want to alienate women when they seem to want them so badly.

MGTOW is just PUA that gave up.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane
They need to get those sexy robots going for these guys, maybe that'll shut them up.
Yeah, no. I'm not with you there. There should be no catering to these guys because they think they should get their way. I think giving them fake women's bodies would just increase their disassociation of women as real, valuable human beings.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, sexism exists, sure, I just don't think it's as rampant as online sites would suggest it is.
Again, Chow, I get where you're coming from, but I have to disagree. You are not female, and you are in a long term relationship, so you are not on the receiving end of this crap. You don't have it coming at you, wanted or unwanted. There are webpages, FB pages, blogs, etc. dedicated to women and others sharing the disgusting commentary that is sent to them - and I don't mean online dating, I mean just random, awful boys sending women terrible messages, pictures, comments, and online diatribes like the one I posted on page 1. I can link you to some of them if you'd like.

Now, it's not the same 20 guys doing this, Chow. It is spreading and growing because men are frustrated and angry and they are just randomly lashing out at women. Women are frustrated and angry too, but- in general- we don't blame the entire male populace for everything and send any random guy hate filled diatribes because we saw his comment on a youtube page. In general.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:48 PM

Meh, plenty of women who hate men blame the entire male populace. This crap goes both ways. Women are no better than men when it comes to this nastiness. For every story a woman has a man's got one too, but I don't think we're going to have a come to Jesus on this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology