Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 06:38 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Thanks for the idea! How many mg do you take, and at what point of day?

I take (3) 3mg tablets one hour before I want to fall asleep.
I weigh 225 Lbs so you may want to lower your dosage to keep it proportional to your personal weight.

I am not a Doctor, nor have ever played one on T.V., so you may want to inform yourself about Melatonin first.
I've added 2 links about it below so you can read about Melatonin even though it is a ubiquitous non prescription (over the counter) chemical.

Melatonin for Sleep: Hormone and Supplement Effects on Sleep

MELATONIN: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 06:40 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
When you retire you can be both. Then you fall asleep on the sofa after your afternoon meal.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:14 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,711 times
That's a shame about your apartment not allowing any window treatments. That morning sun would ruin my sleeping too.

I have gone from night owl to early to bed to all of the above. Right now, this new DH is an early to bed person, and he gets up at 3am. I get up with him but try to go back to sleep by 5. I must use the ear plugs and eye mask by then though.

In your situation?...try the melatonin for sure. Naps don't happen during the day for me anymore.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:25 AM

20 posts, read 17,360 times
Honestly it really depends on how bad you want something out of life, if you want it bad enough you will work for it. With that being said, maybe you can't just do it overnight turning yourself from one type of person to another, but you can slowly start working your way towards being that way. Needless to say..."baby steps".

It's very possible, and you are sure capable of it, I know it so.

Start thinking about the positive aspect about being a morning person. For me it's easy because I'm not a night owl, simply because I can't stay up late, even when I party. Sure, every once in a while I can, but for the most part I sleep before midnight and I'm up before 8:00am typically. Due to my job I wake up at 4:00 on the dot, therefore that leads me to not sleep late.

Try and think of all the great things a morning person does that a night owl doesn't.

My honest opinion?
Night owls are generally just people who crave and loathe in parties, that's usually what's going on late at night, parties, nightclubs, wasting time and wasting life. Generally morning people are up and at it to start the day and enjoy every minute of it while the sun is up. As long as you're up by 8:30 you should be fine, don't go overboard and be one of those people that set an alarm for 6:00am every weekend unless you're planning a trip or something in particular. Enjoy some sleep, enjoy the day.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:27 AM

375 posts, read 319,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Your body clock is mostly determined by genes. As for me, I'm an "extreme Lark." My body awakens me at 3:30 AM every morning. But I also get tired early so I'm in bed by 7 PM

I've always been that way. I inherited it from my mother. Two of my brothers have the same disorder; luckily my kids were not impacted.

Bottom line: I think you have to adapt to your body clock. You can fight it for brief periods but you can't change it. When I was working and had to stay up late to entertain clients I could do it for a few days but would then get very tired. Now that I'm retired, I use the wee hours to read.
I think it's genetics, too. I've been more of a night owl my entire life. My father has always been a night owl. My mother has always been an early bird! Even after retirement.

I've always tried to work second shift hours. This jives with my natural sleep rythmn. I tried the more traditional work hours of having to be to work by 6:45A (worked 7A-7P) and was miserable for the two years that I did it. I don't care how tired I was I could not go to sleep at 9 or 10P. Having to get up at 4:30A was the worst.

I do work 12 hour shifts and work 11A-11P and love it! I'm even considering another position with hours of 1P to 1A!!

Old 07-23-2017, 01:53 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,868 times
Genes certainly come into play. My father worked the overnight shift his entire life. Left for work at 11pm, got off work at 8am, home by 9 for dinner. Slept until about 5pm, got up to have a snack, cut grass, whatever. Slept another hour or so in the evening then back off to work, six nights a week. Even during vacations he held to basically the same hours.

I found very early in life, junior high or so, that my natural rhythm was asleep by maybe 3am and up around 10am or so. It took less than a day or two to turn my schedule around from school hours to night time hours. It took most of the school year to turn it back to a 7am rise. Even now I simply can't fall asleep before one, one-thirty or so with a seven rise. Don't even bother trying to adjust and on weekends I honestly fall back to the natural schedule.

The few morning rise jobs I've had over the years, including the current one, have been relatively awful. The best ones were when I had an afternoon or evening shift, overnights were tolerable.

So, can you? Yes, if need be. But you'll probably never really enjoy it.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Please do not "sleep shame."
Kidding, right?

Old 07-23-2017, 01:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Why does you lease disallow window treatments? There are many options that do not require invasive installation that leaves damages. You can even get stick-on shades.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:53 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Is it really possible to go from night owl to morning person?
Nope; I don't believe so!

It IS possible to act like a morning person (I've had to do that). To "do what you have to do for a certain period of time" (had to do that too) & even to try to fool yourself into believing that you can become a morning person (been there) ... but unless you can self-mutate your own DNA on demand; I doubt it is truly possible.

Genes that control our body temperature cycles can influence our "body clocks" & "night-owls" don't experience the rise in body tempature at the same time as morning people.

I have had to have an early start to the day for some stretches in my life & I know that if I absolutely have to; I can do it for about a year & a half before I hit the wall.

Quote:
Getting enough sleep isn't the problem.

I'm fortunate enough to have flexible work hours, but because of living in a super sunny studio with an early morning husband and dog, I learned quickly that I had to go to bed early (11pm) and wake up early (6am) every single day without fail if I don't want to completely lack sleep. I sleep through the night fine.

But compared to when I was able to be on my desired schedule (going to bed at 3am, waking at 10am), I constantly feel blah. I feel like dying every time I wake up, and through the whole day, I feel so dull and exhausted until after dark...but then I have to force myself to go to bed a few hours after that. :/

I've been on this early schedule for many months now, and it's not getting any better. My husband visited family out of state for a week and took the dog with him, and after one night being on my own schedule, I felt GREAT. My mind felt super sharp again, I was physically much more full of pep, and I was in a much more positive mood.

As soon as he and the dog were back as was the early bed/rise regimen, I was back to feeling like crap.

Will it ever get better?

My husband is taking an afternoon nap as I write this...I cannot do that. Once I'm up, I'm up. And he wonders why I've been irritable lately.
Well; you are not alone. I get anxious every night around 7pm because I'm ready to take on the world but everybody else wants dinner & then to wind down for bedtime.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:05 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
I've always been an early riser and not a night person. Even when working late into the evening, I woke up early. I'm retired with no schedule and still wake up around 7am....a couple of hours later than when I was working but not very late!

Two very close friends need three or four hours of sleep, night and morning persons. They are thinking and functional no matter the hour. Wouldn't being in little need of sleep be nice?

Last edited by texan2yankee; 07-23-2017 at 03:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology